Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery Apple branch, for a Milton fan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    othersashas

Sennelier, M. Graham, and Winsor & Newton Artists’ Grade watercolors on a 14in-by-20in Arches cold-pressed block, 140lb/300gsm. Based on a stock image floating around the Internet. A challenge through and through.

After years of endlessly gazing at vintage books of botanical illustration, this December I decided (quite recklessly) to make my own. I haven’t painted in maybe five years, and even then I was doing B&W and impressionistic portraits. Botanical illustration has had me reading up on color, among others. WetCanvas has been an amazing resource, and not a day has passed since I discovered this site that I didn’t come here for a visit. Odd to start a painting as one kind of painter, and to end it as another. That is: Because this took around two to three weeks for me to do, and was made in tandem with me studying pigments and applications and paper weights and brush gliding and so on and so on, it really does feel like I made the first leaf one way and the last leaf a completely different way. (Should explain why the leaves may not look like they belong to one plant, haha.) It was fascinating to so actively learn as I go along, even if it was daunting in such a big piece (my biggest yet!), and I’m excited to move on to a new painting and start figuring things out all over again.

My apologies for such a wordy description; I think I’m trying to cram in it my gratitude for this community, too, as well as an introduction. This has only been my third post, and that’s after weeks of reading threads to “100 pages back” and rereading quite a lot of them. Thank you, everyone, and Happy New Year!

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Sasha

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"What is beauty without a chorus, without the whispers, the sighs, the murmurs? But who knows better than the Cavaliere what beauty is, beauty into which one falls. I am cut, I am felled. I fall, cover me with your mouth." — From The Volcano Lover by Susan Sontag. \\ Regularly getting into all sorts of artmess on Instagram!

jscottb

That is a remarkable work. Well done.

KiwiKate

Very beautiful! And I love the background you gave us. Welcome to Wet Canvas and the watercolor forum!

Kate
                Henderson, Nevada
                C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

Monastic Bat

Congratulations, both beautiful and stunning. I am looking forward to seeing many more of your botanical paintings.
                    Regards,
                    Greg

[FONT=Century Gothic]So when is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in??? :lol:

sjs

This is amazing! Your dedication has most certainly paid off. What a fantastic first post! Your leaves, in particular are absolutely stunning – and they are far from easy to do. You realise, you have set an impossibly high standard now in the Watercolour Gallery! Most of us can only imagine what it would be like to paint this well!! Welcome! Looking forward to your next post :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sarah

' In the depths of winter I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer ' Albert Camus

ErnstG

Excellent work – very realistic!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                            Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                            Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

Outstanding work. Welcome to the forum.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

artsy_lissa

Great story. Fabulous work… Be proud – and do more! :) ;)

Colour is my day-long obsession, joy and torment. ~ Claude Monet[/SIZE]
                                [/SIZE]

Welcome to the Watercolor Forum, othersashas.

I found your story of how you worked on this lovely painting and learned about color theory and other components required for working in our medium very interesting.

This is beautifully painted — I especially like the texture in the bark and the way you showed front and back on the leaves by curling them and the start of decay on the apples.

Sylvia

hoylander

Welcome to watercolour gallery! :) A very beautiful painting! Wonderful detail, colour and composition, and I loved reading about your ‘learning’ process.:clap:

Joan :wave:
                                    oldmink

Most excellent.

:wave: :thumbsup: :wave:

Glenn Koons

Super realistic, it looks excellent. It would be great to see more of your work.

Esther

adefrisk

Realism at its best. I look forward to seeing more.:)

Aaron.

Frankemartin

Fabulous! This is amazing work

Meimei

Welcome. Wonderful work.

Those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of goodness" - James.

Thanks for your critiques and comments.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.