WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Seattle

Hails from United States
Re: Intro - pastel newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy2000
The only problem with the sampler boxes is that it made me want more of all but 2 brands lol!

Mike, yes, Iíve seen that youtube video of Alainís. Iíve watched so many of his videos and he has an online class starting, but the price was too much for me. Iíve signed up for Karen Margulisí silver level Patreon membership. Itís only $6/month and she is very disciplined with what she provides patrons and you have access to ALL the content since she launched. I think formonline learning for someone new like me that it is an amazing value and I definitely recommend it. She paints in a style (like Alain) that is very appealing to me personally. Someone who wants to do portraits or very realistic painting would probably be happier elsewhere.

Have either of you thought of trying to make your own pastels or grounds? It's really fun, if you want to try it. When I first got into pastels I wanted to try everything, even just to find out about how things work. I don't really have the exacting kind of personality I think you need to make great pastels, I'm just not careful or fussy enough, I guess, to follow recipes to the letter or to carefully document my process, so I wind up with a variety of different levels of softness and color mixes. I did manage to get some really nice quality pastels and it is pretty easy to do. If you're interested in experimenting I can tell you what I learned along the way and give you a recipe that will pretty much guarantee success if you want. Just let me know. I really had a blast doing it and I learned a lot too.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2019, 10:33 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

[quote=Richard Barrere]Have either of you thought of trying to make your own pastels or grounds? It's really fun, if you want to try it.

Thanks, Richard.... but I really don't think I would have the patience to try and make my own. Do you ever actually "buy" pigment to make some from scratch? Or are you just making them from the dust that collects as you paint?

Tracy, I, too, follow Karen Margulis and am a patron. She and Alain seem to paint in a very similar style. There is SO much available out there on youtube. But there is also a LOT of info here on WetCanvas when I go back through old forum posts. This place is a treasure trove of ideas, techniques, and information!!

Mike
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2019, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry I havenít responded before now...Iím on vacation and had out of state company for a visit. I had to drop the family member at seatac at 5am earlier in the week so, you know, if Iím up THAT early and ahead of traffic, might as well drive to Mt Vernon lol. I did a giant splurge on a set of 50 Mount Visions so have been having fun.

Richard, I probably wouldnít make my own, but you know...Iíve said I wouldnít try things (um...like pastels!) in the past and changed my mind later. I think if you are up for it one rainy afternoon or evening to write things out, it would be great info to know! Plus, Iím VERY curious about pigment info for pastels since I get a little geekier than average about watercolor pigments and and find it odd, really, that pastelists arenít much into that. Of course, the need to distinguish between transparent vs opaque, inert vs active, staining vs not, obviously doesnít have the same level of importance for pastels. if you post the instructions, maybe it would be good as a separate thread so people can search formit in the future?

Mike, Iím glad to know someone else following Karenís info. I wish I could do the same with Alainís class (too $$ at the moment). I hope to attend at least one pastel workshop in 2020. Dakota has released the names of the instructors for 2020 so Iíve been trying to visit websites and see whose style might be a good fit for me. Topics are to be announced.