Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching The Fifth – Portrait for my friend

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

This is portrait done for my friend, Andrushyna. I hope the two rabbits don’t steal her cuteness too much though. :)
        Graphite and Vine Charcoal, Canson Watercolor paper A3

How do you deal with charcoal dust? That stuff makes me insane.

What inspired your background and interplay between it and your figures?

Let's upset the apple cart, shall we?

Anonymous

Charcoal dust? You mean how easily charcoal smudge? I use fixative in the end so that it won’t smudge. And this is combination of vine charcoal and graphite. For the background, I use vine charcoal at first so that it’s easily erased if I make mistake. Once I’m happy with the shape of my background mark, I begin “enhancing” it with my dark charcoal pencil from derwent or 8B graphite from staedler. Both of them aren’t as dusty or get smudge easily, and more permanent.

I used to draw tight portrait from corner-corner top-bottom even for the background, but I get bored quickly and I just feel I’m only copying someone’s photograph. There is no creativity in my art and there is no “me” in it. Then roughly 1 month ago I started to extensively experiment a lot with abstract background. Didn’t work out so well. First portrait felt awkward and took me about 4 times drawing the same portrait over and over again until it feels right. I’m still learning and still searching. This is my fifth drawing using this look. Basically combining smooth photo-realism which I always prefer anyway (plus costumer and friends love them) and abstract shape background.

Prismatoid

It’s interesting, it has almost a collage effect. With the strong black swirl lines that continue her hair+outline then crossing over the scratchy texture in bottom left… it’s musical score! Does anyone else see that or is it just me? :D

Anonymous

It’s interesting, it has almost a collage effect. With the strong black swirl lines that continue her hair+outline then crossing over the scratchy texture in bottom left… it’s musical score! Does anyone else see that or is it just me? :D

Bro, thank you for your appreciation. I really appreciate this. But to be honest my abstarct background in this portrait feels a little bit too much and heavy for my taste. I’m currently drawing my next portrait which has lighter background (hopefully)..

Beautiful combination! Well done.

Christel

Anonymous

Thank you Christel.. ☺

janinco

I love the background.. gives the impression of a comfortable quilt to me.

Jan

Anonymous

Thank you Jan Tomorrow I’m going to upload my newest drawing. I want to sort of compare the background between the two and see which one people prefer. This drawing feels “too heavy” for me personally.

isuki

Love this one too! Your new approach is awesome.

Anonymous

Isuki Thank you for the appreciation. I started using this look since 4 months ago. Check out my youtube channel if you’re interested in watching the timelapse.. :)

Anne58

Wow! You’ve done an awesome job on that portrait, looks photo quality. The bunnies are cute too :)

Anne

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.