Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing i did not think this through …

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    La_

I had a notion to build a ‘lock box’ of sorts,

like stretched canvas is impenetrably secure, :lol:

8×10 board canvas and stretched canvas hinged together

outside and inside(unfinished) pix and a lock (too big) option pic

the ‘hinges’ are painted strips of canvas, glued on and kinda wibbly.

the front is the stretched one/back is board: the other way around probably would have been better, but i prefer the stretched image for the cover. i’ll have to add some kind of bracket or pocket of sorts inside to hold ‘treasures’

the next try will be two stretched skeletons with boards attached ’cause that seems more sturdy all in all – tho no more secure, really, given how easy it would be to tuck under ones coat and walk away with.

so many foibles, normal for a prototype i suppose

the ultimate goal is to transform some of the Many painting i’ve accumulated into some sorts of functional furniture or something to add salability options. alas, i’m really not a crafter nor carpenter nor owner of any power tools, but if i can get two or three decent prototype options i do know a guy …

so yeah, giggle at my idiocy and/or tell me it’ll be brilliant if i just do this and that to fix it up :angel:

la

bongo

I think it’s a great idea. I suppose you would use it to store papers – letters.
            You could make one or both covers out of deep 1 1/2″ panels or canvas if you wanted more storage space. I think it goes better with canvas hinges. If needed you could put real hinge – piano hinge, maybe, and then hide that with strips of canvas

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
            STUDIOBONGO

WFMartin

Gosh, I am usually very unimpressed with craft stuff like this, however, right now I’m thinking……..”Secret storage compartment for a ‘normal’ painting.”

I like the idea of being able to “store stuff” within the parameters of the stretcher bars of a stretched canvas.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

bongo

I like the idea of being able to “store stuff” within the parameters of the stretcher bars of a stretched canvas.

The painting hangs innocently on the wall, but it’s really a safe for passports and hundred dollar bills.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                    STUDIOBONGO

Dorrart

A similar choice would be cradled panel instead of canvas, not as likely to show items stored there, or develop a hole easily. Cool idea.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

bongo

instead of hiding a safe behind the painting, the paint is the safe.

STUDIOBONGO

DaveCrow

I like this. For hinges canvas, or leather at a pinch I may try this at home.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

NRC

No external hinges. Hinge inside. Take a cue from cabinets. Push to open, counter sunk magnets. Can’t think of proper name.

Nell

[SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Navy]I'm a fixer-upper. I like the puzzle of it all. I like to get myself into trouble and try to work my way out of it. I'm never going to run out of substandard stuff. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Narrow]Robert Genn[/SIZE]

DK4242

When we were clearing out my Mom’s house after she died, we took all the art off the walls to get house ready to paint. She had a large 40″ x 60″ painting over the head of the bed in the master bedroom. We were taking it down and money started falling on the floor. About half the artwork in her house had money behind it. She did all the money hiding before we moved into her house and it had been there for all the years we took care of her. Never even crossed our minds to look. I’ll bet I straightened all of them several dozen times. Not a clue.

Inside hinges with rare earth magnets to hold the frames closed. As long as you can drill a shallow hole, just big enough for the diameter of the magnets, you can just put them in the hole and cover them with quick set epoxy and you have an instant invisible latch. Make sure you orient the poles of the magnets properly or they’ll repel one another. And don’t use too large of a diameter magnet or you have to use pry bar to get the frame open.

I’ve used these for wet panel box lids. They stay on even if the box goes flying.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=32065&cat=1,42363,42348

La_

ha, good story, DK
                                            leave it to moms to have the same paintings in the same spots for decades. as a working artist – this Never happens in my world.
                                            (or the coffee can in the top cupboard)

I’ve also made books into hidden storage receptacles … and old VHS cases – both work well as being inconspicuous and easy to hide in plain sight.

my only concern with any of these ideas, or hiding cash in ones mattress, is fire.

freezers are a pretty safe place from fire.
                                            and/or burying glass jars in your back yard.

thanks, everyone, for your 2cents – please share any constructions you build, i’d love to see what you come up with.

la

_____________________________________________
                                            When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know Peace

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.