Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting How long do you spend on average on a painting?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    ianuk

The best painting I consider I have done I spent about a month on. That was inclusive or drying time. How long do you usually take to complete a painting?

snoball

I usually spend a week to two weeks, including drying time.
            On most paintings I do 3-4 sessions of 2-3 hours each.

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
            My work on Facebook

Schappell

Since I only have time to paint on weekends, it usually takes about a month for me. Typically I sink anywhere from 15-20 hours into a painting over that period.

“Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
                ― Lao Tzu
                http://sarahchappell.daportfolio.com/

OK

Ideally I start and finish in one go, sometimes that’s as little as one hour, for those quick ones I spend as much time planing as painting. Sometimes the process will stretch out to all day or even two days when things go wrong and I have to do a lot of looking. My best paintings are usually done between two and four hours, after that I just end up fiddling.

:wave: Dave

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                    — Allen Ginsberg
                    Are you ready for a Journey?
                    PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

AllisonR

interesting, wonder why I never thought of this before? Anyway, my older, acrylics – on average of 40 to 50 hours, the least being 13 hours, the most being 74 hours. My newer oils – are all over the place, anything from 11 to 108 hours – depending on size and subject matter – still lifes take me much less time than figures or portraits.

I guess I don’t think about it because they take the time they take. A new subject or technique will take me much less time than something that has become more comfortable. A face takes me maybe five times as long as an apple. I am also more interested in documenting the process – if I used XYZ medium and it dried up too fast, for example. Or what I want to do – notes like REMEMBER TO THINK ABOUT TEMPERATURE!

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                        Ron Francis

Generally around 6 weeks.

Ron
                            www.RonaldFrancis.com

Lately about 2 or 3 hrs.
                            I used to spend about 8 to 10 on portraits, and 2 or 3 days on figurative abstractions.

J Miller

I’ve never bothered counting the hours, and I think counting hours might take the fun away for me. It seems to take one to two months to finish anything but quick sketches. I do work around 50 – 70 hours a week at my job though, so that’s probably not that many hours of painting. I’ve just started back in oil and I’ve been working on my current one for about two months because it takes forever to dry and I’ve really been enjoying layering and glazing. I probably have another couple weeks to go on this one.

Jim

If I had to think about the hours it took to finish a painting, it would be too much like “work” to me.

I enjoy the “doing” for however long as it takes.

When life hands you lemons, add some tequila, a sprinkle of salt and call me!
                                Bradicus

For a 24 x 24, it will take me (very roughly approximated) 24hours of accual mixing/painting. If it is people/portrait. Double that.

I paint weekends and a few nights so I couldnt say how many days.
                                    Schedule is not regular enough. But rarely over 16 hours in one week.

I am not a quick painter. I work hard for a couple hours and then scrutinize for a while. Time passes very fast when I paint. I am always surprised I am losing the sunlight.

Cheers,
                                    Brad

ianuk

Generally around 6 weeks.

Thanks, this was the amount I was thinking a good painting would take for me, given drying time and patience of getting things correct.

ianuk

Thanks everyone for your replies.

slasher

really anything from 2h (sketches) to 300h

Alan P. in OC

Short answer, as Dana said, as long as it takes.
                                                    Long answer, maybe 20 hrs. a week for 6-12 months on a 12″x16″ or 16″x20″ painting, which would be approx. 500-1000 hours.

Needless to say, I’m always trying to refine my procedures to get stuff done quicker:).

NancyMP

The only ones I ever time are the one-a-days, which take maybe an hour or two; sometimes if there’s a bit of detail, up to six hours. Those are all small, though.

Because I enjoy the painting process so much, I don’t pay attention to how long I spend on larger paintings – I estimated about two months on one of them, a still-life, because I waited until the end to go buy some flowers to put in it. But in that time, I didn’t paint every day, so it likely wouldn’t have taken two months had I felt compelled to work every day. And I usually only spend two or three hours on any one day with a painting.

Those below, on my strip of images, were small paintings, so I would guess no more than two hours on any of them.

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
                                                        All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘How long do you spend on average on a painting?’ is closed to new replies.