Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio June 2019 Watercolor Challenge – Mendicant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author

This month a fantastic portrait photograph by Prasanna in the RIL.

RIL Photo

I adjusted the darks a little in my thumbnail to show his right eye better.

I hope you enjoy the challenge I started it in class and traced it on a window but my lines came out rather dark, I hope I can make a presentable job of it. If not it is worth doing again. I aim to use a jellyroll white pen for his whiskers.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Merriweather

Thank you Doug…

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

calvin_0

this is gonna be hard… last time i drew a human, it look like they belongs in hellraiser XD

Another challenge to try out of my comfort zone. Will give it a try anyway.

LIL

this is gonna be hard… last time i drew a human, it look like they belongs in hellraiser XD

If you can trace the image, approach the painting slowly gradually darkening the colours and finally add the cast shadows. You will surprise yourself.

Doug

jlcookaz

Oh, This one will be fun! Thank you for the challenge!

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Janice Cook :music:
                http://atouchcreative.com

bikegrinch

Wow, this one looks like fun

mizree

Love the reflected light in the shadows.

Karin.................. C&C appreciated! PM if you prefer. Some paintings: https://imgur.com/gallery/oA9ohor

calvin_0

If you can trace the image, approach the painting slowly gradually darkening the colours and finally add the cast shadows. You will surprise yourself.

Doug

thanks for the tips.

monarch

Thank you, Doug. This photo is a great choice!

C&C welcome and appreciated

Lyndylu

I can’t wait to catch up with the ones I’ve missed and get to this one. Great challenge, as always.

Lyndylu

Merriweather

My version of this handsome chappie :lol:

Doug, with this one, I worked on the premise that if the value is right, the colour can be any colour…. something I looked at on youtube, so this is done on hot press with a variety of pigments ( using up the left overs)
                                        on Fabriano hp paper

A4 size roughly

I will likely do another in a different style.
                                        Last weekend I went to watch a wc portrait demo, and the artist threw a blob of sienna on a sheet of paper. After she let the paper dry naturally, ( about an hour or more) she drew out a very similar chappie with charcoal, and apparently if you wet the charcoal you get your tones, and then she added a bit more wc paint where she deemed was lacking, so I hope you don’t mind, but I might give that a go. Of course, it may not work.

If I have time, I’ll do another the proper way.. as in the way I know how to.

cheers
                                        Merri

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Bravo Merri, a confident approach to the challenge.

Doug

Merri, I like your version of this man, nicely done.

LIL

Merriweather

Thanks Doug and Lil, today I tried the ‘other method’ as shown on the weekend in the wc demo.

It did not look good. The whiskers and beard works, but to draw it all in charcoal, ….. let me surmise with,

a waste of good charcoal pencil, black and white, and wasted a tortillion.

and apart from all of that, it doesn’t have the nice clean wc look about it.

The handsome chappie looks like he is frightened too, so best throw it out. !!!

Nevermind, cant say I didn’t try. :eek:

Cheers, Will do another later in the month.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.