Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Oil, acrylic Techniques easily translated for gouache

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Misspris

I’ve been wanting to buy books on gouache Techniques, but there aren’t many available that are exclusive to gouache. I was thinking I could get a book on another media, then adhere those techniques to gouache. I use watercolor and find that unless used watered down in a transparent method, gouache doesn’t behave in any way like watercolor. I want to use it opaquely, so any book on watercolor isn’t really going to benefit me.

So my question is what other painting media does gouache (not acrylic gouache) mostly resemble in regards to the way it handles. What other medias’ techniques are the easiest to translate over to gouache. Could I buy a book on say oil painting and just “pretend” it’s for gouache.

There is a book called Watermedia Painting with Stephen Quiller: The Complete Guide to Working in Watercolor, Acrylics, Gouache, and Casein
        Does anybody know if the contents on gouache are of substance? Most times gouache is just a footnote, even in books which state it’s name in the title.

Any advice would be most welcomed, thanks, Priscella

Check out the work of Lena Rivo[/URL], she is also on Youtube.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

DK4242

James Gurney uses a lot of Casein and Gouache. He has a YouTube channel with many videos.

RedcarUK

I have been doing exactly this with Hashim Akib’s book on urban landscape. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Painting-Urban-Cityscapes-Hashim-Akib/dp/1785002686/ref=nodl_?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ipad-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1785002686

You have to always keep in mind that gouache reactivates so you have to be careful with water on subsequent layers, but I have been really enjoying playing with his demos and adapting to gouache.

One painting below from one of his demos.

A couple books that I have. I liked both Artists before I bought the books. They use gouache differently and I liked comparing them. I bought Ralph Parker’s Book from his website. Moira Huntly’s was purchased from Amazon. I have seen the Quiller Book and remember it as having little to do with gouache. Good Luck. Gary

[ATTACH]867624[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]867625[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Misspris

Thanks for the replies. I will defiantly check out all the links. I do watch as many YouTube videos as I can find about gouache, but mostly they are very basic or speed paints, which look like paint was just slopped about and then a painting magically appears, without the artist narrating technique it’s hard for me to grasp, perhaps it’s just the way my brain works at learning.

So I understand every medium is a right in their own and no two will be exactly alike, but any 2cents on another paints techniques I can use for gouache. I hear that some oil painters use gouache for a lot of preliminary works, because of the similarities, but never having used oils, not sure how true this is and if this is a main consensus.

broker

Translation of the written content is always important for many people who don’t know different languages and it requires translating the writing content to different platform options. I have tried to find out the https://tablo.io/joseph-moore/how-to-translate-marriage-certificate-from site options where you can also translate the written content according to your need.

BeeCeeEss

I had the Quiller book for many years and remember it being primarily about acrylics. As Trikist mentioned, it had very little in it about gouache. If you can find a copy in a library, I recommend that you browse through it to see if it would be helpful in any way.

I would consider casein to be the closest to gouache, but they each have their quirks. They both dry brittle in thick applications so you should restrict your thick applications to a rigid support. They can be used on watercolor paper in fairly thin applications, even building up to opaque areas as long as you don’t get too thick with the paint. Illustration board can also be used. The casein will dry with a bit of a shine to its surface when applied thickly. When thoroughly dry, the casein can even be buffed to an even higher gloss finish, if that appeals to you. Gouache, however, will be a velvety-flat matte finish. As others mentioned, the gouache can be rewet and lifted, so care must be taken.  There is also a considerable value shift from wet to dry paint.  This is something you will learn to work around with experience.

You Tube videos on gouache can be an excellent source of information.

Beverly

I love cooking with wines! Sometimes I even put it in the food! -- Julia Child

Aes

I’d say acrylic is the closest in function, but that’s not really saying much. Its working properties are most similar to watercolor, I believe. Ive never used cassien, but i think its water resistant, which is a very important distinction. Also, it can behave similar to watercolor depending on the formula (and how good you are at fussing it to do what you want). Very pure pigment types like mgrahms, which are marketed to fine artists, are essentially thickly ground watercolor, while illustration industry stuff like Windsor newton will be more uniform in its handling and more opague out of the tube. These are the most similar to acrylic, I think. I personally like the WN best, though I’m slowly getting used to the graham.

I ran into this same problem when trying to find resources for classical/old master style painting in acrylic, of which there is exactly butkus. Every tutorial is for modern Impressionism or abstract stuff. Brushstrokes this, paint big that, not the highly detailed and blended look I wanted. I had to extrapolate everything I’ve learned from oil info, right up to getting a cheap oil set just so I could physically experience the difference in handling and adjust from there.

I’d say (since I’m actually doing this lol) just grab any random book, preferably free from the library, and start trying stuff. One geared towards a certain subject, like portraits, landscapes, etc, is more generally applicable than one solely focused on medium, since techniques are really more about the final look than the medium itself. Glazing is glazing, whether it’s in watercolor, acrylic, oil, or gouache.

Also, it helps to tune out the jargon and observe what it is the painter is actually doing, and not just what it’s called. Every discipline has it’s own names but the techniques are largely the same.

Of course the devil is in the applied technique, but that’s the experiment part.

Being niche really does suck sometimes.

C&C Always welcome.

artofaauditor

I’m not sure if this will help, but it is possible to glaze in gouache, but it is very tricky and requires a fast and careful hand. I use W&N Watercolor Blending Medium when I want to glaze over parts of my painting. This medium makes gouache very transparent, and although gouache is commonly used opaque, this medium brings some sort of advantage when wanting to add some value or color to certain areas into my painting.

I think this is somewhat of an equivalent to using acrylic medium to glaze with acrylic paint, or an oil medium to glaze with transparent oil paint. While glazing in gouache, oil, and acrylic require that the painted surface be dried before glazing, the main difference between gouache and the other two is that gouache can be reactivated. This means that you will have to be fast when glazing with gouache and the blending medium from W&N, you can’t brush slowly or else the dried layer will reconstitute. One could say to simply glaze with water, but that is much trickier and nearly impossible to do without immediately lifting the dry layer of paint.

Also, while acrylics and oils can be painted impasto, gouache can’t. Gouache has its limits with layering (gouache cracking), like how oils has its limits with layering (the fat-over-lean rule). It’s possible to make your gouache paints “impasto-like”, but not physically impasto.

Other than that, Lena Rivo mentioned earlier on this forum, once stated that she loves how her gloss varnished gouache paintings look like oil paintings, so that can help your gouache paintings somewhat resemble oil paintings, but that won’t really help with actual techniques used during the painting process.

Tina Lewis

For me it’s casein that most resembles gouache, and I much prefer it!

Because gouache always remains workable I find it gets very muddy (I should work on my lightness of touch), casein dries though so working in layers is much easier.  It also has that nice matte finish you get with gouache.

I’m not sure about impasto but you can certainly build up a little texture (as seen in this chair painting for the weekly painting event):

A casein painting

Edward

Did you ever try to find them on Google search? I see lots of people are getting expected results from there but I am not sure why not you? I usually try to find out solutions from Google. Suppose, if I need any kind of translation service I try to find out the best price. Basically, I want to compare the price with others. A website like this one https://isaccurate.com/pricing-top5 helped me to easily find out the best one for pricing comparison.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.