Home Forums Explore Media Digital Art The Digital Library Reviews_Graphics tablets

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Chiers

This thread is for reviews of graphics tablets. So often new digital art members ask about tablets and what kind to buy. Since the most valuable advice comes from those who use a product tell us what kind of tablet you use? Why do you like, or not like it? Would you recommend it?
        Please limit comments to pertinent information.

Sherry
        SmArtsyJewelry SLMGallery

[FONT="Georgia"]Sony Nex6, Nikon P610, Sony WX300, SEL55/210, SEL3.5/30 Macro, SEL16/50, 1.8/50

Chiers

Wacom Comparisons

Sherry

[FONT="Georgia"]Sony Nex6, Nikon P610, Sony WX300, SEL55/210, SEL3.5/30 Macro, SEL16/50, 1.8/50

jhercilia

I currently own a Graphire3 4×5, an Intuous2 6×8, an Intuous3 9×12, and the Cintiq 21UX.
                Why? Well, I started using the Intuous2. I was very pleased with it. But then, Wacom introduced its Intuous3, which I bought because of its higher levels of pressure sensitivity (1,024 compared to 512 of the Intuous2), and higher lines per inch resolution: 5,080, and also because I wanted a bigger tablet to fit my style. I find bigger tablets more confortable for me. Then, I bought the Graphire3 for my laptop. I am not impressed with this one. I find its response is slow and sometimes I have to click several times to execute what I want. It doesn’t matter how I tweak the settings, it still behaves the same. Maybe I got a defective tablet. Who knows. I found it too small for me. Luckily, the new Graphire4 has many improvements worth the try. The only thing with the Graphire4 is its lower levels of pressure sensitivity compared with the Intuous3.

Last, I bought the Cintiq 21UX, which is the best of both worlds but at a much higher price since it’s also a monitor. I use this Cintiq as well as the Intuous3 on the same computer since I am running 2 monitors. And yes, I’m still using my old Intuous2 on a second computer.

But for my paintings, I prefer the highest levels of pressure sensitivity I can get in a tablet. It does make a difference. I have heard of people saying that it doesn’t matter but that really depends on the type of work you do. For me, it does matter. I can tell the difference between the two since I work also with very detailed work as well as more loose work.

Below, are some helpful links regarding Wacom tablets/interactive pen display/tablet pc:

http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/index.cfm – Wacom products review
                http://www.videobytes.com.au/products/index.asp – additional info

Enjoy :p

www.janetgarcia.com www.janetartworks.com
                / C&C always welcome and appreciated. [/I]

StephenEC

Hello Sherry,

I’m,new here,and I found this wonderful place through a link from another site.
                    I have a Intuos3 9×12, I am fairly new to the computer art community,and the main reason I purchased the tablet was for doing editing of photos
                    that I take with my D70.
                    I ended up buying the 9×12 because , it’s big enough to set in my lap, and with the mapping functions I have used,I can either use small finger movements to cover the screens (two monitors ) with ease , or I can use larger wrist and forearm movements…I really like the sensitivity of this tablet,
                    I have since started to try my hand at creating digital art from my mind.
                    I recoomend a tablet for it’s ease of use , it speeds up my time doing
                    the editing and finishing of photos . . . as for size… that’s a total personal
                    choice.

Stephen

Smokin

The common considerations when getting a tablet are usually performance, cost, and size.

There has always been the question of what brand to get and whats the difference in quality between these brands. Based on my researchh on this there is a complete agreement that Wacom tablets are the way to go. They have a great design and are considered the formost experts on building tablets. Thats not to say another brand wont be good or worth it, just that if you buy a wacom, you can be confident that you wont find anything better or more advanced (not including various model designs that wacom makes). I have no personal experience with other brand tablets except for at the tech store and a few reviews I’ve read. The feel of some brands felt awkward in some instances and an overal, not as good of a feel as Wacom tablets and pens. Reviews arnt bad for various brands, but the reviews I’ve read usually aknowlage that Wacoms are still the better brand, but if cost is a factor and wacoms are too expensive, then there are still solid options available.

The cost of tablets range from 50-3000 depending on what you get. Wacoms sport I believe 3 diffent models, (cheap, moderate, expensive, Janet has a wonderful indepth explanation on the differences of each model), graphire,Inuous, and Cintiuq. I only have personal experience with the intuous Model, wich are priced from 200-500 depending on size. I love my tablet andcant say anything bad about its design or performance. My research on graphires (a consideration I had) was that the difference in performance, or sensativity) while noticable, was not too different. IMO, if one is looking to digitally paint, an Intuous is the way to go. If one is looking to do more web graphic, vector art and simple photo manipulations, then the graphire is prob more than capable enough to meet your needs at a cheaper cost. If one can afford the cintiw , a SWEET looking toy, then post more about what you think about it, cause Im dreaming of getting one :P

The size of tablet to use is all about preference and how one likes to draw IMO. The cost of a tablet sometimes decides the size of the tablet for us, but for thoose who still cant decide i suggest really asking yourself how you like to draw. IMO, one who likes to draw from the elbow will like the larger sized tablet and might become frustrated at the smaller sized tablets available. Those who like to draw from the wrist, who might not have enough desktop space (I slap my 9×12 on lap though) might get a lil annoyed at the larger sized tablets.

Additional considerations for those buying a new tablet. Wacom, while more expensive, also include a software bundle perfect for thos new to digital art. They also have a solid warrentee and good costumer service (I once freaked cause it didnt work, and got an email the next day explaining what i needed to do to fix the issue i had, took me all but 2 mins to get my tablet back in perfect working condition).

My 2 cents.

C&C always welcomed. Frank
                        www.MyDigitalWorkshop.com

Jin

Here’s some information that may help anyone deciding which tablet to buy (I’ll add my own review below this info):

On the Wacom site we can run through some questions to find the best choice of model and size. In addition to reading this thread and threads in other forums to learn from users what their personal experience has been with various tablet brands and Wacom’s fine tablets, it can be a help in making the best decision.

Wacom’s Tablet Wizard

For anyone on a budget, Wacom also sells refurbished tablets. As I type this post Wacom says these tablets are top quality used tablets that have been reconditioned, cleaned, inspected, and repackaged. They come with a one year warranty and all of the bundled software that comes with their new and more expensive tablets.

Though there are sometimes refurbished tablets that use Serial connections, for newer computers it’s probably best to buy one with a USB connection.

To check the list of refurbs (it changes frequently so be sure to check back often):

WacomDirect – Refurbished Tablets

My own experience with Wacom tablets has been great. My first tablet, an ArtZ II purchased in the mid-’90s, is still working and I used it daily for 8 or 9 years.

To be more up to date with what other Painter artists were using since I teach and answer Painter questions daily, a couple of years ago I purchased an Intuos 2 – 9 x 12 inch tablet. After setting it up, I found that the entire tablet took up too much room on my desk to allow me to comfortably arrange both my keyboard and tablet so I could use both without having to move anything. I returned the 9 x 12 inch tablet in exchange for my Intuos 6 x 8 inch tablet and have been very happy with the choice.

For anyone new to Wacom tablets, the numbers mentioned in the above paragraph refer only to the working area of the tablet, 9 x 12 inches or 6 x 8 inches. I don’t recall the entire footprint dimensions of the 9 x 12 inch tablet but to give you some idea of the size ratio, my whole Intuos 2 – 6 x 8 inch tablet actually takes up 13 x 10 inches of space on my desk.

Wacom’s tech support is not only free, the tech support folks are friendly and helpful. In my book, it’s the best company to deal with and they make the best products.

Jinny Brown
                            New Content at PixelAlley

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
                            Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb

Chiers

Good information here

Sherry

AndieW

Hi All.

I use the Wacom intuous 3 A5 size. I chose the tablet due to a good review in the new digital art mag ‘Imagine FX’ and I chose the size for two reasons: The first was I wanted to use it with a laptop PC and secondly I didn’t want to spend too much money as it is my first tablet and I didn’t want to have wasted too much cash if I didn’t get on with it !!

When it arrived I was a bit concerned that it might be a bit on the small side but I neednt have worried, I find I am always zooming in for detailed work anyway and have found no problems with the resolution. An added bonus is that it actually fits in the side pocket of my laptop case.

Overall I give this tablet a big thumbs up. I love using it and am now comletely hooked and no one can prise it out of my hands! It feels good to work with ( have yet to try different pen tips ) and the pressure sensitivity is very smooth. It installed and worked first time out of the box ( Windows XP ) and has a flexible driver allowing the programming of the function keys and sliders.

I cannot obviously comment on this pad compared to others as this is my first and it is still fairly new and I haven’t dropped it – yet – he said touching wood! – so I cannot comment on durability but it does seem to be very well made.

As a matter of interest the tablet came with a copy of Corel Painter Essentials ( the cut down version of the big daddy app ) I personally use Artrage 2 and I have also tried it in Paint Shop pro and The GIMP and found it works well in all of them. ( There used to be a problem with the Windows version of the GIMP and tablets but this appears to have been cured with the latest version )

Overall I would recommend it.

Andie

Since this older thread has been brought to the top, I’d like to share a surprisingly good experience I had with Wacom. I own an old Artz II tablet and my driver corrupted during a power outage that powered off my computer. The disk I had saved my driver on had gotten ruined so I downloaded the latest drivers for my os from the wacom website. Once installed it wouldn’t work with my serial to usb adapter. I tried everything even had a nice guy from Eygpt send me some older drivers he had. So on a long shot I emailed Wacom support, I figured there would be no way they would want to help me with my 10 year old tablet. To my surprise I received an email asking for more info. I provided and we emailed back and forth(somerime 2 or 3 emails in a day) for about 4 days of problem solving trying one thing or another til I got a driver to work for my tablet. I was pleasantly surprised, in this day in age it is hard to get manufacturers to support their products at all and Wacom came through for me. Thank You Wacom.

Btw my original Wacom is a 12 x 12, I like it but recently i got a 6 x 8 Artz II off of ebay and like it too, I think the perfect size for me might be somewhere inbetween, maybe the 9 x 12.

fugitive

Here’s some information that may help anyone deciding which tablet to buy (I’ll add my own review below this info):

On the Wacom site we can run through some questions to find the best choice of model and size. In addition to reading this thread and threads in other forums to learn from users what their personal experience has been with various tablet brands and Wacom’s fine tablets, it can be a help in making the best decision.

[url=http://www.wacom.com/tabletwizard/index.cfm]Wacom’s Tablet Wizard[/url]

For anyone on a budget, Wacom also sells refurbished tablets. As I type this post Wacom says these tablets are top quality used tablets that have been reconditioned, cleaned, inspected, and repackaged. They come with a one year warranty and all of the bundled software that comes with their new and more expensive tablets.

Though there are sometimes refurbished tablets that use Serial connections, for newer computers it’s probably best to buy one with a USB connection.

To check the list of refurbs (it changes frequently so be sure to check back often):

[url=http://wacomdirect.wacom.com/wacomdirect/reftablet.asp?]WacomDirect – Refurbished Tablets[/url]

My own experience with Wacom tablets has been great. My first tablet, an ArtZ II purchased in the mid-’90s, is still working and I used it daily for 8 or 9 years.

To be more up to date with what other Painter artists were using since I teach and answer Painter questions daily, a couple of years ago I purchased an Intuos 2 – 9 x 12 inch tablet. After setting it up, I found that the entire tablet took up too much room on my desk to allow me to comfortably arrange both my keyboard and tablet so I could use both without having to move anything. I returned the 9 x 12 inch tablet in exchange for my Intuos 6 x 8 inch tablet and have been very happy with the choice.

For anyone new to Wacom tablets, the numbers mentioned in the above paragraph refer only to the working area of the tablet, 9 x 12 inches or 6 x 8 inches. I don’t recall the entire footprint dimensions of the 9 x 12 inch tablet but to give you some idea of the size ratio, my whole Intuos 2 – 6 x 8 inch tablet actually takes up 13 x 10 inches of space on my desk.

Wacom’s tech support is not only free, the tech support folks are friendly and helpful. In my book, it’s the best company to deal with and they make the best products.

Just read this for 1st time. I am using a used Artz II I bought on ebay, like new, and I love it. Frankly, I don’t see any diff between mine at 512 I think, and the Graphire I had at 1000. I just don’t think the hand needs a lot of infinit, touches. I like the tilt, Thats why I got it, but doesn’t seem to do much compared to a real brush, but I use the soft and medium touchstrip thingys. New proggie called Twisted Brush. I actually get to converse with the owner about changes to his baby, as it’s pretty new, but reeally has some WOW brushes, 1500 of them. Well, that’s all so long. greg

[email protected]

Gallery
                                        http://gregsplace.50megs.com
                                        http://www.picturetrail.com/fugitive1

"Only the Mediocre will always meet expectations"

Elvira

I got my new Intous 3 about a month ago. I chose the 6 X 11 format because I use two monitors and want the the image ratio to be constant as I found with my old small one it was difficult to maintain when I remaped to the two monitors, I had to leave part of it out which meant switching between pen and mouse.

I realy like the new tablet, it came with three pen nibs, the standard (has a spare), the stroke nib (has a little spring in it), and the felt tip, I haven’t used the felt tip but love the stoke tip it has nice soft feel to it.

The footprint of my tablet is about the same as a keyboard with a wrist rest.

I really like my new tablet!!!!:)

Edie

We have one life, live it well.

jimbobwu

I recently bought an ArtZ II tablet off eBay and I was very happy with it (especially since it was a birthday present and my parents were paying for it) but then my mother advised me to return it for a newer model instead since if there was anything wrong with it, customer support would probably be able to help with it more efficiently than with an 8-year old tablet. I was very impressed with the ArtZ II 12×12 however. I’m hoping the Intuos will have as many features.

writerhoward

I use a Wacom Graphire 3 (6×8) and am quite happy with it.

Howard

LilSerenity

I presently own a Wacom Intuos 3 4×5 (A6), because at the time that was all I could afford. I do plan on getting a larger tablet in time but for now the A6 suffices very well if I keep it mapped to just one of my 2001FP (20″ 1600×1200 LCD) screens.

Hopefully in the next year or two I will go for the Intuos 3 6×8 as I don’t need anything larger with the displays I have.

I wouldn’t use anything other than the Intuos though, super sensitive and accurate tablet, it’s an art tool rather than a computer peripheral in my book.

Vicky

Lynnzieartsy

I also own a Wacom Intuos 3 4×5 (A6), and I love it. I don’t find the size at all too small. I zoom into areas to work and it does great detail and sensativity.

Lynnzie :angel:
                                                          Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.