WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
McKinney, TX

Hails from United States
Re: A Mountain Stream by Guanella Pass: WIP

Suzy,
Thank you for your kind words! I am still working on my patience...I think this is one of those must-have things all artists should have in their tool box but takes a lifetime to cultivate! LOL!

Tess,
LOL! Thank you for your encouragement, I really appreciate it!

Peggy,
Thank you very much! I hope to make this my best work, so it is very encouraging to hear that!

-----------

Here is another update:

I have been working on the branches...I've gotten to a point where I am not sure if I am drawing branches or messy noodles, LOL! Well, nature can appear messy, but within that apparent chaos, there is an order and beauty...and that is what I am trying to capture. I am doing my best to capture everything as-is, and not to "clean up" the lines too much.

Below is the overall photo and the close-up. The overall photo looks like there is a big crease on the top corners of the paper ...but it is just a shadow. It made me worry when I first saw it on the computer, LOL!

Thank you again for your time taking a look. All C&C welcome!
Attached Images

#152   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Seattle area

Hails from United States

Oh, Noriko, you have done a WONDERFUL job on those branches. Such beautiful chaos!
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2014, 12:30 PM
RI

Hails from United States

I'm just floored at the beauty of this masterpiece. You are a natural! Do not minimize your work based on the amount of time you have been working with CP's, because you clearly understand the nature of this medium. I'll add my vote to the others who have said you should take what you have written in this thread and create a .PDF tutorial. This is by far, one of the best step-by-step's I have seen to date. What a beautiful gift you have and you have given! I'm going back to the beginning of this thread again to drink from its refreshing waters :-D
  #154   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2014, 01:19 PM
A Local Legend
The Free State, Maryland, East Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigirl
I'm just floored at the beauty of this masterpiece. You are a natural! Do not minimize your work based on the amount of time you have been working with CP's because you clearly understand the nature of this medium. I'm going back to the beginning of this thread again to drink from its refreshing waters :-D

Wow, Karen, you said that so eloquently!!!

Ditto... what she said!!!!
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2014, 01:21 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemfire
Oh, Noriko, you have done a WONDERFUL job on those branches. Such beautiful chaos!

I have definately also noticed that as the trees grow taller, the coolness-factor escalates along with them...
  #156   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

This is stunning. Everything detail is amazing. You captured the feel of rushing water perfectly.
  #157   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2014, 04:07 PM

have been away for a short while. went to view an update of this.... BUT OMG .. this is probably one of the most amazing artworks i have had the pleasure of laying my eyes on with this medium. I just stare at it in amazement. and , i agree , the way you have shared it with us all has been such a joy in itself.
Thanks again
  #158   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
McKinney, TX

Hails from United States

Gemfire,

Thank you again for taking a look and leaving a very nice comment. It's funny, my husband first thought I should crop out the blue spruce because it looks "messy". I said to him no, I want to keep them because that's the beauty of the nature...completely untouched and thriving in the midst of all the harsh natural elements. I'm glad I decided to keep them because I think it adds so much character!

Karen James,

Wow...I had to read your comment at least three times. Thank you for such a beautiful comment. I am very humbled by it! And yes, seriously looking into creating more "official" tutorial for this piece. Thank you for your endorsement!

Karen ESP,

Thank you for your comment and your ongoing support! Once again, I cannot thank you enough for opening so many doors for me, including recommending this website to me! There is more trees to come and once the treeline of the mountain is defined in the background, this will truly come together in a way I imagined...

Kristen,

Thank you very much for your comment! This was my first time drawing the fast moving water and I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing until much later, LOL!

Unkygum,

Thank you, soooo much for saying that. Wow...I just put it together in a way I understand and learn. I am very, very happy and honored to hear that you feel that way. That alone makes it worth doing this piece.
  #159   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast
Columbus, Ohio

Hails from United States

I would never have the patience to do this let alone the ability to see and draw such detail. This is one your viewers will be able to stare and stare and stare at. A very good thing to be able to do as an artist because we don't want our viewer to just look and walk away, do we?

I get a kick out of coming back to this and watching your little "squares" crawl up the paper. You're getting closer to the top!

Have you kept track of the time you've spent on this?
  #160   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
McKinney, TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulalee
I would never have the patience to do this let alone the ability to see and draw such detail. This is one your viewers will be able to stare and stare and stare at. A very good thing to be able to do as an artist because we don't want our viewer to just look and walk away, do we?

I get a kick out of coming back to this and watching your little "squares" crawl up the paper. You're getting closer to the top!

Have you kept track of the time you've spent on this?

Thank you Paula!

Our kids say that the way this piece is coming together reminds them of computer rendering a complicated CG art, LOL. And yes, I am trying to get the left side done so that I can move onto other trees in the background.

As for the time spent on this project...I learned not to keep track of it. Time is so relative, and so is my productivity! I know I probably should, and that would also help me with the pricing of the artwork later if I decide to sell the original. I just know that I started this in mid-May, so it has been 2 1/2 months working on this project so far. I have the luxury of not having any specific deadline on this, so I plan to spend whatever it takes to get this done to my satisfaction!
  #161   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Texas

Hails from United States

This is so intricate and crisp, and looking at the whole picture is absolutely breathtaking!
Suzanne
  #162   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
McKinney, TX

Hails from United States

Thank you so much Suzanne!

Here is another tutorial on drawing complicated maze of branches. Notice that my basic steps are the same: I outlined the basic branch shapes and worked on the major shaded area, and I used the same range of colors as my previous post on the blue spruce branches and tree bark. In this tutorial, I want to focus on how I break up the area and how I compartmentalize it into smaller area to make it more manageable.

1) Sepia - I am outlining some of the major branches I see in the ref. photo. I don't crowd the paper with the outline too much because it gets too confusing later.

2) Black - I find it easiest when I define the darkest area first, in this case the area just to the left of the tree trunk. Since there are some needles and branches behind it is not completely black. With a sharp black CP, I outline the branches and the trunk and give a light shading around it.

3) Marine Green, Dark Green, Celadon Green, & Prussian Green - I further broke up the area into two and focused on the lower section where there is some green shown behind the branches.

4) Espresso - After giving some depth to the greens on the lower section, I filled in the area above and start creating some texture on the tree bark, and adding more small branches.

5) Kelp Green - I burnished the area with kelp green to give a smoother transition from brown to green.

6) Greyed Lavender, Black Grape and Peach Beige - These are my go-to colors for the blue spruce. Again, note that I only worked on the small section, not the entire trunk.

7) 90% Cool Grey, Sepia and Black Grape - Creating shadows, texture and re-defining the tree branches.

8) Black Grape and Espresso - I almost always give a very light wash of these two colors on the small branches to create more 3D look. This is also where I define the position of the branches. i.e., Lighter color branches in the foreground, darker in the background.

9) Black - Re-define and outline the branches with a very sharp black CP for a crisp look.

Thank you for dropping by and taking a look! Any question, C&C welcome!
Attached Images

#163   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2014, 12:10 AM
transplanted from Louisiana to Mississippi

Hails from United States

man, I want your patience!! thanks so much for the lessons, makes me want to keep going (I just started using CP)
https://sites.google.com/site/paintingsbytammy/
  #164   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
McKinney, TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyr67
man, I want your patience!! thanks so much for the lessons, makes me want to keep going (I just started using CP)

Thank you Tammy!

Yes, this piece tests my patience on every level, LOL! Sometimes I wish I can be just done with it, but when I think of all the regrets I would have, that is enough to get me going. Also, it really helps to post my WIP here, everyone's welcoming support and encouragement has been instrumental in keeping myself motivated!
  #165   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2014, 01:19 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks for sharing your up close examples of the details in your drawing. You have such a giving spirit....