WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2019, 04:21 AM
US

Hails from United States
Thunderstorm I

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Thunderstorm I
Year Created:
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11 x 17
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
While a thunderstorm rages during the Cretaceous summer, a lone T. rex spooks a pair of Edmontosaurus as it tries to find shelter from the storm. In the distance, a trio of ostrich-mimics (Struthiomimus) speedily seek out shelter too.

This drawing is an homage to the painting "Tyrannosaurus and Trachodon" by Zdenek Burian, the legendary Czech paleoartist. The painting can be found easily on Google image search.

Being an homage, I admit the originality is diminished. However, I did put a couple of twists into it by making it a stormy setting and "updating" the dinosaurs.

It should be noted that the contrast was partially achieved by digital means. This was due to the original photo making the drawing appear too light.

Also of special note, due to the debate over the integument of T. rex being either scaly or feathered still underway, I decided to take a middle ground approach by giving the mostly scaly T. rex a "saddle" of emu-like feathers.

Two other minor mistakes that should be ignored are the following:

1) The lower jaw of the T. rex is a little too long. The shadowing does help hide it.

2) The Struthiomimus trio in the background are a little too big. This was due to a misjudgment in perspective.

Overall, this drawing is a personal landmark for me in the amount of detail and research that went into it. This is the first "real" paleo-artwork I feel would potentially good enough to be featured in books, jou<br>als, etc.

However, I would like to have it critiqued so that way I can know whether or not this drawing is good enough. Because I think there is always room for improvement.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Feedback on the overall composition is welcomed.

The following are of special interest:

Does the contrast help set the mood for the scene?

Does the movement of the dinosaurs appear "natural"? (e.g. Do you think the animals would move like this in real life?)

Are the subtleties of the dinosaurs' expressions enough to convey their behavior?

Last edited by dinodakhudson : 10-18-2019 at 04:24 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2019, 05:17 AM
Singapore

Hails from United States
Re: Thunderstorm I

You might need to adjust the size of the picture and repost. It is very big and we can't see the whole thing in the screen.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2019, 06:32 AM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Paleo-art is something close to my own heart, and I think your off to a good start.
Your on the right path and taking the time to do your research is a key part in recreating these fascinating creatures. I do like the way you used your artistic license to go with the partial feathered T-rex.

New research is constantly changing our interpretation in the feather v featherless debate so I think you were correct to go with your choice. Although just for an update, I think the latest research put the T-Rex back to featherless as bio-mechanical tests have revealed that feathers do not offer any advantage for large animals,eg Elephants or Rhino, so natural selection would have favored for thick skin in bio thermal control.

Your going in the right direction trying to tell a story here, but there is some areas you could work on improving.
First is the values, and how the image reads overall. I could talk at length about this, but you will just have to go and spend the time to study and understand this. Basically, everything is getting lost in one another.

In fact the first dinosaur looks like it coming out of the one behind it. There are a few visual tangent issues here also and your value separation is only reinforcing this. Its actually very confusing to read.

Speaking of visual tangents, its very odd to have the background Edmontosaurus out of frame with some of the head area. I don't know if this is a result of your upload or the actual drawing.

Shadows are not matching up to light direction and there are shadows missing where there should be some.

Right now these are fundamental issues. That is to say your understanding of the basics. Spend time to study light and shadow, values, composition, etc.

The dinosaurs look a little stiff, so work on learning gesture and how to translate this. Also remember that they were living breathing animals, so don't forget to try add more in the way of muscles and definition to these areas, it makes all the difference.

If your really interested in getting better, then study anatomy. Go to the zoo, outside, and draw animals in real life. Pets too! You absolutely have to have an excellent grasp on anatomy. This will help you recreate images from imagination.

Overall, I like where your going, just keep at it. You have to walk before you can run. Keep posting your work too. Hope it helps, and good luck with it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2019, 08:03 AM
US

Hails from United States

I'll re-upload asap. I'm not sure exactly how it happen, but it's an easy fix. Thanks for the reply!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2019, 08:08 AM
US

Hails from United States

XD
Thank you for the advice and for the update. Your critique certainly has given me much needed direction in how I can improve my works. I think in my future depictions I'll make the feathers more sparse (like the hair on an elephant.) I do have a few books about drawing animals, so those should come in handy.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2019, 08:22 AM
US

Hails from United States

Hi everyone. Unfortunately, I will have to make a whole new thread with the resized picture. I'm not sure exactly, but I'm not able to edit the thread anymore. So I will have to reupload and make it a new thread. Of course, if anyone knows of a better way, by all means, please share! Thanks and I apologize for the inconvenience.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2019, 08:38 AM
US

Hails from United States

Here's the re-upload. ^^

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...4#post21680244