WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2020, 04:16 PM
Glasgow

Hails from Romania
Moonlit Cove

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Moonlit Cove
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11.5x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is inspired from a video game

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any input is welcome, what you like, what you don't ,about the colour, composition, etc
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2020, 08:39 PM

Re: Moonlit Cove

There are a lot of sharp edges/lines creating sharp contrasts between light and dark in the rock formations behind the building structure. I think it would look more natural if these were remedied.

The edge of the waterline is quite distinct as well, this could be softened (and the waterline made more varied), as the water would be thinning out slowly as it extends out onto the beach. The gradation from dark blue to very light blue/transparent water would likely be more gradual than you have depicted.

Watch your symmetry on the building. One side is slightly larger than the other.

Using photo reference will help your paintings become more believable.

I think this is a very creative fantasy landscape! Nice work
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2020, 02:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

Greens can be more natural if you add a hint of a red or brown to them.. the mossy hills green looks good, the ferns & palms need some darks underneath & inside then the green/red mix..
Maybe a curved shoreline would look more cove like?
The straight line of water across the bottom - the perspective & colors of the water does not look like waves washing on a beach..

Softer edges/lines & colors for distance , stronger colors, sharper lines for closer & focal areas..

Notice how the rocks are harder edged than the building, so they come forward and the building is just filler object..

Things to study - Values, light direction & shadows, hard & soft edges...and perspective..

Sky & whole scene seems much to bright for moonlight...?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=528
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2020, 02:58 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

I had a little bit of time, to show you some softer edge ideas, my mouse work is not the best and the program I used didn't have the smudging tool, so it got a quite over blended..But the basic ideas are there.

If you want to keep the moonlight title , you have to tint and blue the whole scene, it is just too bright for moonlight..right now..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=528
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2020, 07:14 AM
Glasgow

Hails from Romania

Thank you guys, a lot of great advice.
I already started to fix the temple , it was even a bit tilted. Used my level, like the engineer that I am )
I will try to incorporate your other advice and show you the result.
The lanscape it's suposed to be during daytime, I guess yeah the title is confusing, but that's the name of the location in the game. )
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2020, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member

I like the strong contrast of the values in the mountains they look perfection against the sky I would not touch that AT ALL ...but yet again here I go with my movement (I am a little obsessed with it you will have to excuse lol) yeah you need to get movement into those waves..