Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Blue rose (WIP?)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    flug

I managed to gather up some confidence to paint something..
        I also wanted to test the ground I painted it on.. Hardboard? Fiberboard? with two layers of diy clear gesso.. I don’t feel it has enough grip for the van gogh oil pastels.. I wanted more layers :angel:

(I don’t like the center of the rose too much and I am not really happy with the background.. but I do like the outer rose petals :D )

For now I am waiting for it to “dry”..

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions :) :clap:

Anyway.. Van Gogh oil pastels on A4 size hardboard..

C&C is always welcome!

Lovely, Flug! Your rose is very surreal with the added background.
        My suggestion is to add more contrast and value: Dark blue to the insides of the rose, darken the brown background, lighten the little flowers and add more red. Here I used gimp to try and illustrate my idea

Christel

Rich A

Wonderful start Flug. I love your color combination here as it’s very eye pleasing. I think Christel makes a good suggestion to increase contrast and deepen the colors.

If your having difficulty getting more layers down, you could use a workable fixative. Spray the area that has become problematic , wait 10 minutes then continue.

terriks

This is beautiful, flug! I love your blue rose against that brown. A little more contrast in that brown, as Christel suggests, will really make that blue pop.

Rich’s suggestion about using workable fixative spray is spot on. It’s fast and easy, works great to give you just that extra “tooth” in your OP’s for another layer or two. :)

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

laika

Wow, I like this! I can only agree about punching up the contrast. Very nice!

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                    - Otto Rank

flug

Thank you so much for all of your kind comments and suggestions, Christel, Rich, Terri and Lamar!

I don’t have a workable fixative.. maybe I do need to get one, so I finally dared to use the Sennelier I got for the improvements.. I wish I had more dark colors.. At the moment I feel the background is kind of patchy though it might be adding some interest..
                        Would I have to add more oil pastel to avoid the patchiness? My “technique” thus far has been adding some oil pastel and then smudging it around with my fingers ^^

What I have found out though is that my cats love to sit on the painting and the Sennelier love to grab onto cat hair O.O :cat:

C&C is always welcome!

SarahY

Unusual and very beautiful, well done!

My “technique” thus far has been adding some oil pastel and then smudging it around with my fingers

That exact technique I use!

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                            \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                            Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Mira

flug, this is beautiful! :clap: looks very elegant and eye-catching. The palette adds to the atmosphere :thumbsup:

You have Mungyos, right? I’d suggest to wrap the painting in a cellophane bag, put it in the fridge for a while so that the layers harden, then add another layer of darker Mungyos on the top (you might need to scrape the Senns off first). Mungyos are all opaque (solves the problem of patchiness) and one layer will be enough to add to the contrast :)

Looking forward to your finished painting! Btw, the center of the rose looks great too ;)

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

flug

Thank you Mira and SarahY! :)
                                    No I don’t have Mungyos.. I have Sennelier and van Gogh..

In between being sick, work and being sabotaged by the cats I call the present image finished for now.. I did learn a few things..

Things I learned..

Oil pastel attract cat hair like a magnet.. and the Sennelier can be smudged by cat paws..
                                    Unfortunately the trick with the fixative did not work for me.. though I do not own one that says workable.. The final one I used by koh i noor peeled off at certain places when I tried to smudge..
                                    I like the van Gogh oil pastel as they lay down nicely and can be smudged around but they have a limited ability of layering at least on gessoed board.. More than three layers is almost impossible.. but they are nice and cheap and claim good lightfastness.. If looking at the price per kg they are even cheaper than the pentels ^^

The picture has been sealed with the talens oil pastel varnish..

C&C is always welcome!

SarahY

LOVING the touches of red in the blue rose! :clap:

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                                        \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                                        Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Lovely! I also like that you brought some red into the flowers too.

Christel

MsGnomer

Love this – and love the finished work (cat hairs and all – I note dog hairs are a similar problem :))). The background looks great darkened and simplified a bit, tonally.
                                            I use fingers too…they’re very handy (no pun intended) and do the job!

terriks

Great finish to this piece, flug. I like that you strengthened the red in the rose, it was hinted at in your first post but deepening it really adds punch. The deepened background adds good contrast. :thumbsup:

Love this palette! Sorry about the cat hair (I have two who love to *help* me paint!). What would we do without our critters.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.