WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#361   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2014, 01:50 AM
Uden Noord Brabant The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Re: Calligraphy Online Tutorials

Salman
Thank you for your time the correction advice and for setting the Homework

Which I,ll practice this week

Kind Regards Mike

Respect
  #362   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2014, 08:40 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Hallo Salman'

Have attempted the Homework you set and have exercises done in relation to the Letters and words
Completed work Set
Would appreciate your thoughts please

Kind Regards Mike
Attached Images

Respect
  #363   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Mike - thank you for uploading the larger sized partials. They show things much more clearly.

One of the things that jumps out immediately is the nib angle (again!). Look at the E in MAZE in the last picture. The cross strokes are much thicker than the vertical stroke - suggesting a nib angle closer to 60 degrees rather than the prescribed 30 degrees. I strongly suggest you work on getting the basics right before moving on.

Now that you have had some experience, revisiting the first lesson is a good idea. Only this time, I expect the results to be as good as Geoff's exemplars. Can you take on this challenge?

The goal is to do the exercises as if this is the first time you are seeing them. Doing the groups of 5 and marking the good ones is something I do all the time - it helps develop the eye (which in some ways is more important than the hand skills) and you learn to make good letters consistently. I think you will find yourself much better this time around but please don't breeze through them.

It might help printing out the examples Geoff uploaded and comparing them to your work. Upload your results when you can't see any difference.

Another note on your ink/paper combination. The edges of your letters are not sharp - this is mostly due to the ink and paper combination not being optimal. A good way to get sharp lines is to lightly dust your paper with Gum Sandarac - that can be a pain to procure and do for exercises but it is worth it. It is much easier to try out different paper and ink combinations. What works for me might not work for you for any number of reasons but it is worthwhile to experiment and get things working consistently.

I will be looking forward to seeing your work in a couple of days. Please upload the larger images of the words only - not the whole exercise.

Regards,
Salman

My Blog
  #364   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2014, 03:56 PM

Hails from Netherlands

[quote=salman.khattak]Mike - thank you for uploading the larger sized partials. They show things much more clearly.

One of the things that jumps out immediately is the nib angle (again!). Look at the E in MAZE in the last picture. The cross strokes are much thicker than the vertical stroke - suggesting a nib angle closer to 60 degrees rather than the prescribed 30 degrees. I strongly suggest you work on getting the basics right before moving on.

Now that you have had some experience, revisiting the first lesson is a good idea. Only this time, I expect the results to be as good as Geoff's exemplars. Can you take on this challenge?

The goal is to do the exercises as if this is the first time you are seeing them. Doing the groups of 5 and marking the good ones is something I do all the time - it helps develop the eye (which in some ways is more important than the hand skills) and you learn to make good letters consistently. I think you will find yourself much better this time around but please don't breeze through them.

It might help printing out the examples Geoff uploaded and comparing them to your work. Upload your results when you can't see any difference.

Another note on your ink/paper combination. The edges of your letters are not sharp - this is mostly due to the ink and paper combination not being optimal. A good way to get sharp lines is to lightly dust your paper with Gum Sandarac - that can be a pain to procure and do for exercises but it is worth it. It is much easier to try out different paper and ink combinations. What works for me might not work for you for any number of reasons but it is worthwhile to experiment and get things working consistently.

I will be looking forward to seeing your work in a couple of days. Please upload the larger images of the words only - not the whole exercise.

Regards,
Salman[/QUOTE

Hi Salman

I,ve printed out Geoff 1st lesson to practice and your observations

Have purchased Pelican Calligraphy inkthis morning to replace Talens Drawing ink

Replaced Printing Paper with Calligraphy paper for the new Exercises

Thanks for the constructive comments at 70 years age can only try to

proceed in the right direction with your guidance .......will certainly not be beaten.........

Kind Regards Mike
Attached Images

Respect

Last edited by Dutchpen : 04-14-2014 at 04:14 PM.
  #365   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Salman

Have completed 3x 3/4 hours exercise periods using the dip pen and peilcan calligraphy ink.....niether are working for me Sorry!!

Im returning to my Cartridge Calligraphy pen much better letter formation

Will post Exercise when Ive completed letter exercises from lessson 1

mike

Respect
  #366   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2014, 07:32 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Salman

Good Afternoon

Íve managed to complete the task set ie:Lesson One Re-Visted

To me personally I think its a vast improvement....... I did use my Cartridge Calligraphy pen with much more confidence and control than the Dip pen
again I think this shows

I await your comments now with interest and hopefully can continue to use my Cartridge Pen
[ Your thoughts please ]

Kind Regards Mike
Attached Images

Respect
  #367   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Salman, please forgive me for butting in — it won't be a habit, I promise.
Mike, I want you to look closely at the bottom panel, using ILL and FILL. Compare the widths of the vertical strokes against the horizontal strokes. What do you notice?

If you said that the horizontals are thicker than the verticals, you are quite correct. Why do you think this is happening? Don't read any further until you really think you have hit on the answer.

Now I want you to do an experiment on a scarp piece of paper. Place the paper in your usual writing spot Draw a line up from the centre to 12 o'clock, then another from the centre to 3 o'clock. Come back to the centre and draw the 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock lines.

Place the square edge of your dry (no ink) pen fitting perfectly on the 2 o'clock line. Keep it there.

Now take very careful note of where the handle of the pen is pointing. Is it pointing straight up your forearm, or just outside the shoulder, or towards your armpit, or where? Be very precise in noting its direction.

Move your pen away from the "clock hands" but still keep the handle pointing in the direction you noted.

Now comes the hard part! Move your pen to dip into the ink and come back to where it was just a moment ago. CHECK THE HANDLE'S DIRECTION. Make the letter L . How did the vertical compare with the horizontal?

Move away the scrap of paper and use your ruled up piece. Check the handle direction and when it is precisely correct make an L , then 4 more making certain that the handle is pointing correctly.

Look at those 5 letters and put a tick under every one that has a slightly thicker vertical than horizontal. Now, check your pen handle and write another 5, trying to make more of them like those successful ones in the first group. Put a tick under all the successful ones.

If you have put a tick under at least 4 of them, check your pen handle and try the letter E in a group of 5 Again use the ticks to note and improve. Write at least 3 groups evaluating your control of the strokes each time'

Every time when you are trying a new letter do those two things — check the direction of the pen handle and write and evaluate 3 groups of 5. Even after years and years of writing calligraphy, I still used those groups of five until I could competently make every one of them identically correct. It was the only way that I could improve and maintain my skill. It is something that introduces the discipline and then the eventual freedom that makes Calligraphy such a joy to do.

We will achieve your pen-angle accuracy and consistency in quite quick time.

Geoff