WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Re: how many people teach adults?

Adult education here. Nice to meet everyone.
I teach graphic design and fine art.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Mystic, CT

Hails from United States

I teach "true beginner" adult drawing. Sometimes I've had a student as young as 11, but thats the exception.

I have been pretty successful teaching adults, and have had many repeat students. What, specifically, are you asking about teaching adults? Is there something specific you want to know?

I use "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards as a good basis for my classes. It is very user friendly and the concepts are easy to grasp for anyone.

The key, I think, to any successful teaching, is to provide an encouraging, supportive and non-competitive atmosphere in the classroom. These are usually people who are very tentative about their skill level, but truly want to learn to draw and need to feel that it's okay to be at a low level. I try not to mix advanced students with beginners, as this is usually intimidating for the beginner when they see someone with more skill than they have, and it's discouraging for them.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2006, 01:45 AM
Pocahontas, AR

Hails from United States

Hi! I haven't been on WC in ages, but looking forward to getting active again. I teach ages 10 and up in watercolor, acrylic and drawing. I have my own studio/gallery in my little town here in Pocahontas, AR...Just opened the business, but doing well. I've been teaching for a few years now, mainly in watercolor. I DO prefer adults, although I have to admit that one of my young kids puts some of my adults to shame with her retention of the lessons I provide. She's actually one of only a few who have learned to use and actually does use her color wheel! LOL

My teaching technique is to start at the beginning with the very basics, and move on up the ladder...I cover such things as the primary differences between the properties and usage of the different mediums and basic color techniques, right on up to perspective and advanced composition.

I believe my students learn more when I allow them to be as creative as possible...I give them the freedom to decide for themselves if a leaf should be green or black and white polka dots. I really encourage them to develop their artistic eye to see the purple in the trees and the reds in the ocean and then to use that sight to creatively express the "story" they are trying to convey through their paintings. I have found that my students are more open to learning the technical aspects of painting when the creative aspects are the main focus.

When we select or compose a subject to paint, we've done so for a reason. The subject has evoked some kind of emotion within us...I believe that as artists, our job is to portray our subjects in such a way that our viewers will have an emotional experience through our work. It may not be the same emotion we experienced when we chose our subject matter, but through creative expression, our artwork should "stir" something within the people who see them.

"Remembering Mama" 2007 "OleCC" Carol C. Campbell, 1932-2006
My website: http://www.artsyangelsgallery.com
Would love my fellow WCers to sign my guestbook!!

Last edited by ArtsyAngel : 12-19-2006 at 02:08 AM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2006, 08:31 PM
San Jose, CA

Hails from United States
Teaching Adults WC

Hi,

New to the group and found this old thread. If anyone is still reading it, I also teach adult classes at a local art store. I teach a weekly watercolor class for beginners and I they pay by the week, although I do offer a discount if they pay for 6 weeks at a time. I had started with weekly classes working on a specific project each week and then decided I wanted to build upon each week so I started a "6-week series". My 6-week series has turned into a few months because my same students keep wanting me to continue. The only problem is that new students feel intimidated and don't want to join a class in progress, so I'm starting another class in the evenings beginning in February.

I love teaching, but I feel that I'm a better teacher than painter. Mostly because I spend all my extra time working out a lesson each week. How do you find lessons each week? Do you write your own like me or do you have other sources?

Things we have covered include: the basics plus brush strokes, color, triads, atmospheric perspective, tone, monochromatic painting, texture, clouds, trees, flowers, snow, water, etc.

There is so much to learn and it feels like there isn't enough time to explore and practice AND come up with lesson plans.

Any advice?

Wendy in California
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2006, 09:42 PM
New Bern, North Carolina

Hails from United States

Hi Wendy! Welcome to Wet Canvas, the best artists info website going! Your teaching history sounds almost like mine. I teach one-on-one art lessons there so student and I can set times convenient for us, works great. I teach watercolor and also colored pencil. $20.00 for two hours. They pay as they go.
I also teach at the local community college; a class in beginning watercolor, a class in intermediate watercolor and a class in colored pencil. It is for continuing education and so caters to senior retirees. If for some reason the college, now and then, can't offer "senior exempt tuition" then the seniors just won't sign up as they would have to pay $50.00 for 6 weeks/3 hour classes (what a bargin!), but they want "free", so it is sometimes hard on my income when they decide to "boycott" the college!!!
Yes! Lesson preparation takes A LOT of time and depends a GREAT deal on the ability levels of the various students and you sort of have to OVER prepare in order to "change in mid-stream" during a class if someone gets ahead or behind in what is being done. You may have already done this, but one of the most helpful thing I found for my watercolor students in learning the importance and the fun of working with various liquid consistencies of the paint; meaning that how the paint looks "thick", medium thick, medium thin and thin and what it looks like when dry and the various things it is used for. There is a wonderful book by Joseph Zbukvic called "Mastering Atmosphere and Mood in Watercolor" he goes into depth on the consistency of paint and also how the different consistencies work on wet paper and on dry paper. In fact, you could do a whole six weeks just from his book. Beautiful!!!
I also make a BIG DEAL out of the fact, that if a student buys a book and trys to "make" pictures like the ones in the book that they MUST buy and use exactly the same paint colors as the book or it JUST WON'T work, makes a big difference and cuts way down on student frustration!! Again, welcome and good luck with your work! Helen
"...artists are people whose gift it is to take things called commonplace and "RE-present" them to the world in such ways that the world's self-imposed limitations are expanded." Gary Zukav - "The Danciing Wu Li Masters"
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

Wendy,

I was going to suggest that you kick them outside and make them paint plein air. It's a whole new experience trying to finish or almost finish a painting in under 2 hours. You could start with some 30 minute exercizes, where they have 30 minutes to cover the canvas, use 6x8 to 8x10 size canvases. After they get good at the 30 minute starts then give them 60 minutes to start and finish a painting. Besides painting outside is a great experience and you can see colors that photographs just can't capture.

Don
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Medicine Hat Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada

I am new at using the WC site and am having trouble finding the same information I had earlier about ideas for teaching adults beginners watercolor. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2014, 04:27 AM
Hillsboro, Ohio

Hails from United States

I'm not a teacher....but have been an art student at the local college (as an adult...senior citizen). When I took classes, it surprised me that some people just wanted to learn how to paint, and had no foundation in drawing. I started at the bottom....drawing with charcoal and graphite from set up still life, and we had a couple of classes on perspective as well. I find it odd that people want to "paint' but can't draw! I don't know how a teacher can deal with that.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

I teach both children and adults with beginning drawing concepts. No one moves on to painting in whatever medium until satisfied they are able to draw well. Focusing on shapes and design, I'm hopeful they'll reach a point where they branch off on their own. I've taught at our junior college continuing education for adults, as well as my own studio workshops, classes in several states and abroad in the UK.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2015, 10:05 PM
Chennai

Hails from India

Like somebody else mentioned, I haven't been here in ages, and don't know whether I can be consistent in resuming. But this is the one and only reliable and my most trusted site to turn to when in need.

Well, I joined this site with a passion for water colors and as a practitioner of traditional art and now have become a trainer to adults of all ages and from all walks of life. Oh...what a journey!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2016, 03:04 PM

Hi everyone,

I currently teach beginning drawing, beginning figure drawing, and advanced figure drawing at a community college and at a State school in California. I've also instructed courses to full time art students at a well-known east coast private art college.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2016, 09:10 AM
PA - USA

Hails from United States

14 and up works for me.