WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Seattle

Hails from United States
Diane Townsend dry grounds

Hey, has anyone ever tried this? I just noticed it in the Dakota website, under "spotlighted products" and I've never heard of this before. Apparently you can rub this on any paper and it will give you a pastel ground? Would like to know how it works, if anyone has used it. Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2019, 08:05 AM

Re: Diane Townsend dry grounds

Hi Richard,

No, I haven't used it yet, but your post intrigued me. I can recall reading that many pastellists in the past, including Rosalba Carriera, would rub their papers down with a pumice stone prior to drawing & painting with pastels. According to Diane Townsend's website:

"The dry ground is a pumice based chunk of material made to be applied to paper and rubbed in with your hand. The purpose of such a ground is to give a bit of "tooth" to a surface which will grab the pastel and make it smooth for layering."

So, from what I can tell, Diane is providing a tool that allows us to revive a historical practice. Casey Klahn seems to be using the dry ground in his work with charcoal and pastel. I will order some this weekend and report back with results. For those working on paper, it sounds like another nice tool to have available.

John

My Beautiful Muse