Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The Library of Figurative Art Resources Group Project – Virtual Life Session courtesy of Cafe Croquis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

This thread has been started to encourage group participation in a virtual life drawing session. The videos and additional reference photos have been provided by OnAirVideo. There is a short introduction to each video and the producers accept donations to allow them to continue with their work.

Please post all work and discussion on this thread. Although these can never replace life sessions in real life they provide a good resource for people who are unable to attend life sessions and also useful practice between life sessions for those who can.

The videos
    Female model: Simone

[antv]0Q7QPzM-iyY[/antv]

Male model: Dwayne

[antv]OmfJNgxVTXU[/antv]

Suggestions:

[*]Make the video full screen. To do this you will need to click on the “YouTube” button at the bottom of the video to open in you tube and then by clicking on the square dashed box on the lower right.[INDENT]

[/INDENT]
      [*]Run through the video at the time given with no freezes.
      [*]Concentrate on the gesture for the quick poses and don’t try to draw everything.
      [*]More time could be spent on by freezing the video on a particular pose. This may come in handy for the first video which has a tricky perspective for the five minute pose. However, I would recommend that you also try the videos at their actual speed as well.

Nathan.
    C&C always appreciated.
    My art on Instagram

starduskmoon

Please let me know if we’re supposed to comment/post here. :) I regretfully am unable to attend true sessions but since finding the Croquis folks on youtube, I’ve had lot of fun trying to do the 1 minute and longer poses. I kind of go back and forth between them and other sites that have time photos that you can draw from. Thank you for the link for their photo archives. I didn’t even know those were available. I’m still a beginner at figure drawing but I hope to post soon.

Hi StarDuskMoon. Yes the intention was that people would use the videos and photos and post on this thread. Unfortunately since the thread was posted last year there hasn’t been much interest. I confess that I maybe should have started the ball rolling by posting some of my own scribbles.

Nathan.
        C&C always appreciated.
        My art on Instagram

ronart

I think it is a great idea for those of us who does not have the opportunity to work from a live model, the different time limit forces you to work within the time frame . thanks hope to see some post here soon

ronart

Idid 6 i min sketches and one 5 min , not ready to post yet :) , man 1 min goes fast

Ronnie

I’m glad you found them useful Ronnie. Here are my attempts. Whilst I used to do these a lot (I tried to do at least one a day or one hour short poses from photographs) I’d forgotten how short 1 minute was and started off too timidly. Oddly this happened with the second session too as I wasn’t sure how to represent the model’s muscle bulk. In both cases though simplifying, looking more and drawing less gives better results. These are propelling pencil on A4 printer paper.

Nathan.
                C&C always appreciated.
                My art on Instagram

ronart

thanks Nathan, yea I was quiet intimidated and it didn’t go as well as expected because I know i can draw fairly well, I felt to much need to rush . your sketches are really good ! do you ever go back and do any corrections on the 1 min poses ?

Ronnie

I’ve not corrected on these (to be true to the time) though I do usually particularly when I realise afterwards what I should have concentrated on. It is very much a practice thing, I’ve done thousands of these and I would have drawn these before (over a year ago). Whilst they usually end up in the recycling bin I have done a couple of collages with some. A link to one is here.

Nathan.
                    C&C always appreciated.
                    My art on Instagram

starduskmoon

hehe Ya’ll are way more advanced then I. I do feel like I’m getting better from doing these though. I hope to post my gestures soon. :D

`polarstar

Hello everyone! I am happy to find this thread . Prior WC I trained by my own… so where are we now? My latest CC are 158 and 159 … Hope I am allowed already to post images…

Victoria
                            `polarstar

Hello again! :wave:
                                Here are my sketches… I am aware they are far from good. Anyhow I encourage any kind of comments and critique…

Office paper A4

Victoria

I think you’ve caught a lot of movement in these and the longer lines (plus details in the hands) really add rhythm. Thanks for sharing Victoria.

Nathan.
                                C&C always appreciated.
                                My art on Instagram

`polarstar

Thank you for your opinion, Descartes!. Pity you haven’t said anything to improve sketches, it’s the most important part !

My main headache is proportions ! So I absolutely neglect the desirable time; I do sketches as much time as I need… :confused:

Victoria
                                    Everyone

Wonderful that this thread is getting going! :clap:

Nathan, those are beautiful little drawings — every one of them! I actually really like all the working lines, correct or not. Adds to the feel. Bravo! :thumbsup:

Victoria: Nice work! Great proportions and continuity in them all. :clap:

I will make a point to do some soon, and then post them. Too tired right now….

Cheers, Lauren
                                        https://www.facebook.com/LaurenFosterMacLeod/
                                        Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lauren.fosterm/

I must admit that I haven’t had much to do with this thread so far,:( but I commend Nathan for starting it off :thumbsup: I do think that Croquis Cafe is a terrific resource and would be well worth supporting and encouraging.

I don’t have an internet connection during the day when I go down to my studio, but I do have some of the sessions on my computer there and sometimes when I feel the need for a change of pace and some sketching I will do some quick studies… usually all over the backs of my pile of junk life drawings…

such as this

and then they all get turfed out.

Mac

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.