Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Warm & Cool of Each Primary

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    RaphaelG1

I recently attended an oil-painting workshop where the instructor asked us to lay out a warm and cool of each of the 3 Primaries. “Uh-Oh” was my immediate thought and by the looks on the faces of most of the others they shared the same thought.
        I know the basics — blues are cool and reds are warm but beyond that I’m at a loss.
        What colors would you chose??
        Is there a link you might provide that explains this??
        Thanks

Ralph
        "Oh what dust we raise" said the fly upon the chariot wheel

What the teacher asked you to do was to make a split primary palette.The split primary palette is made by primary colours that are placed in the palette in both their warm and cool versions.

A cadmium red is a warm red that leans towards yellow. A magenta is a cool red that leans towards blue.
        Same for cadmium yellow or gamboge yellow that both are warm yellows that have a slightly reddish undertone, while lemon yellow has a bluish undertone and so it has a slightly greenish hue.
        Warm glue is the Prussian blue that looks a bit greenish while cool blue is Cobalt blue.
        Generally speaking a split primary palette allows you to mix a huge number of mixes and if you add in these six colour another two, an earthy brown and a green then you can mix everything.

There are countless threads related with this subject here in WC ( make a search) and below is an informative and interesting article ( in pdf) to read.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=842601&d=1480210233

…..
        Warm glue [sic] is the Prussian blue that looks a bit greenish while cool blue is Cobalt blue……

In the article to which you linked, the green leaning blue would be cooler. This does not mean that you are wrong and the article is right (or vice-versa). Describing colors as warm or cool is just bad terminology.

C&C is welcome.
        Richard

La_

there are indeed warm and cool blues [and reds and yellows]
            very beneficial to know them and wrap your head around using them appropriately – for example, shadows are best cold and highlights are best warm – this usage is huge in enhancing depth in a painting.

google: list of cool oil pigments … same for warm.

la

musket

I would say ultramarine is a warm blue; it leans red. Cerulean is a cool blue leaning towards green.

Manganese blue, if you can find any, leans even more green and mixed with Hansa Yellow Light will yield a limpid, very clear green. Substitute ultramarine for the manganese and you’ll get a more subdued green, since ultramarine leans red.

Cobalt is about as close to a neutral blue as it gets.

In the article to which you linked, the green leaning blue would be cooler. This does not mean that you are wrong and the article is right (or vice-versa). Describing colors as warm or cool is just bad terminology.

You are right but I’m not the right person to change this terminology.

You are right but I’m not the right person to change this terminology.

Neither am I.

C&C is welcome.
                Richard

ianuk

Red would be cad red light – warm. Allizeron crimson – cold.
                    Yellow would be cad yellow deep – warm lemon yellow – cold.
                    Blue would be cerulean warmest cobalt coolest.
                    Many will disagree, but this would be my choice.

I’d say a drawback of many artists is a good sense of colour. However, on a personal basis I think understanding the values of colour is more important, get the values right and it negates mistakes with colour.

musket

To each their own, but you really think cerulean is warmer than ultramarine?

ianuk

Direct from the tube, yes.
                            Mixed, no.

john

Cerulean blue tends towards green, which means warmer, which confuses me. My approach to color is, let’s say, casual. :) I go by the approach that if it looks right it is.

It is. Cerulean is greener than ultramarine; green is yellow+blue, so Cerulean contains more yellow than Ultramarine.

Hence, Cerulean is warmer, by the amount of yellow in it.

Forcing the waveform to collapse for two decades...
                                http://www.syntheticskystudios.com
                                Hilliard Gallery, Kansas City, "Small Works", December 2019

[COLOR=”Teal]It is. Cerulean is greener than ultramarine; green is yellow+blue, so Cerulean contains more yellow than Ultramarine.
                                Hence, Cerulean is warmer, by the amount of yellow in it.[/COLOR]

By the same argument…… “Ultramarine is purpler than cerulean, purple is red-blue, so ultramarine contains more red than cerulean. Hence, Ultramarine is warmer, by the amount of red in it.” :evil:

C&C is welcome.
                                Richard

musket

Right. There seem to be those two ways of looking at it. And there seems to be no agreement.

The coolness or the warmness of a colour is relative. Depends on what are the other colours in your palette. If you include Prussian blue in your palette then Ultramarine is a Cool blue, and Cerulean a lighter shade of a warm blue, while the Cobalt blue becomes the coolest of the blues ( and not neutral).
                                    Same happens with the other colours.
                                    Quinacridone Red is for instance a rather cool red ( as it can mix perfectly mauves and oranges when is mixed even with the coolest blues and yellows) but it is warmer than a magenta ( a PV19 or a PR122) while the Q. Rose is warmer than the equivalent ( and of the same pigment PV19) Q. Magenta.
                                    It is all about the line up you have and there is nothing absolute unless we are talking about pure printing primaries, the Yellow and Magenta and Cyan that are used on printers or printing machines.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.