WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Class 101
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2007, 06:50 PM

Re: Boro Tutorials

Moderator, please remove my previous post in a day or two since it's not really a tutorial. Thanks and apologies.
Keith
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast
Whittier, CA

Hails from United States

Moderator - please don't remove the post because it gives instructions on different techniques to try with this bead! Thanks
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Moderator, If you do not feel the post are appropriate for this thread can they be copied over to the boro newbie thread in the glass lobby. I would hate to lose the information. Thanks!!!

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2007, 01:07 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Moderator - can you do my dishes for me tonight?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Check out Don's new heart Tutorial with great pictures over on the LE newbie tutorial thread
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=71430

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2007, 09:24 AM

Thank you for sharing such valuable information. Now, time to play!
Jo Anne
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Rhode Island

Hails from United States

Boro Frit Stone Pendant
By Paula McDonough aka The Venerable Bead

This tutorial is a tribute to all the fine glass artists who have taught me along the way either in classes or in their generous informal sharing of techniques. It is a culmulative expression of my love for this medium. Take it and find your own voice

Glass
1 8mm rod of clear
1 6mm rod of clear
1 rod of either butterscotch, carmel, almond nuggest, silver sands or silver
strike 5 that is basically any silver based rod in a beige color
The mariner's promise frit blend and if you do not have that blend then you
can use emma's emerald or nessie's dowry. If you do not have any venerable
bead blends then make your own with some different greens and blues and
throw in some yellow
clear frit in small size (optional)

Tools
parallel mashers or you can use a marver and a graphite paddle
tungsten pick (it has got to be tungsten)
graphite reamer
marver pad
frit tray or you can use marble mold to hold the frit
1/8 inch mandrel
bead release
brass stump shaper

1. Make a butterscotch bead on your 1/8 inch mandrel which has been coated with bead relase. Roll it in The Mariner's Promise boro frit blend and melt smooth. encase in clear and pop the bead in the kiln leaving enough of the mandrel hanging out so that you will be able to grab it out without burning yourself. I use 12 inch mandrels.

2. Take a 8 mm clear rod and melt a ball on the end. Cover the ball with butterscotch by striping from the top of the ball down. completely cover the clear. Melt smooth.

3. Now get the ball of glass nice and hot and roll it in The mariners Promise frt blend covering the ball with frit. it may take a few times of reheating and rolling to get good coverage. Melt smooth. heat the ball back up and roll in clear frit (optional) and melt smooth.

4. Het the ball until it is hot and molten, flatten it with parallel mashers. If you do not have parallel mashers then use a marver and a graphite paddle

5. Heat the lollipop. Take your tungsten pick and get it hot and glowing. be careful not to put it directly into the flame but put it very close to the flame until it is bright red. Pierce the center of your lollipop with the tungsten pick. Keep the pick hotter than the glass or the pick will stick. Do this until you have a hole big enough to fit your graphite reamer. It may take several times of reheating the tungsten pick and poking before you make your way through the lollipop. If your tungsten pick fumes onto your piece just burn the yellow fume off in the flame. Pleasee make sure you have excellent ventilation and wear a respirator if you have one. the tungsten is quite noxious and bad for you.
Now keep the glass hot and keep the graphite reamer out of the flame. Work the hole until it is the size you like. Keep the hole hot and burn away any of the graphite that gets into the hole. keep spinning the graphite reamer as you work the hole

6. Now remove your bead bail from the kiln and attach it to the top of the lollipop by getting both the bead and the spot where you will attach it glowing hot. You want a hot seal. Bring the two together in the flame then remove them from the flame and pull up on your bead bail. Straighten it out before it sets. Now smooth out the chill marks around the seal in the flame.

7.Now you have the mandrel in one hand and the clear rod in the other. Using gradient heat , heat from the hole to the end with the clear rod and begin to pull into the desired shape. Pull off clear rod and then melt end into the arrow shape. Use brass stump shaper to make arrow. Now decorate the front of the pendant with dots or squiggles and pop into hot kiln.
anneal at 1050 for 1 hour

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Rhode Island

Hails from United States

here is the original and several variations using the same colors

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Kodiak Island, Alaska

Hails from United States

Kare,
Thanks for posting a link to my hearts tutorial. If anyone has questions or needs clarification, please don't be shy, PM me. And post pics if you try this method.

-Don-
Me on ebay
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:29 PM

so... wow... i hate doing long things... i always mess something up near the end... like hitting backspace, and loosing everything i just did, near the end of, of course.... so, try number three....

making this bugger...

first take your tube pull, and close it up

heat the bugger up nice and even, and blow slowly, lookin for nice and even...

then you heat the end and blow out, it may take a few times, heating just one little spot...

then flare the end out...

you should have your silver already on the end of a rod, so with a slightly reducing flame, work the end in the flame, aiming all the while into your bell...(this is a bit much, you can play with it for different effects)

take a smaller clear rod, and add three dots around the far inside, then alternating anther set of three dots, for a total of six(think thats what i have)

now for the heat... start working the bugger in the heat, slowly condensing it down

and some more...

you should start to see the dots imploding

raging GTT Cricket and a Carlisle CC with a bunch of tanked oxygen
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:30 PM

once the end closes, it might look like this

while heating the whole end good, take a 10mm rod and attach to the end

heat... heat... heat, and add a twist to it all (go slow, with alot of heat)

once your twisted like you like, slowing heat your tube side, till it condenses all the way down and you can flame cut it off...

to pull glass for the loop, i heat up the end real well, and take a rod,(any will do) and attach to the end, pulling slightly up and out. once you have the length, you can tap off the punty

use heat and gravity to draw end around to attach back to pendant.

with 6mm punty, attach a cold seal to the loop

and heat off the 10mm rod off the other end

clean up the end

and round off the end in the flame, using gravity

warm up some tweezers (i have some nifty ones that are closed, and you have to squeeze to open) tap off the cold seal and flame polish your loop

raging GTT Cricket and a Carlisle CC with a bunch of tanked oxygen
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Kodiak Island, Alaska

Hails from United States

Shawn, thanks for the great tutorial, I love pictures. What size and wall thickness tube did you use?

-Don-

Nevermind, I just backed up a few pages (or was it the other thread?) and found that you said you used 19mm heavywall.
Me on ebay

Last edited by Fyrsmith : 11-19-2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Duh
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2007, 09:05 PM
A Local Legend
Beautiful Colorado

Hails from United States

Great tutorial!!! Fantastic pendant and how to make a loop rather than a donut on the mandrel. Thank you....thank you!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Leaf Tutorial

I originally learned how to make leaves from the book “Flameworking” by Elizabeth Ryland Mears. This book has a lot of great information for beginners and intermediate boro folks.

Supplies
Clear rod
GA Trans Green
VB Amber Mist frit

Tools
Masher
Round pliers (or other shape)
Small brass shaper

1. Encase clear rod with Trans green

2. Heat until lines melt in and then mash

3. Heat lollypop and dip one side in frit , reheat and dip one edge again

4. Melt in Frit

5. Heat until soft and use brass shaper to make vein marks (usually take two or three times reheating)

6. Cold attach punty

7. Make sure the leaf is soft and stretch , if too soft wait two seconds. Heat the body of the leaf not the tip when doing this.

8. Flame cut and heat at the tip on one side and use pliers, move from top to bottom. Flip and do other side (if pliers have different prongs flip those also if you want the sides to match.

9. Finish shaping, disconnect and attch to bead or make loop. I make tabs so that I can easily attach bunches together .

Please post any pictures or questions in the boro newbie thread in the Glass Lobby. I put some cool tools and finished leaves pictures there. Have fun

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

We've had a little change in plans and our scheduled tutorial will be posted at a later date. But wanted to make sure there was something new for everyone.
So for those who are implosion challenged... here is a Turtle tut. I've listed colors but you can use what you have.

Please post questions and comments on the boro newbie thread in the Glass Lobby.

Turtle Tutorial

Supplies:
Clear rod (Med size and small)
Pearl Green
NS Silver Creek
NS Unxplainium
NS Sublime (cut into five ½ inch pieces)
Black stringer

Tools:
Masher
Graphite marver
Flat nosed pliers

1. Make a clear maria and use the mashers to flatten

2. Use the Green Pearl to cover the top with the last wrap just coming over the edge to cover the clear and melt in well

3. Make dots with Silver Creek and then Unexplainium as you like leaving space around them. Use the small clear rod to fill in around color.

4. Start melting and shaping

5. Make sure you melt really well so that the crackle look seen above melts in. Use the small rod to fill in divots

6. When you get the shape you want start adding the legs that you pre cut.

7. Shape as you go with flat pliers, make sure they are melted in well. Add the head and shape. I use a razor tool to make the mouth. Use black stringer to make eyes.

8. Add a loop or cut rod and use the turtle as is. Make sure he goes in a hot kiln and that you ramp down after annealing to prevent cracking

Have fun!!