Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Talk Helpful book

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MaryFlora

Good afternoon!

The past couple of weeks we have enjoyed lots of family, with nary a single minute to crash until bedtime!

Picked up a book, however, that was very soothing in the 5 minutes before I passed out: wink2:

Believe it was recommended by someone in the op forum and picked up a copy from a used book store. Thank you! I’m sorry not to remember your name.

The book is titled, “Painting with Pastels” by Nancy Kominsky. The title is a bit open as to type of pastel but it is all oil pastels.

She has a variety of 11 lessons ( no people/animals), each broken into sections, with the op colors used for that section and how she layered in each section.

Mrs. K uses sandpaper but that doesn’t seem to be necessary.

It is an older book, published in 1986 and has 63 pages.

Again many thanks to the original poster!

Mary Flora

Thanks for the feedback, Mary!

Christel

terriks

This sounds interesting, and very helpful, Mary. I’ve not heard of Nancy Kominsky, so it wasn’t a recommendation from me. I like the idea that there are lots of individual lessons in there. Very helpful for artists who are new to OP’s, because they are such a unique medium.

I wouldn’t imagine that her paper choice affects much, I agree. You’re better served with a toothy paper when starting out, just to make certain layering is easier than trying something new with a too-smooth surface.

Thanks for mentioning this. Hope you get some good tips from it! :)

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Thanks for the tip on the book! It’s hard finding many OP resources :)

"Nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small it takes time - we haven't time - and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time." -Georgia O'Keeffe
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.