WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 12:24 AM
Enthusiast
Comfort,Texas

Re: Colored Matboard

Thanks Maria, thats helpful, I saw some really nice ones the other day but had no idea of their age,,,
Pa paw,, you might add a separating sheet of acid free drawing paper between your art and the mats as a little extra protection ? just a thought
2nd rule,turn off the TV
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 PM

Kaylen, if they're at a garage sale or in a thrift store, I guess I always figure they're old enough to show the core change (or not). I've found a few great ones, but not many.

Maria
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast
Lake Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

The mats that I am not reserving for matting can in some cases be used for the back board.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Lord of the Arts

The white side of mat boards can also be used for painting in watercolors. it is a different sort of surface to paper but it can be fun. It could also be gessoed and used for oils or acrylics.

Was just at a small (33 artists) Plein Air show. Black, gold, or black and gold frame predominated, and all white mats.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast
Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

You have some great answers already, John. I suspect you'll have to ultimately decide what you feel works best for you.

I believe colored mats (usually double mats with two different colors) and a coordinating frame enhance my paintings. I've received suggestions to frame paintings for shows in simple, thin black metal frames with white mats for a uniform appearance for all my paintings. However, while that strategy makes sense in theory, it just doesn't help show off the colors and subjects well enough for my taste.

As for mat size, I believe there are "typical" mat widths for certain size frames. A fairly standard single mat that fits an 11x14" frame measures 2 3/4" wide on the sides and 1 3/4" wide on the top/bottom (landscape orientation). I'll reduce those by 3/8" for the outer (larger) mat when double matting, allowing that 3/8" to be an accent color in the painting as below:

I could have chosen many options for the mat & frame. Regardless, if that painting were in a white mat, I just don't think it would look as good.

Let us know what you find works for your paintings. Would be great to see some!

Cheers!
Frank