WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#136   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:23 AM

Hails from Brazil
Re: What are you listening to . . . (reprise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
I used to listen to lots of Brazilian music
Yes, if I am not mistaken once I saw you mention that you have lived many years in São Paulo.
  #137   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:55 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensun
Yes, if I am not mistaken once I saw you mention that you have lived many years in São Paulo.

Sim, muito feliz anos para min 😊
  #138   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2019, 01:57 PM

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
Sim, muito feliz anos para min 😊
São Paulo is a great city . Eu amo São Paulo.
  #139   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

In the past, I would have counted chamber music... string quartets, quintets, trios, etc... among the genre of classical music that I listened to the least. I never "disliked" chamber music... I just needed to be in the mood for it. Today, I seem to be in the mood for it far more often.

Most recently I've been perusing the performances of the Borodin Quartet. Yesterday, it was their recording of Haydn's String Quartets op. 33. Today, its a 60th-anniversary disc with performances of quartets by their name-sake, Alexander Borodin, as well as works by Tchaikovski, Rachmaninov, Schubert, and Webern.

#140   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2019, 12:43 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
In the past, I would have counted chamber music... string quartets, quintets, trios, etc... among the genre of classical music that I listened to the least. I never "disliked" chamber music... I just needed to be in the mood for it. Today, I seem to be in the mood for it far more often.

Most recently I've been perusing the performances of the Borodin Quartet. Yesterday, it was their recording of Haydn's String Quartets op. 33. Today, its a 60th-anniversary disc with performances of quartets by their name-sake, Alexander Borodin, as well as works by Tchaikovski, Rachmaninov, Schubert, and Webern.

I am, in a general sort of way, not too fond of string quartets. Without a piano, the sound strikes me as somehow "dry." Though I have run into some that I liked, e.g. the two by Borodin, some of Schubert's, and the famous "American" one by Dvorak.
  #141   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Back to my favorite classical music genre: vocal music... today specifically choral music. I began the evening with a disc of Vivaldi's music performed by
Jakub Burzyński - countertenor, conductor and La tempesta/early music ensemble. The disc, entitled "Vespers of Sorrow" includes the truly marvelous Nisi Dominus, RV 608. I find Burzyński's performance of the section Cum dederit dilectis suis to be my favorite... although Philippe Jaroussky's performance is also essential.

https://youtu.be/ceazCccMvzI

Now I'm listening to selections from the Eton Choirbook performed by The Sixteen conducted by Harry Christophers. The Eton Choirbook is a richly illuminated manuscript collection of English sacred music composed during the late 15th century. It was one of very few collections of Latin liturgical music to survive the Reformation. It originally contained music by 24 different composers including John Browne, Richard Davy, Edmund Turges, William Cornysh junior and senior, Robert Fayrfax and Walter Lambe. There have been more than a few critics who suggested that England was rather lacking in the realm of music (prior to the late 19th/20th century) so much so that the poetry of the nation has frequently been referred to as "English Music". The reality is that England produced a wealth of choral music before and into the Baroque era. This tradition had such an impact that it carried on over into later British music from Handel and Haydn's oratorios through the choral efforts of Benjamin Britten and beyond.

I suspect, Brian would quite like this music... although admittedly, when it comes to early choral music I prefer the even more esoteric efforts of Dufay, Monteverdi, and Gesualdo.
  #142   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2019, 01:18 AM
A WC! Legend
Kansas City, Missori

Hails from United States

John Tavener.

Kate Bush.

David Bowie.

Elvis Costello.

Robert Plant.

Frederica Von Stade.
  #143   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2019, 01:29 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
I suspect, Brian would quite like this music... although admittedly, when it comes to early choral music I prefer the even more esoteric efforts of Dufay, Monteverdi, and Gesualdo.

I do indeed like Renaissance choral music. Not very familiar with Dufay or Monteverdi, mind you, but I'm a big fan of Gesualdo. Of his music, that is, rather than his personal behaviour.
  #144   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2019, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

I was going to say "Sting: Book of my Life" because I woke up at midnight with this playing in my mind.

I think that autobiographies are usually written when one is done with life, and as I officially turn into "an old lady" I am just starting the best time of a life that has been filled with good fortune and adventure. So I'm rather unwillingly writing my autobiography at the request of my daughter right now, and this song is particularly apt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI8toRERrG0

However, as it's my first time here, I'm assuming that this thread requests what we are listening to now?

So I have to change my plans.

As a result of a pure co-incididence, when looking up the origin of the term "Throne Room" when I was starting a new thread at the Café, I noticed a song on Youtube of the same name that I'd never heard of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Ljl32SqRc

As my very lucky life has always been signposted by co-incidences, I listened to it, and then listened to it again - each time sobbing so loudly that my poor pup, sleeping beside me on the sofa, woke up and wondered what on earth I was doing!

I literally can't say why I found it so beautiful and relevent to my life, as although I'm not religious, I'm assuming that no talk of religion or politics is allowed at the Café, and I have no need to debate the topic, so will not explain further.

I was married for eighteen years to a professional musician. We are now close friends, and although he was hardly the silent type himself, he still quotes that old cliché about "letting the music speak for you".

If only I could learn the art! He's probably still trying to get me to speak less and do more, but I "do" plenty these days, being able to use my mouth and my hands at the same time.....and how much can I actually 'say' when I only play the Bodhrán
  #145   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Speaking about beautiful moving religious music that can make one cry...... and a thought proking video. Can almost get me to go to church.

Jars of Clay - Frail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoyNYBKOhJA

And a recent star Maggie Rogers, and a good antidote vid for the one above, will make you smile, wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVLDxmjeyVo

Last edited by john : 01-19-2019 at 01:11 PM.
  #146   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2019, 01:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I do indeed like Renaissance choral music. Not very familiar with Dufay or Monteverdi, mind you, but I'm a big fan of Gesualdo. Of his music, that is, rather than his personal behaviour.

We’ll certainly Gesualdo’s personal behavior was far from admirable... but in a culture that worships the “cult of personality” can you think of an artist with a greater biography.

A lot of the strength of Gesualdo’s work lies with his pushing chromaticism to the limit until we almost get something of Wagner or Richard Strauss... or even the atonality of Schoenberg/Berg/Webern. If you like Gesualdo, try Monteverdi’s late madrigals... the last two books especially. Then try Guillaume Dufay’s Isorythmic Motets that employ mathematical structures beyond any of Schoenberg’s 10-Tone System works.
  #147   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2019, 08:00 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I gave this disc of Dufay's music another listen today:

Its a very fine collection/performance, although my favorite remains the disc, O Gemma Lux by Paul van Nevel and the Huelgas Ensemble:

For a while the recording attained something of a mythic quality as it was reputed to be the finest recording of Dufay's music... and yet had gone out of print. I remember wanting to pick up a new copy and finding that it was selling for hundreds of dollars on Amazon. Last I looked it was again in print again.
  #148   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2019, 11:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Kansas City, Missori

Hails from United States

Quote:

We’ll certainly Gesualdo’s personal behavior was far from admirable... but in a culture that worships the “cult of personality” can you think of an artist with a greater biography.

A lot of the strength of Gesualdo’s work lies with his pushing chromaticism to the limit until we almost get something of Wagner or Richard Strauss... or even the atonality of Schoenberg/Berg/Webern. If you like Gesualdo, try Monteverdi’s late madrigals... the last two books especially. Then try Guillaume Dufay’s Isorythmic Motets that employ mathematical structures beyond any of Schoenberg’s 10-Tone System works.

And then you'll be ready for King Crimson.
  #149   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2019, 12:24 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:

The modern tonal system had not yet become firmly established at the time, which might have been part of what gave them such freedom to experiment. I have actually long been curious to know what kind of music theory they learned...
  #150   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2019, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Feargal Sharkey. This one right now because I'm feeling sad on behalf of a someone I've just met. Will be followed by the next one to get me out of my blues, because I have always loved the way he sings with such feel, and they also evoke other memories of a City that I still love.

Spent many years from the age of 15 - 19 in Belfast during The Troubles.

Used to work seasons in Sark, then back to work in the Civil Service in Belfast for the other half of each year.

Ran away from school on Guernsey and used my saved pocket money to get on a ferry, then hitched through England and Scotland from Café to Café with lorry drivers all the way up to Stranraer to get another ferry to Larne, then hitched down to Belfast.

Wanted to know where all the Northern Irish seasonal workers in Guernsey were made. Such amazing men! Half-Celt myself, I was so comfortable with them as they showed all their emotions - laughed, cried, lived and loved to the limit! Still adore Belfast guys, even though I later married a professional musician from Limerick.

I had no money, and was looking for "a place to crash". First man I met in the street on Belfast, by sheer chance, was a young Terri Hooley who gave me shelter in his home, and found me a job selling music mags in the pubs out of sheer kindness and compassion. A lovely human being.

No idea then what he was going to become.

He introduced me to lots of musicians. I moved to The Ormeau Road, then The Shankill, then Atlantic Avenue off the Falls Road, staying with new friends and lovers on both sides of The Divide.

It was the start of a life full of excitement, music and meeting with the most extraordinary people. Now I'm 64, and the magic isn't slowing down, but seems to be accelerating. Only my ageing body breaking down from sheer over-use, and is stopping me from going on all the adventures on offer now. But maybe it's some higher power telling me to "Slow Down "Fer F***'s Sake!" as they used to say in that interesting little 'Club' near "The Long Bar". My first Belfast lover, a freelance assassin, used to park me there with the daughter of the Boss Man to 'mind', me when he was out on jobs....and I was only sixteen then!

Terri and I lost touch when I moved on. I just looked him up on Wiki, and see he's still alive. Must write to him to thank him for his kindness, and let him know that I never forgot it.

Have just seen that Amazon Prime are offering "Good Vibrations" for rent. Always meant to watch it. Will do so with DD this afternoon as we enjoy cuddling up on the sofa to watch films, and she, like I do, loves music as if it were food and drink :-)

She's also always pestering me to write The Belfast Stories down, so she'll love this film

Best version I've ever heard of this song. For all the men I knew who died young and tragically, because it sings of loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFZhC7fgkCA

And now a song about another kind of loss

You can keep all those pretty-boy musicians. What he feels inside as he sings this song shines through his skin bright enough to burn, and transforms him into someone achingly beautiful and desireable of face and body!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS4ALgm6Rsc