WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Calligraphy Online Tutorials

Welcome back Manuela. It looks as though the Lettre Batarde has attracted you !

A good attempt for the first time. The letters n and i are not quite right. Try to make the Gothic arch shape with the entry and exit strokes and also at the top inside of the counter, Look at this illustration again.

Can you see the white shape at the top of the counter --- made by two curving strokes, the first sliding up and over, the second thicker and coming down to the right ? These Gothic arch sharp points are an important feature of this style of writing.

Let the first stroke of the n come just a little way below the baseline. Both of your letters e , the o and the second c are very good.

Make another attempt at these two words and try to make those arch shapes.

Best wishes
Geoff
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
merseyside

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Manuela , nice to see some-one else is joining us.

Geoff, I have just received my new nib and inks so will get down to re-doing my two words tomorrow morning.
Back soon......

~ Marie ~
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
merseyside

Hi Geoff....are these any better?

~ Marie ~
  #154   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Oh Yes, Marie ! Now you have caught the "flavour" of the style. Being a little bit critical --- I think the i and c are a little too close. But go to the next lesson.

I am looking forward to your next contribution.

Geoff
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

CALLIGRAPHY TUTORIAL
GOTHIC -- BÂTARDE

LESSON 2

Now is the time to meet letters with sloped strokes. Letters that have a sharp point at the base should creep just a little to below the baseline --- you remember why.

Letter v starts with a slide-up at 45 degrees and then is pulled well down to the right, making the slightest of curves as it gets to (and slightly through) the baseline, then makes a little slide-up at the end. Coming out of the first stroke, the second stroke slides up at 45 degrees and makes a “buffalo-horn” down to the little slide-up of the first stroke. The letter should appear to be just equally balanced on its point. Check within the groups of five.

The next letter w is first shown in the stages of its development --- then as the letter itself. Letter y is written at first as a v but is continued to finish from the second stroke with a hairline curling to the right, not reaching the descender guideline. An alternative descender is shown in the word crazy. Use the groups of 5 for both.

Letter x has two parts. The important thing here is that they must overlap perfectly and not show more than one pen-width thickness where the one is superimposed over the other. The slide-out at the end of the first stroke may continue to about halfway to the descender baseline, getting thinner as it “takes off”. The crossbar is made with an almost flat pen-angle and the c– stroke has that little vertical hairline “finisher”.

There are two versions of the letter z --- to be used either by choice or to aid inter-letter spacing. The first one's sloping line has a slight curve, with the pen-angle steepening as it nears the base. Bottom left corner should be directly under the entry point of the top stroke. The second version looks like a numeral 3 with an extended tail. Keep the flat top stroke in this one a bit shorter than that which was used in the first version. Your practice words are waxen and crazy. (which z will you use?)
  #156   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
merseyside

Couldn't wait to start the next batch I decided to write 'crazy' with both types of 'z'. I like them both, but would you place the descendered z in front of the y (too busy?).
I have used my new Higgins ink, and new pen nib on Conqueror paper. I tried to scan on 800dpi but my scanner dosn't like it, kept taking me back to 600dpi. Will try and alter the resolution sizes for next time.

~ Marie ~
  #157   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Very nice, Marie. Scanning at 600 has worked extremely well --- it is the sharpest that you sent up to now. Keep to it.
In your two examples, I prefer the descender z because the letter spacing is better. I used a little bit of trickery in my example --- by shortening the top stroke and lengthening the bottom stroke I got it a bit closer to the and let the bottom of the letter occupy a little more of the space under the y . Also the slope stroke in the z in the first crazy comes too quickly to a thin line, creating a little more space !

Check that x . It is a fraction too thick in ther middle, meaning that the two strokes are not perfectly superimposed. Nit-picking aren't I ?! But you are doing too well for me to let anything escape

You will have to wait until later tomorrow for the next lesson --- it is approaching midnight here and have you no idea how many typing mistakes I have had to correct !!! I almost left miffle stay in the last para --- it was such a lovely "word"

I 'll be out painting en plein air tomorrow morning (in watercolors) with a friend --- it is our fortnightly treat.

Geoff
  #158   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
merseyside

Hi Geoff....I am really enjoying this tutorial, I have always wanted to learn some type of gothic calligraphy. As you said in your opening post "hope you all enjoy it as much as me", well I certainly like it. It is very pleasing to the eye.

I understand your explanation of the little trick with the small 'z', it fits snuggly in between the a and the y. I can now see that in my example if I had shortened the top of the z I could have brought the y in much closer.
I was pleased with my 2nd example re the spacing but didn't know if it was correct to place this z next to the y?

No rush with the next lesson, I will only be able to get back to it after Monday, I have the grandchildren over for this week-end so will be tied up with them.

Hope you have a lovely day tomorrow with your watercolouring. See you next week

~ Marie ~
  #159   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

CALLIGRAPHY TUTORIAL
GOTHIC -- BÂTARDE

LESSON 3

Now is the time to meet letters with bowls in their construction.

Letter g starts like the c with a slightly longer and more level top stroke projecting to the right. The vertical downstroke changes into a gentle, very steep, curve down to the right that eventually comes back to the left curving with a generous hairline. If you find that awkward to do at this stage, look at the word badge and there is an alternative --- note how the final hairline points up to the junction of the two downstrokes, making a very nice shaped counter. Make the groups of 5 with whichever you have chosen to do.

The letter q is similar to the g but the top stroke tilts down a little as in letter c, and doesn't have the projection. The descender ends with a fine stroke pointing up to inevitable letter u ! Groups of five.

The next letter, d , is made at first as in o. It may be helpful to curve a trailing hairline up towards the starting point. At about mid-way up from the waist-line to the ascender's top guideline, and out to the left of the first stroke, make a hook and come directly down to finish as in the o. Do not make the first part curvy. Keep aware of the shape of the bowl. Practise and check this one thoroughly.

The first downstroke of p becomes a short descender ending with a vertical trailing hairline. For the second stroke, come up out of the downstroke in the same spot as in the n but finish with the move made in o. Make the final base stroke as a slightly curved arc, starting and finishing on the baseline. Check it out in your groups of 5.

Finally, the b which is quite straightforward and has a top flourishing serif that echoes the stroke holding the right side of the bowl --- note the lovely counter shape made and contained by the carefully directed hairline. After the usual groups and checks, write the two words: equip and badge and post them to me.

We have now used about two-thirds of the letters --- and things are getting easier!
The letter m is derived from the n but here an alternative final section is shown . When the final stroke is to be written, take the linking stroke out horizontally with a flatter pen-angle. From there come down vertically (using the usual 45 degree pen-angle) and carry it noticeably to below the base line, converting it to a trailing hairline as you go below. This terminal stroke may be used also for the n. Practise in the groups of 5.

Letter h has a combination of b and n components. k and r are also quite straightforward. When making letter t, start a little above the waistline and to the right; then strike down and across to the left before coming down vertically. The cross-bar uses a flattened pen-angle and terminates with a little vertical trailing hairline. Practise each of these in groups of five and then write the words

Now to the last group.

The only letter needing a bit of explanation here is the s. Starting at 11 o'clock, make a half-sized “buffalo horn” and finish it by sliding up to the right at 45 degrees for one pen-width. (Remember to make the bottom point immediately below the beginning point.) From that slide, make the inverted “buffalo horn” down to the 5 o'clock point. Take your pen up to the bottom point of the first stroke, slide it only a little down to the left and then carry the stroke back to the end of the previous stroke. Can you see the shield-shaped counter that you have made? The top stroke has a final hairline curving flick up out of it. Practise these letters until you are happy with them and then try the two words.

A characteristic of this style is the sometimes amalgamating of “bowl” letters. It permits two letters to be thought of as one and allows the two bowls to be spaced either side of just one stroke. This gives an attractive placement of letter spacing.

Do you remember the way in which we superimposed the strokes in the letter x? We use the same idea here. When two curved strokes are adjacent to each other in consecutive letters, the second is superimposed precisely over the first. I have diluted my ink to write these so that you may be able to see more clearly the placement of the pen-strokes. If you make the letter h with a fully curved final stroke, you may treat it this way also. Don't do more than a pair of letters at a time --- the word boogie won't have four consecutive superimposed letters !

The letter r coming after a bowl letter will start within the bowl, slide up at 45 degrees out of the bowl, and finish as shown. It is reminiscent of the right half of a majuscule R . The curve echoes the near curve of the bowl letter.

That is the introductory Batarde lesson --- and I shall be showing you some other developments of it later. If you have been strict with yourself whilst practising these units you will have opened the door to some quite exciting writing in the future.

Your Batarde assignment is to write this Chinese proverb (arrange it as you wish) :

be not preoccupied of going slowly, only of standing still
  #160   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
merseyside

Hi Geoff....here are my 'equip' and 'badge'

Will wait for your comments before carrying on with next section

~ Marie ~
  #161   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Marie,

Letters --- coming on well. Spacing --- not so good.
Enlarge your image and then look at it with squinted eyes, or with really dark sunglasses on. Look for patches within each word that look darker than elsewhere. There should be an evenness of tone throughout the word.

In the word equip the spacing between q and
i
is spot on. The thin sloping line in e is a tad too thick, making it heavier than it should be and therefore giving a wrong spacing appearance. This causes a similar effect in the second word.

The only other major point is about sharpness. Look at the baseline area of each letter in my example and note how sharp it is --- with a similar sharpness at the top. So, the pen isn't pulled around but has a sudden switch of direction to make that sharp quality.

You are almost there ! Give me very thin "thins" and very sharp "sharps" --- and you will be a real, batarde babe !!!

You managed that hairline tail for the letter g very well indeed --- congratulations. It is not as easy as it looks !!!

Geoff
  #162   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
merseyside

re-did the last two words and posted the next two words

Any better...?

~ Marie ~
  #163   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
merseyside

Geoff, been practising the end of the lesson all yesterday and this morning. I now have something for you

I found the spacing a problem in the word 'preoccupied' with joining the o and the c together, the second c looked lost! Noticed on scanning, in the word 'slowly' the s, o, and w are a bit sloppy at the base line . Another problem I kept hitting was the double l's at the very end of the sentence, couldn't get the spacing quite right......awaiting your verdict

~ Marie ~
  #164   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Marie.
I shall be sending you a very full c&c later.

How I just wish I could be standing behind you and looking over your shoulder to give "on the spot " guidance, or get out my pen and pad and demonstrate what I want to say. You have no idea how frustrating this online instruction is --- having to type with words instead of penning with letters !!!!!!

But, it's a task I have to make successful.

'old yer 'osses for a moment

Geoff
  #165   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
merseyside

No probs Geoff....oldin me osses Please be gentle with that whip.....!!!!!

~ Marie ~