Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting oil pastels and oil paint compatibility

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sceper

I apologize if this has already been addressed, but I can’t seem to find a post on topic in the archives.
        My question is, can one combine oil paint and oil pastels or oil sticks in the same painting?
        I would like to do some of the underpainting and some of the final details with the pastels. Can they be intermixed?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

guillot

Hi sceper, welcome to the oils forum. I believe the rule of thumb here is that you can not use them under the oils. You can use regular pastels under oils for an “underpainting”, but not oil pastels.

Do a search for pastels in the oils forum, I know that we have discussed this before :)

Tina

Here is some more info from a John Elliott website:

(January 3, 2003) Can you use oil paints and oil pastels in the same piece of artwork? What order should they be used, pastels first or paints first?

Yes, you can combine oil paints and oil pastels in the same painting. Generally, the paint should go on first. This is because oil pastel never really dries and forever remains somewhat workable – oil paint on top of it would crack and generally be unstable.; whereas the oil paint creates a hard skin and creates a firm base for the oil pastel on top of it. I particularly like to let water-soluble oil paint dry to the tacky stage, and then work oil pastel over it. Remember though that the oil pastel will never dry with a hard skin, so could be damaged if your multimedia work is not framed under glass or plastic.

Why is it that the “oil pastel will never dry with a hard skin”???

sceper

Hi sceper, welcome to the oils forum. I believe the rule of thumb here is that you can not use them [B]under[/B] the oils. You can use regular pastels under oils for an “underpainting”, but not oil pastels.

Do a search for pastels in the oils forum, I know that we have discussed this before :)

Tina

Here is some more info from a John Elliott website:

Thank you for the info and the welcome. I’ve been lurking here for quite a while. This site has been a source of great information and inspiration.

I’m a bit puzzled about your comment about using regular pastels under oil. Would you use a fixative over them?

Also, what’s the address of the website you cited?

Thanks again.

JamieWG

Why is it that the “oil pastel will never dry with a hard skin”???

They are generally made with a non-drying mineral oil, rather than a drying oil like linseed.

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                    Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                    [/url]
                    One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Tha would be so the sticks dont dry …

sceper

Tha would be so the sticks dont dry …

After search somemore I found the following and pretty much answered my own question. For those also wondering, here is a response by Marc S.

“… Oil sticks and oil bars are just two different terms for the same thing. The medium isn’t quite well established to have a standardized name, so every manufacturer calls their version something different. “Oil stick” is Sennelier, “Oil bar” is Winsor & Newton. Either way (and ditto for Shiva PaintStick), it is basically oil paint with enough wax to hold make it hold its shape. It will still mix like oil paint (although I don’t think people generally do this on a palette), and will still dry / cure like oil paint. In fact, just like a blob of oil paint you squeeze onto your palette and leave too long, it starts to dry from the outside in, and you have to peel away the “skin” that forms to get to the usable stuff inside.

Oil pastel is different. Same basic ingredients – pigment, oil, and wax – but the binder is *mostly* wax, with just a little oil to improve its handling properties. As a result, color don’t really mix like they do with oil paint. It is much more like pastel, or crayon (which is oil pastel without the oil) – the belnding is more optical than physical. And it won’t ever completely dry or cure like an oil painting, although it might dry a little. The sticks themselves are the same texture all the way through, and do not form skins.”

Thanks for the comprehensive answer :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                      • The topic ‘oil pastels and oil paint compatibility’ is closed to new replies.