WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#256   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 02:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States
Re: What are you listening to . . . (reprise)

Joni Mitchell's influence on American guitar playing is severely underrated. She was one of the first people outside the UK to make such extensive use of open tunings, many of her own invention, beyond the usual open D and open G. I don't know how many she had. A lot.

This is a song I associate with breaking up with one of my more important girlfriends, even though we didn't last long. I am not alone in this, I'm sure. Be prepared to bleed, yeah, that is where love is at, especially when your lover is as young and beautiful and bright as she was. I wasn't much older.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YuaZcylk_o

The best live recording of the Bothy Band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IRWVKhDzxA

Still the gold standard after all these years, to which all subsequent Neo-trad Irish bands aspire. Nobody could up the ante like the Bothies. I greatly regret that I never caught them live, but I did catch Tríona solo at the Irish-American Social Club in Watertown, MA circa 1985.

Just her and the clavinet. She didn't sing a word of English, and I doubt there were many Gaelic speakers in the audience (I was the only person there who wasn't Irish, or of Irish descent), but no one cared. Mesmerizing.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman

Last edited by musket : 04-09-2019 at 02:31 PM.
  #257   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 04:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Never heard of the Bothy Band, Musket. Some tight playing there. That Irish music...you either want to dance with joy or sit and cry. Good stuff.

So to segway from tight playing and Steve Morse when he was in the Dixie Dregs ("avant guard country music"). And you may notice some Irish riffs in there, I think, https://youtu.be/DOlxUqXDEHA?t=792 I liked him with these guys the best.

Joni Joni Joni....... and David Hockney, to bring the visual arts in and two of my favorite artists. Adorable...though I would like to remember her as the pretty young thing, I must confess.

“It was a pretty quiet moment,” Jacob Sousa said this week from his job at the L.A. Louver gallery in the Venice neighborhood of Los Angeles, where David Hockney’s solo exhibition “Something New in Painting (and Photography) [and even Printing] ... Continued” is on view.

“There were only a couple of gallery visitors, and one of my colleagues said, ‘Joni Mitchell is here,’ so I grabbed my camera and waited for her on the second floor.”

It was there that Ms. Mitchell spotted Mr. Hockney, an acquaintance, and where Mr. Sousa asked the two if he could capture the moment.

“She smiled and stepped in front of the painting and took David by the hand,”

Last edited by john : 04-09-2019 at 04:44 PM.
  #258   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 05:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Yeesh, I wish I hadn't seen that photo of her. People shouldn't age. Die, yes. But better to die looking like you're twenty-five. Intelligent design my butt.

I certainly agree that Steve Morse was at his best with the Dixie Dregs. But the guy can play pretty much anything. He's no slouch on classical.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman

Last edited by musket : 04-09-2019 at 05:15 PM.
  #259   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 05:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

A great guitar player most people don't know about. Johnny A is a throwback to the days of the great guitar instrumentals. His arrangements are beautiful, his chord voicings unusual, his tone gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL3mvkZ6mVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IRetoeEecc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sg-zfYr5iA

He can also chicken pick with the best of them. And he is an extremely sexy blues player. Which, my friends, is what playing the blues is all about-- making the girls go weak in the knees if you're a guy, and the guys go weak in the knees if you're a girl.

The sexiest blues player, and singer, on the face of the earth--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErCfACTylvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXVoOgwiYc8

Somebody help me, please. I can't stand up.

Last edited by musket : 04-09-2019 at 05:34 PM.
  #260   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 05:58 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I met you on a midway at a fair last year
And you stood out like a ruby in a black man's ear
You were playing on the horses, you were playing on the guitar strings
You were playing like a devil wearing wings, wearing wings…

My Goodness Bonnie.

"That song about the midway"
  #261   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 06:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

So here you go, john. Steve Morse and Eric Johnson.

To me, Morse just sounds like any number of great shredders here. There's nothing especially distinctive about it.

Johnson sounds like Johnson and nobody else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwthgpVeGz0
  #262   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 07:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
I met you on a midway at a fair last year
And you stood out like a ruby in a black man's ear
You were playing on the horses, you were playing on the guitar strings
You were playing like a devil wearing wings, wearing wings…

My Goodness Bonnie.

"That song about the midway"

One night in 1971 I wandered into either Gerde's or the Au Go Go, I forget which, on Bleecker St with a friend and fellow guitarist.

And there we were confronted with this exceedingly cute and majorly hot chick with masses of curly red hair, a gold ankle bracelet, and a National steel, sitting on a stool singing a song called "Let Me Be Your Blender." Our jaws promptly hit the floor. Instant lust. She was not yet really well known outside of Boston and Cambridge.

There are many worthy pretenders to the throne, but unless she drops dead or decides to hang it up for good, none of them are even close to pushing her off it. She's the greatest white blues singer who has ever been, male or female, and ditto for one of the world's greatest slide guitarists.
  #263   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 09:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
So here you go, john. Steve Morse and Eric Johnson.

To me, Morse just sounds like any number of great shredders here. There's nothing especially distinctive about it.

Johnson sounds like Johnson and nobody else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwthgpVeGz0

Cool, hadn't heard that one. One of the comments there said it ..." on one hand Morse just smashes it but then Johnson comes in with the feels

Ever hear of Danny Gatton? He makes a runs here that make me smile. I don't know how hard it is to do but sounds pretty impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoDp8hCipDM

Last edited by john : 04-09-2019 at 09:46 PM.
  #264   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Oh yeah, sure, I know Danny Gatton.

His nickname was The Humbler. He spent years and years being the best guitar player you've never heard of, finally scored an eight-album contract with Elektra, and became the greatest guitar player every other guitar player was afraid of. The first album did well, but after that they didn't know what the hell to do with him. He didn't sing, he didn't look like a star. Everything fell apart, and he shot himself in the head. He left no note. He was forty-nine years old. I remember that day very well. Everybody in the store where I worked was in shock. It was friggin' awful, in some ways worse than when Stevie Ray died. At least Stevie didn't kill himself.

Our Fender rep, George Blodgett, told us that Danny had always felt inferior to people with formal musical training. No matter how George tried to convince him that this was nonsense, Danny wouldn't listen. Apparently he suffered from severe clinical depression. Nobody really knows, but it was a terrible loss to the guitar world.

As for whether this stuff is hard (one of my favorite versions of Mystery Train, which was one of my favorite tunes to play), the answer is extremely. Some of the stuff he did was damn near impossible. Danny had a tendency to overplay at times, largely through being influenced by another greatest guitar player nobody had ever heard of, Roy Buchanan, who also killed himself. But no question at all that Danny was indeed one of the greatest guitar players who has ever been.

He would have been better off staying an unknown.

Last edited by musket : 04-09-2019 at 11:00 PM.
  #265   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 11:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

I've probably posted this already, but wotthehell wotthehell.

I feel sorry, truly sorry, for all the kids who missed out on it. They can have no clue at all what it was like. We really thought we could do it for awhile there, change the world with love, peace and music (also sex and dope). Then most of us turned into the biggest bunch of sellouts in American history.

But before that, there was this. Simple, timelessly beautiful and to people like me, achingly sad. We had the chance. We blew it. As Stephen King says in Hearts in Atlantis, I like lots of people my age when it's one on one, but I loathe and despise my generation. Man, we suck. We have no business scolding the Millennials about anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1aft5wX6o
  #266   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2019, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
The ineffable June.

I heard her do this one live, with Andy Cutting on diatonic accordion as on this recording, back in 1996 at a small church in Lexington, MA (the concert was sponsored by an old friend). Even though she never varies from the recordings, it's different seeing her live. She has tremendous stage presence. Most intense performer I've ever seen, when she's doing this kind of material.

She can also be quite playful on more lighthearted numbers, but that isn't what she's best known for.

Since we're talking English singers, we ought to pay tribute to poor Sandy Denny, with her best known tune while she was with Fairport Convention. Such a beautiful voice, such a messed up life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeZL2FXkGqI

Lovely!

And such nice coincidences in the subtitles!: I lived in Muswell Hill when I first met my ex husband in a Holloway Road Music Pub

Also, Richard Thompson! One of my very favourite singer songwriters. I was trying to find one of his songs to post as he must have had a Bipolar girlfriend at one time, and it's one of the very best descripions of what men who fall in love with bipolar ladies have to look forward to at times But we're never, ever boring

.....Although I have it on iTunes, there's no sight of it on YouTube (unless other more experienced searchers can find it for me). It's called "She Steers by Lightning" from the album "You? Me? Us?".

Instead I've found another favorite from the same album. Luckily I've never had to experience such horrors, but a dear friend is sadly being mangled by a break up like this right now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlqpb6jqm3k

As you were recently talking about relationships causing pain, you might be able to relate to this one, but I sincerely hope you can't....

Sephie
  #267   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
..though I would like to remember her as the pretty young thing, I must confess.

Most men would. It's perfectly natural for men to be attracted to healthy-looking women in peak breeding condition, and my lovely daughter is certainly enjoying experiencing this phenomenon right now as she sets off for a new life on foreign shores with a man twice her age, and with mother's full approval, as I think he's just perfect for her, and he's stony broke too, so I know it's real love

I thought I'd be past all that by the time I reached 40, as it makes making platonic friends so much easier when they don't find you physically attractive any more. But it's the Unknowable's little joke on me that, even at almost 65, there are still a few men out there who seem to be exceptions to the rule, and although I can't see what biological function it could possibly fulfil, I'm both flattered and bemused to have recently found this out

I was talking with an historian friend about it yesterday, because I wanted to find out the name given to those marvellous old French ladies who ...you know...the ones in the Parisian Salons holding court about all kinds of interesting subjects whilst having lots of lovely young men at their feet, gazing up at them adoringly and sighing about how cruel the age difference is 💔..... That really tickles my fancy, even though I've never actually fancied a conventionally good-looking man in my life, and for very good reasons too!

Well, historian friend was flummoxed, so I've just looked it up. Apparently I'm a would-be "Salonnière", and all I have to do is emulate Mme Geoffrin in dress and hairstyle, and pester Brian to teach me how to talk knowledgeably about philosophy!...Oh, and get over my dislike of being in any room with more than one or two other people in it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_...Rodet_Geoffrin

No. 1 introduced me to a lovely film many years ago, as he's so much younger than I am. Very touching and sad. Now we're just friends again, I'd love to watch it with him and his new girlfriend the next time they're passing through

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/i...aude_cover.jpg

“.....Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale
Her infinite variety: other women cloy
The appetites they feed: but she makes hungry
Where most she satisfies;”

Will knew what he was talking about, methinks....

And so, here's what I'm listening to on iTunes right now to match the mood.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOTZ4vzFrrk

Dana Colley on sax, I presume. No. 1 introduced me to more excellent American music than any other man, and still does. Morphine were sublime...and with Codeine Phosphate coursing through my brain and body right now, because the docs couldn't give me morphine as I swiftly upchuck the stuff when taken orally, I find that quite funny

This I think, was the first song he ever introduced me to when we first bonded. I asked him about it back in 2015, and he said that he knew I was "trouble" right from the start. Clever man

I like the fact that more of us are relaxing and getting more autobiographical at the Café now. It's much more like the lovely atmosphere here so many years ago.... much more like real café life in Europe....or New Zealand, as it happens

Maybe it's like dancing as the ship goes down, which is the way I'd prefer to check out, but I do hope not

You've now had the dubious honour of being the recipient of the Coffee/Codeine ramble that I warned John E would bubble over once my first guest had left

Environmentalist guest was only supposed to stay for fifteen minutes, but left two hours later, only managing a whirlwind tour of the trees in my garden as he was leaving! It's that island love of talking about Cabbages and Kings, you see. And I can assure you I wasn't the only one doing the talking, as you might reasonably imagine!

He's a thespian Sagittarian male - the only kind who can easily follow the non-linear thoughts of a Geminian woman being expressed at top speed, and then say twice as much in return

We are meeting again after Easter to actually talk about those trees...honest!

The dried fruits are still soaking, and I'm going to sling a bit of spare Calvados over them to add a little something extra to the mix!

The Portuguese have yet to arrive, thank goodness, and may not for some days. We islanders are also famous for being rather French in our attitude to work - we only do it if and when we feel like it, as money isn't as important as having fun is. If there's a good ormering tide in the offing, we just don't turn up for work at all, and head for the beaches instead, ormering hooks in hand!

Best friend has just emailed me some key phrases in Portuguese to entertain them with

Now, what does the rest of that cake recipe tell me to do?....kitchen now smells like warm mince pies and I'm going to have to wait until fruit mix cools again before adding rest of ingredients as I had to boil off the Calvados a bit so as not to have too much liquid in there.....

Just put Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" on to dance to whilst cooking this time

Non-Alcoholically Sozzled Sephie
  #268   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2019, 09:04 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

"And now a song by the blessed Richard Thompson, the Prince of Doom and Gloom." ~June Tabor

Morphine were local Cambridge boys. Mark was perpetually stoned and an early casualty. Don't know about the sax player and drummer.

The predecessor of Morphine for Mark, Treat Her Right, was also a good band.
  #269   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:38 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Ow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpNw7jYkbVc
  #270   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2019, 07:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AceEf1o3vXw

A little horn tooting-- I made this instrument for Guy in 1980.