Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Horse sculptures

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    equinespirit

Hi all
        Just finished a few horse sculptures, the first four are clay and the last is cold cast bronze resin.
        I also make them with horsehair fired on which gives interesting results.
        It took me a while to find a method of painting that I was happy with, I started out with glazes but didn’t like those at all so ended up working in my beloved oils.
        Any feedback appreciated :wave:

jonc50

Is the fired horsehair buried in the project or are they on the surface of the project?
            What is the size?
            Very nice work!

equinespirit

Thanks very much Jon :)
                The horsehair is fired on after bisque firing.
                They are between 9″ and 11″ high.

ArtsyLynda

Beautiful work! I love the horsehair burnt into the sculpture – I have some (purchased) pieces like that. If I had a kiln, I’d try it myself.

I have a suggestion, since you said “C&C appreciated.” The Arabian’s head is dropped so low, he’s looking at the ground. I know that sculptures in water-based clay can sag while drying. When I was doing water-based clay (many years ago), I learned that I could make a column of clay and put it underneath parts I didn’t want to sag (in my case, two columns, one each under the front legs of a rearing pony). If the clay isn’t blended with the clay of the sculpture, it won’t stick to it. Keeping the column in place until the sculpture is almost leather-hard will keep the head more upright and you can still repair the part that was leaning on the column at that stage if it needs repair. (Rubbing with the back of a spoon was all I needed to do for my pony’s front hooves.)

This was my 3rd or 4th sculpture after I started sculpting at age 43. The pony is rearing because he’s noticed a prairie dog at the right edge of the picture. Sorry I didn’t think to dust the glass of the display case before taking the picture!

You do beautiful work! I hope my suggestion is helpful.

it’sALLart

Very nice work, especially the white one. C&C: Just an opinion, but I think them being one solid color (to my eye) looks better than having multi or realistic colors. With one color, it’s somehow more “pure” to me as an art form and lets me study the modeling/carving rather than viewing it as a “painting”.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.