Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Beginner portait WIP feedback and tips?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cbodnar

I am currently working on this piece of Greta Thunberg for a friend of mine. The pose and composition were mostly influenced by the person’s preferences, as well as the limited color palette.

I am still pretty new to painting, and oils imo–always learning, and getting a better hang of things! Current palette consists of Payne’s Grey, Lemon Yellow, Alizarin Crimsom, and Titanium White. I don’t typically use out of the tube blacks(hence the Payne’s Grey, which I believe pairs a bit nicer with the orange), but I am still deciding if I will use some for this piece as I’m finishing. I am also having a hard time deciding on the colors (or tones? I guess?) of the shirt, which I don’t want to over complicate (and have scraped the paint off once already). The ear is another place I have removed paint and intend to rework (as well as the hair). The texturing in the background also needs doing (or scraping and redoing, but was feeling out the color and whether a lighter shade would look better).

I am pleased with progress but still feel like there’s the hardest parts to go.

https://imgur.com/a/D9kn2T2

The image was too large to post directly though I can probably figure it out if need be. Thanks in advance for you responses!

can you upload the reference photo?

cbodnar

thank you for uploading those, Its not easy since your painting is based on an illustration also in a different pose. Also that is a monochrome and not limited palette. I think you have done well for your friend!

kentiessen

It would be of great help if you uploaded your image onto WetCanvas- you’ll most likely get more feedback if viewers can see it here.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.