WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Lord of the Arts

Uniqueness

As an artist viewing other art is the uniqueness of the artwork considered
when you are determining the quality of the piece?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 03:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Uniqueness

Yes, absolutely! I can't count the times that I have stood in front of a piece of someone's art, admiring the uniqueness of it, and thinking to myself, "I could have easily painted that piece, but it was HE who thought of the idea!"
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:48 PM
Lord of the Arts

I don't know if uniqueness is the word that I would choose, but definitely I look for something of the artist's hand in the piece. Something that says it is by that artist and no other. When I look at a Tiom Thomson landscape I know immediately it is his. A VanGogh is unmistakable. It may be a common subject, but if it has the stamp of individuality I rate it better.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 10:55 AM
Lord of the Arts

I agree. I think it could have the opposite effect to. The uniqueness
could turn someone off also.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
I agree. I think it could have the opposite effect to. The uniqueness
could turn someone off also.

I think this is more common than we like to believe.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 08:38 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

uniqueness is mandatory for developing, for overcoming stagnation

is it sometimes overdone? certainly, but i wouldn't change that for fear of losing the ones done perfectly.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)

Last edited by La_ : 11-04-2019 at 08:40 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 09:13 PM
Lord of the Arts

I'm just thinking about how uniqueness is acquired.
How does this sound?
Uniqueness comes about by experimenting and is refined by repetition.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2019, 09:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

I think it depends. The search for novelty soon becomes cliche as well. Another (roll eyes) attempt at Picassoism. Taste shifts, from right to left like a see-saw. From what I have seen, the artist who becomes "known" for what he/she does has to stick with that or the perish down the long tube of irrelevancy, It is better to be "known" for something that you have some control over.

My own history is that I wanted to do a certain type of art, I devoted myself to it, started Art school, and just as I did, some of the weirdest stages in Modern art hit, (Minimalism, conceptual art) I dropped out of Art School because to me they were juvenile pretentiousness, and not "real art".

The first hour of minimalism was creative. Then the academics took it over. (The only way to do this art is to have a huge institution involved-- where is the door? Where is the room? It is in a big government-funded building.) I would rather make kitch. Kitch is more creative. I love Frazetta, and monsters, and cowboys. I love dinosaurs. Why is walking into an empty room in any way evocative of the human mind? It all boils down to what is art? That Question: What is it? What is it for? Who cares? Why do I care? Why do I do it? I will turn 60 in 2 days. I was going to jump down a cliff at 30. I could not imagine living till 30, and here I am at 60.

The best part of being as old as I am? I can see that people are parrots. They ask the same questions and think the same thoughts as people in the 70's the 60's the 50's and earlier. I do not believe that "creativity" actually exists. It only exists for people who have not experienced it yet. Old people like me have seen it so many times.

Where I started: What is art?

Last edited by Use Her Name : 11-04-2019 at 09:33 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2019, 11:23 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Quote:
How does this sound?

Personal uniqueness comes as you say here ^

Public uniqueness is a whole different beast - somebody, many somebodies have probably already produced what one individual is just now discovering/experimenting with.

To find something truly unique and also desirable, in the public arena ... is very difficult, highly improbable and dare i say, nearly impossible.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)

Last edited by La_ : 11-05-2019 at 11:24 AM. Reason: space invadors
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use Her Name
I think it depends. The search for novelty soon becomes cliche as well. Another (roll eyes) attempt at Picassoism. Taste shifts, from right to left like a see-saw. From what I have seen, the artist who becomes "known" for what he/she does has to stick with that or the perish down the long tube of irrelevancy, It is better to be "known" for something that you have some control over.

My own history is that I wanted to do a certain type of art, I devoted myself to it, started Art school, and just as I did, some of the weirdest stages in Modern art hit, (Minimalism, conceptual art) I dropped out of Art School because to me they were juvenile pretentiousness, and not "real art".

The first hour of minimalism was creative. Then the academics took it over. (The only way to do this art is to have a huge institution involved-- where is the door? Where is the room? It is in a big government-funded building.) I would rather make kitch. Kitch is more creative. I love Frazetta, and monsters, and cowboys. I love dinosaurs. Why is walking into an empty room in any way evocative of the human mind? It all boils down to what is art? That Question: What is it? What is it for? Who cares? Why do I care? Why do I do it? I will turn 60 in 2 days. I was going to jump down a cliff at 30. I could not imagine living till 30, and here I am at 60.

The best part of being as old as I am? I can see that people are parrots. They ask the same questions and think the same thoughts as people in the 70's the 60's the 50's and earlier. I do not believe that "creativity" actually exists. It only exists for people who have not experienced it yet. Old people like me have seen it so many times.

Where I started: What is art?

Bold mine. You're losing me here.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
Personal uniqueness comes as you say here ^

Public uniqueness is a whole different beast - somebody, many somebodies have probably already produced what one individual is just now discovering/experimenting with.

To find something truly unique and also desirable, in the public arena ... is very difficult, highly improbable and dare i say, nearly impossible.

la

Thanks, I understand.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2019, 03:09 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
How does this sound?

Uniqueness for its own sake is a false lead. Be truthful and let your vision of the world evolve. Uniqueness will come if you do.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2019, 04:01 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnPassant
Be truthful and let your vision of the world evolve.
I don't think about that when I am painting. I think about color, composition,
value,accuracy, harmony etc.
I really don't know what that means.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2019, 05:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Myself, I did some work that was modestly original. Good enough for me.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
Myself, I did some work that was modestly original. Good enough for me.

Uniqueness is not of great importance to me when I paint.
If any of my stuff was unique it was by accident.
But I do admire that aspect of art.