WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which brands of pastel paper do you prefer? 3 preferences only please
Ampersand Pastelbord 51 14.78%
Art Spectrum Colourfix 124 35.94%
Canson Mi-Tientes 106 30.72%
Fabriano Tiziano 23 6.67%
Fisher400 18 5.22%
Pastelmat by Clairefontaine 107 31.01%
Royal Sovereign 4 1.16%
Murano 8 2.32%
Ingres 12 3.48%
Sennelier La Carte 77 22.32%
Uart 94 27.25%
Wallis 110 31.88%
Watercolour papers 21 6.09%
Suede Mat 14 4.06%
Velour Mat 33 9.57%
St Cuthberts Mill Somerset Pastel Paper" 2 0.58%
Other - state what in thread please! 17 4.93%
Schmincke Sansfix 10 2.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Immortalized
Dublin

Hails from Ireland
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Thanks Deirdre!

For me it's:
1 Pastelmat
2 La Carte
3 Ampersand.

I haven't tried many of the others. I'd love to try Wallis.

Has to be said though - Pastelmat saved me from throwing in the towel completely - I love it.

Must keep an eye on SAA for the Uart too (thanks Ruthie).

"Every production of an artist should be the expression of an adventure of his soul". W. Somerset Maugham.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Highland, California

Hails from United States

Uart, Art Spectrum and "other" (Richeson Gatorboard).

Barry Keller - Pastel Society of the West Coast - United Society of Pastel Artists
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Darlington

Hails from United Kingdom

Only last week did i receive my new sanded papers/cards, I am trying some Fisher 400, Pastelmat and some colourfix. I have already used the Royal Sovereign/ Lacarte and this is still my favourite!

So far! I am impressed with the Colourfix and the Fisher,, The Pastelmat failed to impress, i found it difficult to suggest texture since the surface is so uniform and smooth. Colours also tend to look rather muted on this card and blending is very difficult.
Half way through a portrait which was being undertaken on Pastelmat i decided that i didn't like the overall effect so i reached for my tub of Colourfix clear pastel ground and started brushing it onto the surface, this was already covered with pastels, WOW! Some of the dust formed into globules further enhancing the texture in the background and over the facial areas i ensured the i brushed it out quite evenly so that i would be able to maintain a smooth transition between tones. After drying i further added strokes to the background, the stick only deposited the pastel dust towards the peaks which added to the texture. If for no other reason, I could use this card again since it offers a quite a rigid support for the Colourfix primer!

Last edited by Phil Coleman : 02-17-2010 at 05:36 PM.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Winter Park, FL

Hails from United States

Hi! finally got internet again! Glad to be back! I chose Canson 'cause that's the only kind I knew to use so this poll is a great learning tool for me! Do any pastel papers come in a 30"x40" sheet size? If so, which art stores could I buy it? I need a rather large sheet for a project I want to begin. Thanks!!
Phyllis
Woman, Creative, Intuitive, Mystical, Magical - I am the Ark of the Spirit, I am a Person of Color, I am an Artist! "Paint what is in your heart. It's never too late to be what you should have always been".
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

I am new to pastels and have only used two of the choices mentioned and prefered one over the other which didn't work for what ever technique I use. I tend to layer on color so the toothy texture seems adaptable to my style, it also seems to work differently when I use a backwash and I prefer the texture when I do this.

What is cool about this thread for me is seeing what choices others are using and seeing the results of their work as well. So I will be experimenting with different papers in the future.
UArt - 400 grain

Last edited by mollerman : 02-18-2010 at 12:43 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2010, 11:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I voted Pastelmat, UART and Wallis (in alphabetical order), but I also like La Carte and Somerset black velvet for certain subjects, and I've always liked Schmincke Sansfix, which isn't listed--but I think I'm about the only one around here who does!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast
Middle of NC

Hails from United States

I noticed that Dakota discontinued Schmincke Sansfix.

Sara
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Durango, CO

Hails from United States

I voted for two - Canson MT and "Other", because of my limited experience with the listed choices.

I have just started using the Colourfix paper I bought a couple of months ago, and I really dislike the surface, so I didn't even vote for that . It doesn't work well for my techniques, but I see others do beautiful work with it.

My preferred paper, not listed, is Strathmore 400 series pastel paper. I like it better than Canson, which I don't particularly care for.

However, my absolute favorite surface(s) that I was used to working on and that the Colourfix just doesn't hold a candle to are the non-archival, easy-to-find and inexpensive sandpapers available at the hardware store. The best is 400-grit wet-dry sandpaper made in Canada, or GatorGrit made in Finland. Stuff is just awesome. Its only problems are the limited size (9x11) and that it's not acid-free.

I have Wallis, but only tried it once over a year ago. I had no experience working on sanded papers at that time, and I ended up stripping the painting. The tooth/texture seemed very good, but I don't have experience to comment on it.

I'm going to try both PastelMat and definitely UArt #400, based on how many people rave about it here . I'm quite sure I'll love the UArt since it is sandpaper, and I'm quite addicted to the surface .

art & photography blog
Facebook Studio Page
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

I maybe my favorite manufacturer i dont know paper name but mader for pastels and comppany is this:
LANA Papiers Spéciaux
ps. these three what i voted are these what i can get easily.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

Oops i must add hahnemühle ingress actually i dont be yet sure what i prefer. and my taste maybe change when i have more schimcke pastels.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2010, 12:55 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States

Tried my first pastelmat yesterday,,I am sold! It is magic!
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

I voted for Wallis, Uart & LaCarte. Haven't tried many others, but I don't feel a need to look any further with these three. Somewhat embarrassed to admit that part of the Wallis appeal to me is it's forgiving nature. I think when I get more confident about what I'm doing, I'll probably use more La Carte.

Charlie mentioned in another post that every pastel has something it excels at, and I suspect papers/boards are similar. What Pete produces on Canson makes me want to use that, but only if my stuff turns out looking like Pete's.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

Pastelmat, Uart and Wallis in no particular order. I've used quite a bit of Colorfix and do like it (I'd rate it 4th). However, I like the more forgiving nature and the ability to put on more layers of the three mentioned above. I've also used quite a bit of LaCarte. It's a good sheet but has too many limitations for the way I like to work. No wet underpaintings and doesn't hold as many layers.

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

My favorites are UArt, Pastelmat, and Colourfix. R-tistx is really good and may have been my third choice but wasn't on the list. I don't know for sure if you can still get the R-tistx since I haven't tried to order as of late. I also like my own boards which I try different things on. Aren't we lucky to have such great choices!

nana
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 AM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States

Hands down, I love Richeson paper, especially their foamboards, and next is Uart then pastelmat. I also love suede mat and my own surface made from clear acrylic gesso.
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)