Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone What drawing pen and ink in your watercolor kit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    star fisher

Several photos of watercolor kits posted here have fountain pens in them. Are you using (water soluable) fountain pen ink with your watercolor and ink drawings?
        I have fountain pens for writing but have not used them for watercolor and pen drawings because the ink smears when wet. I want to try using a fountain pen for a watercolor and ink drawing but do not want to ruin a pen using ink with shellac in it, like the dip pen inks.
        The Lamy Safari pen seems popular in this group. Why that one?

SilentW

I’m new to WetCanvas and watercolor, but this is what I know.
            The Lamy Safari fountain pen is so popular because it’s sturdy, quite affordable and the nib is perfect for drawing.
            There’re waterproof inks, which can be used with fountain pens for example De Atramentis Document ink, Platinum Carbon ink, some Iron Gall inks (made for FP), Sailor Nano inks aso.
            You can also use water soluable inks to your advantage like for pen and ink, wetting parts of the ink for shading. There’re great artists (like Liz Steel or Jane Blundell), who use this technique.
            I hope some more experienced artists will jump in.

Silas (Who loves and still writes/draws with fountain pens)
            PS If you have further (in depth) questions regarding fps and inks, just ask.

I either use a Lamy Safary fountain pen with Noodler’s Bulletproof ink, or any number of waterproof pigmented, fadeproof fibre tip pens by Pitt, Uniball, Staedler etc.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

VanAndrew

I use a mix of both waterproof (De Atramentis Document Brown or Black) and water-soluble inks in my pens. The water-soluble inks are fun but are only really for sketchbook use – most dye-based inks for fountain pens are not lightfast at all and will fade even more rapidly than fugitive watercolor pigments! Still, some of them are very attractive for drawing – I like Lie de The by J. Herbin and Ancient Copper by Diamine. They are both water-soluble to different degrees. The De Atramentis Document inks however are very waterproof and lightfast – given a minute to dry they won’t move under watercolor at all.

With regards to pens, I also have a couple of Lamy Safaris – I find them reliable, tough, and smooth to use and the ability to easily swab nibs is handy. I also have a pair of Pilot Metropolitans – these are less expensive and also seemingly quite reliable though I haven’t had them as long. My one fancy fountain pen is a Platinum 3776 with a flexible nib that allows for nice line variation similar to (but not as extreme as) a dip pen. Overall I like to use fountain pens rather than something like a Pigma Micron just because I can use less pressure and still get a strong line on paper – being able to choose any ink I like is also a huge plus.

SilentW mentioned some artists who use water-soluble inks to their advantage – I’d add Marc Taro Holmes to this list.
                https://citizensketcher.com/2014/06/09/washable-ink-at-the-botanical-garden/

Here’s one of my own attempts at using water-soluble ink. It uses Diamine Ancient Copper in a contour drawing where I melted the ink with a wet brush and some ultramarine blue watercolor.

Vorpal

I love the Platinum Carbon pens. they are lightweight and have wonderful, smooth nibs. I use the permanent Platinum Carbon Black and Pigment Brown, both diluted about 50/50.

Susan

virgil carter

None. I prefer watercolor as the primary and only medium when I paint.

Sling paint,
                        Virgil

Sling paint,
                        Virgil Carter
                        http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

SilentW

I love the Platinum Carbon pens. they are lightweight and have wonderful, smooth nibs. I use the permanent Platinum Carbon Black and Pigment Brown, both diluted about 50/50.

Is it still waterproof after this dilution?

Silas

indraneel

I use a fountain pen with watersoluble ink when I have just enough time to go over the sketch with a water brush (to mark the values quickly). This would usually be while standing in the street chased by stray dogs, or on a train, or bus…

I have some Platinum Carbon Black and it’s fine, but my favourites are DeArtmentis Document Inks. They are made to be mixed, so you can customize colours. They rate a blue wool of 8, and my own lightfast tests seem to back that up. They are completely waterproof, when dry. I use them in my Noodler’s Ahab and my Sailor Fude.

:) Noelle

Cyntada

Big fan of Platinum Carbon ink here, and the Platinum EF fountain pen. It has a nib almost as sharp as a crow quill, minus the dipping, and I love me some needle-sharp pens! That model is made for use with the carbon ink, so it works well without clogging. At about $13 USD, it’s affordable too.

The EF pen is a desk pen, so it’s really long and the cap doesn’t post. I shortened the barrel with a Dremel tool and now the cap posts. :) The super-short barrel suits me very well – I like smaller pens and it fits well in my kit. Not a mod that would work for everyone, but it does for me.

Also have a Kuretake #40 brush pen in my kit, which is obviously not a fountain pen. I included it since it works in a similar way. It takes the same converter as the EF pen, and also works well with carbon ink.

These are my first decent fountain pens, other than some inexpensive Shaeffer models, so that’s the extent of my experience so far. I’d like to try the Noodler inks and a Lamy Safari in the future.

One thing I found about Carbon ink, it generally dries instantly (and waterproof-ly) but not always! If you really pour it on (especially if a pen burps or the brush pen slops) there will be a layer of carbon that doesn’t soak in, and that can smear later on. In normal use, this won’t happen. The other instance is if it just doesn’t get dry before you wet the line. I was sketching outdoors on a damp, foggy morning, and ended up ink-washing the stuff because it just refused to dry. Lovely effect really, though my paper must have been pretty soaked from fog/dew to have that happen with Carbon ink!

CK =)
                                    I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
                                    DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada

Noodler’ ink is highly dependent on the paper type, sometimes it has delayed drying as you explain above. I think it needs a soft paper to be useful for pen and wash.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

LatteForZoey

I love ink and wash for out-and-about sketching. I use a TWSBI Eco ($30 for a fairly indestructible piston-filled fountain pen) with Noodler’s ink in polar black, which is waterproof. The ink is interesting in that it was designed to be used in freezing temperatures while keeping the ink liquid (which typically isn’t an issue in the southeast US), but I’ve read that it’s also good for keeping a piston fountain pen functioning well. I liked Pilot Metropolitans when I first started out, but found that they tend to have problems with leaky nibs. Considered a Lamy Safari, as well, but I haven’t tried one out yet.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]-Zoey
                                        Vorpal

Is it still waterproof after this dilution?

Silas

Yes. And I have diluted DeAtramentis inks 12:1 and they are still waterproof.

Susan

Lawrence Fox

Just remember–don’t put shellac-based drawing inks into a fountain pen! Stick with the FP inks. (or you’ve lost your FP).

Lawrence Fox Thornhill, ON
                                                “Try not. Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'” -- Yoda

“ I have never failed; I have, however, found ten thousand ways that don’t work”. :lol: -- Unknown
                                                See my LinkedIn profile or follow me on Twitter: @TheWizardGuy

SilentW

Big fan of Platinum Carbon ink here, and the Platinum EF fountain pen. It has a nib almost as sharp as a crow quill, minus the dipping, and I love me some needle-sharp pens! That model is made for use with the carbon ink, so it works well without clogging. At about $13 USD, it’s affordable too.

The EF pen is a desk pen, so it’s really long and the cap doesn’t post. I shortened the barrel with a Dremel tool and now the cap posts. :) The super-short barrel suits me very well – I like smaller pens and it fits well in my kit. Not a mod that would work for everyone, but it does for me.

These are my first decent fountain pens, other than some inexpensive Shaeffer models, so that’s the extent of my experience so far. I’d like to try the Noodler inks and a Lamy Safari in the future.

Hi Cyntada
                                                    Have a look at this KaWeCo https://www.kaweco-pen.com/en/pens/fountain-pens/218/kaweco-liliput-fountain-pen-fireblue fountain pen. It’s the smallest one in the world. It measures about 4” closed, 5” w/ posted cap and about 3.5” without the cap. :angel:
                                                    A lot of sketchers carry the Liliput (or the classic sport version) in their trouser pocket when out for PA. I love my KaWeCo classic sport for sketching, but prefer others for longer writing sessions.

Silas

@Vorpal – Thank you. I haven’t tried diluting them in this high ratio. Is the color still deep black, or more greyish?

Silas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.