WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2001, 12:08 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Question CP on black

I hadn't realized we have a coloured pencil forum now! I'm so excited!! (hop hop) I found out we have this forum AFTER I posted a question in "Drawing and Sketching." So, I'll repost here since it has to do with CP.

This is probably a silly and blatantly-uneducated question, but I admit I'm an art newbie. I finally got some black card paper and some brand new coloured pencils that are just itching to be used, but I want to make sure I use them wisely. Since it is a four hour drive for me to get replacement black card paper, I want to eliminate as many stupid mistakes as I can....before I even start.

So, here's my question. When I come to the part in my drawing that is black, do I let the paper show through to represent the black areas? Or, do you use the black coloured pencil so its shine blends with the shine of the other colors rather than have the flatness of the paper grain stick out? I.E. -- If I decide to do a snow leopard that has a little black on him, do I leave the paper untouched in those spots of his fur (kind of like leaving the white for the white in a watercolor painting)?

Wise artisans out there, I need some advise please.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2001, 12:50 AM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
actually it's quite an intelligent question.

and the answer is either way...lol...it depends on the look you're going for. how's that for ducking the question?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2001, 04:00 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Tan Valley, Arizona

Hails from United States
Oh Arlene you did that so well!!!!!

Yogi what Arlene says is true - it depends on how you want the finished piece to look. Ahh, but if you let the paper show thru for your black, you may need to add reflective colors to the darks or they may look a bit "flat" to you. Like on a black nose - outside you have reflective blues (from the sky) along with your highlighs. Hope that helps.

Does this mean you'll be posting for us soon??? Can't wait to see. What kind of pencils did you decide on??

pencils4me
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2001, 01:41 PM
A Local Legend
Indiana

Hails from United States
I have not yet worked on black paper yet, however through trial and error I have learned that black is not always black, and a "black" is always made more interesting by adding other colors to it. Black, Tuscan Red, and Indigo Blue are much more interesting to see than just black.

Hmmmm, can't wait for the black paper guru to come in and answer this one...TeAnne, where are youuuuuuuuuu???

Looking forward to your work, Yogi...

Ivy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2001, 07:08 PM
A Local Legend
"Fraggle Rock" Virginia

Hails from United States
Glad you asked .
I have never used black paper either and am totally clueless.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2001, 07:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivyleaf
I have not yet worked on black paper yet, however through trial and error I have learned that black is not always black, and a "black" is always made more interesting by adding other colors to it. Black, Tuscan Red, and Indigo Blue are much more interesting to see than just black.

Hmmmm, can't wait for the black paper guru to come in and answer this one...TeAnne, where are youuuuuuuuuu???

Looking forward to your work, Yogi...

Ivy
Good morning everyone. Well to answer the question. I feel it is a matter of personal choice. Where there is huge amount of black area, I just leave it. As with this commission I did , I just picked out the highlites and concentrated on them. My friend didn't object

With the tiger, same thing. It's up to you yogi, you may want to use another colour. It dosn't really matter, you have a right to use your artistic licence
Good luck and I can't wait to see your work either.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2001, 12:44 AM
Enthusiast
N. Calif

Hails from United States
Hi Yogi!

I was going to try a white horse on blue/gray paper with a white drawing pencil, leaving the paper as the shading. Haven't tried it yet tho. But I've tried a white horse on white--can't see the white pencil at all, almost useless. Be sure you get a good "black" paper.

Shirl
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2001, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Smile What a helpful bunch!

Hello, creators!

Shirl -- I hope you try the white horse on black. It would be striking indeed. I'm picturing a night scene with a rearing white stallion at this very moment!

TeAnne -- You use your artistic license skillfully. The dog and tiger look great, and I cannot even tell there are no pencil marks in the black. That answers a lot of questions for me. Thank you. I'm still trying to decide on a subject for practice on the black card paper I got. Am leaning heavily toward a white lion. We'll see.

Ivyleaf -- Added color to black can make for an intriguing eye-pleaser. I'm not sure I'm that brave for this first one, but I might just go wild with my new pencils!

pencils4me -- I'd wondered about the lack of reflectiveness in the black if not gone over with black colored pencil. Will have to experiment. On the pencils, I went for the medium price range pencils at Menninger's (Denver, CO, USA) -- "Germany STAEDTLER KARAT 124" at $1.99 apiece. Of course, not 30 minutes later, I went to Office Max for other things and found out they have an art section with less expensive materials. (sigh)

leaflin -- Hope you try black. It seems kind of like an adventure.

arlene -- Yes, you duck with finesse! (wink)

Thank you, everyone, for all of your helpful input. Now, we'll see what my brain dreams up for a subject. Could get scary!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2001, 09:59 PM
New Bern, North Carolina

Hails from United States
Talking

Hi all!!!!!!!! Maybe you'd like to run over to my colored pencil underpainting for a portrait and take a look. On Tuesday I will be posting the finished color portrait. I usually lay down a white underpainting when working on black then work from light to dark with my colors. I have a pretty light hand so usually don't do burnishing. Haven't tried the watercolor colored pencils on black yet, think that's is where I am headed for the rest of the evening! See ya' all later!!!!!!!!!!!!
Helen