Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Calligraphy Catridge pen suitability?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Green Ink

I’ve noticed that fountain pens can be very expensive and I was wondering if a cartridge pen is suitable for such writing and where to start as regards buying one.

I’m not sure I want to get into calligraphy just yet but maybe some time down the line, once I’ve got used to using that kind of nib, I might do, but for now I’d just like to try writing with such a nib. I don’t have loads of money so cartridge pens seem a more logical choice for someone on a tight budget.
        I’m in the UK.
        Thanks.

"An artist must have the freedom to create"
        Edward Weston

My Facebook Art Page

Anonymous

The answer depends on what sort of calligraphy you want to do,if you post a link to an example you admire & aspire too I’ll be able to tell you.
            This callig. forum is pretty much dead unfortunately.
            Mike

Green Ink

The answer depends on what sort of calligraphy you want to do,if you post a link to an example you admire & aspire too I’ll be able to tell you.
                This callig. forum is pretty much dead unfortunately.
                Mike

Like I said, I’m not sure I want to get into calligraphy per se, I just want to try writing with such a pen.

Edward Weston

My Facebook Art Page

Anonymous

Well the problem is that there are different pens for different types of pens for different styles of calligraphy.
                    Yes fountain pens are used for for some types, they have a broad flat chisel shape ,”manuscript” make the best ones & you can pick them up in Rymans.They are very cheap but are high quality (even pro’s will use them for some work)
                    For a different type of calligraphy which is very”in” at the moment wrongly but very widely known as “modern calligraphy” that “Pentel touch brush pen” I mentioned the other day works very well.
                    One or both of those pens would be a great start.
                    The net is buzzing with calligraphy everywhere & there is plenty of high quality info out there.
                    Mike

Green Ink

How about a handwriting pen, not a calligraphy pen. That’s what I want to start with. I’ve never used one.

Edward Weston

My Facebook Art Page

Anonymous

Well I love fountain pens & the line they give,the highest quality (by far) for the cheapest price is in this stuff I wrote a while back https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415129 . You can get this at “cult pens”, I would advise that you get one or both of the larger sizes for writing & the smaller if you want to draw with them too.
                            Don’t imagine you are doing calligraphy with them by writing with them, even though I love to both write & draw with them, there really is something very special about fountain pens.
                            Mike

Green Ink

Well I love fountain pens & the line they give,the highest quality (by far) for the cheapest price is in this stuff I wrote a while back [url]https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415129[/url] . You can get this at “cult pens”, I would advise that you get one or both of the larger sizes for writing & the smaller if you want to draw with them too.
                                Don’t imagine you are doing calligraphy with them by writing with them, even though I love to both write & draw with them, there really is something very special about fountain pens.
                                Mike

Cheers for that! I’ve been watching YouTube videos and you know, I fancy trying a dip pen. Cheaper and can use more types of ink. Has a steeper learning curve but I’m sure I could handle it.
                                I think ultimately I want to get into botanical illustration, (I’m mad about plants, hence my username), black ink to start with. But who knows…

Edward Weston

My Facebook Art Page

Green Ink

So I got myself a dip pen set, 5 different nibs marked as follows
                                    III EF, 33,GENERAL,801 and 518

The one marked 801 is different to the others in that is a dark bronze colour and the stem is a tube, to go in the red holder.

[Img]https://i.imgur.com/1RQ9yJL.jpg[/img]

Edward Weston

My Facebook Art Page

Anonymous

Brilliant there’s a whole world of drawing in there !:thumbsup: Do show us the results & tell me your first impressions on dip pens -when you surface for air that is ! :lol:
                                        That tubular shaped 801 is known generically as a “crow quill” because that is the what it was made from originally.
                                        Have fun exploring the strange new land of dip pens :) , Mike

Green Ink

Brilliant there’s a whole world of drawing in there !:thumbsup: Do show us the results & tell me your first impressions on dip pens -when you surface for air that is ! :lol:
                                            That tubular shaped 801 is known generically as a “crow quill” because that is the what it was made from originally.
                                            Have fun exploring the strange new land of dip pens :) , Mike

Cheers. I have no idea where to start. Is there a certain type of paper I need? Once I’d bought what I wanted (this set, some fineliners with a brush pen, and a bottle of ink, all from Hobbycraft in Stockton today) I had no money left for a proper pad. The calligraphy pads in there are bloody expensive, so I just picked up a simple A5 pad for £1 to start with.

Edward Weston

My Facebook Art Page

Anonymous

Cheers. I have no idea where to start. Is there a certain type of paper I need? Once I’d bought what I wanted (this set, some fineliners with a brush pen, and a bottle of ink, all from Hobbycraft in Stockton today) I had no money left for a proper pad. The calligraphy pads in there are bloody expensive, so I just picked up a simple A5 pad for £1 to start with.

Well those dip pens are used on bristol board although you can get away with that shiny brochure copy paper if it has some quality about it.”IQ. selection Smooth” is very good for pen work.
                                                Sometimes if you are toiling over a pen drawing for days the robustness allows you to rub out without damage & the corners don’t go dog eared -Bristol board is essential then !
                                                What you are after is a hard, very smooth & non absorbent surface.
                                                Some cartridge paper works well too,http://www.curtisward.com/surfaces/drawing-paper/illustration-and-calligraphy the “Surrey” cartridge on here is cheap & a bit thin but is just fine for working on, it might suit your purposes perfectly ? I say that because what you really need is paper of sufficient quality so poor materials don’t trip you up yet not so expensive that you hesitate & feel the pain of the price of paper .
                                                More than anything What you really need to do is to cover a few square yards of paper !
                                                BTW, the “Canson bristol board” is proper good quality at a good price .
                                                These papers will handle any of the pens you mention above.

Cheers Mike
                                                PS. dip pens come with a thin film of oil or wax on them ,so steep them in boiling water for 30secs & then wipe them. It’s hell if you don’t !

Green Ink

Thanks Mike. I started practicing on the back of some old envelopes to start with, then progressed to the pad I bought (140 gsm). I tried the alphabet with each nib and discovered I preferred 2 nibs; the 33 and the 801. I did find at times that when I’m moving the nib towards me on the downstroke that some of the nibs were catching on the paper then flicking ink out. Not ideal. I didn’t know about the coating you mentioned, and just used them straight out of the pack.

Edward Weston

My Facebook Art Page

Ted B.

Goulet Pens and Jetpens are great resources for fountain pens, and some are quite affordable.  The line of Platinum Preppies can be had for $5-6 per pen.  And a number of manufacturers offer broad or italic tips that are perfect for calligraphy.

I’ve been using a pair of cheap Schaeffer calligraphy cartridge pens for years.  Sometimes with cartridge ink, and sometimes dry just as drip pens.

Radical Fundemunsellist

Mimi Richman

As a beginner in calligraphy, I prefer to choose brushes for writing letters. Can you recommend me any good brush pen?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.