Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Great Horned Owl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    yellow_oxide

Here’s what I’ve drawn on page one of an art journal. I used a .9mm mechanical pencil at the start but then switched to a .2mm pencil for everything else. The actual size is about 3.5″x3″

Reference photo from Alicia Elliott on Paint my Photo.

Beautiful!

Christel

Merriweather

Beautiful drawing, beautiful bird.

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

yellow_oxide

It’s not often that I put this much effort into a graphite drawing, but maybe I’ll do more. I’m working on a small fox portrait right now.

Beautiful work, and so much lovely detail for a small drawing. Wonderful!

Jenna

My website: https://www.thecozyred.com/

GPB7865

doesn’t get much better than this. great work

ncgirl

Exquisite features! Owls are such good subjects. Cant wait to see the fox!

Sandra

This is very nice. One thing that I did notice was the solid line across the top of the head and up the ear. Makes the head too flat for feathers. Try to absorb construction lines into the shading as they don’t exist in nature. As a suggestion, try to get your darkest darks even darker. It’s the contrast that makes a drawing “pop” or stand out and since the paper sets the lightest whites, it’s up to us to set the range of contrast by getting the blacks as dark as we can. Since the pupil is basically a black hole, it’s hard to get that too dark which then sets the range for everything else. Other than that however, this is very nice.

yogiadobe

Stunning Josh well done!!! :thumbsup:

John : Aldbrough graphite artist.

"The longest & hardest route to the end of your journey, is often the most rewarding."
                            yellow_oxide

Thanks again everyone.

Yeah, there are a few places that faint sketchy lines need to be erased, and the blacks could have been darker. Actually, at the start I wasn’t planning on doing this much detail. It just kept progressing. :)

Should I make a new thread for the fox drawing? I also made an ibex, and there could start to be a lot of threads if they each get their own.

kin3

I like it. good job

123harry

This is really well done. I like it precisely because it looks like pencil marks….but also like a living creature. Super.

C&C always welcome.
                                        Instagram harry.hamill

browndl

Very nice. You really captured the intensity of the owl’s solemn gaze.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes Romans 1:16
                                            My Blog

woodenpalette

great work!

Take a look at my personal website:

Pastel and Drawing Tutorials: http://www.woodenpalette.com

fedetony

what a beauty… :)

Federico Garcia
                                                    My Blog
                                                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.