WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2008, 03:52 PM

How to soften gouache?

I've been experimenting with Holbein gouache in the tube. My question is how do I get that creamy consistency after the gouache has dried on the palette? I use water to soften them but then it's almost like watercolor. I love the opaque quality of gouache but when watered down for softening it becomes like watercolor. I do use watercolor as well but was experimenting with the opaque paints and find that i really like it.

Thanks,
Irene
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Forest Lake, Mn

Hails from United States
Re: How to soften gouache?

Good question, Irene. I'll be anxious to see the answer too. I just end up using them like wc.
Carol
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2008, 11:57 PM
A Local Legend
Liberty Hill, Texas

Hails from United States

Irene, I find that once they dry, it's almost impossible, if at all, to get that consistency back. Like Carol, I tend to use the dried paint for the more transparent parts of a painting, or for light washes over existing color. If the glob on the palette is big enough, try dropping a couple of drops of water on it, then take a stiff wet brush and work it into the glob. Sometimes I manage to squeeze some solid paint out that way.

Generally, though, I've just learned not to put too much paint out at a time. It means I'm constantly mixing again to get the same color, which can be trying at times, but I tend to work very opaquely most of the time, and use a lot of paint, so I really hate to waste it.

I also squeeze the paint out on a folded strip of wet paper towel, and spray the towel frequently. And my palette is an aluminum pan with a plastic lid that I buy at the grocery store. Spraying one last time before you stop, then putting the lid on the pan, will help keep the paint soft overnight.

Hope this helps.

My Art Showcase blog: www.ralphparkerart.wordpress.com
My Everything Else blog: www.ralphparker.wordpress.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Lord of the Arts
Forest Lake, Mn

Hails from United States

Thanks Ralph. I am thinking- my wet palette that I use with my acrylics would work- never thought of that- altho with the minis it's not much of a deal. I don't put much paint out either!!! :-)
Carol
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Kent England (close to london!)

Hails from United Kingdom

use a stay wet palette to keep the paints creamy..you can make your own from a plastic take away food container and put damp paper towels in the bottom get some grease proof paper from your kitchen and place on the top ...squeeze out your colour and when finished you just put the lid on...will stay wet for 3 days!!!!!...maybe even longer!

karen...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 PM

Hails from United Nations

hello,

i hope this is a related question because i do not want to hijack the thread.

i have old jars with dry gouache in them. lids are not tight that is why they got dry.

do i have any options other than just chipping off a piece of pigment and wetting it on a palette with water? can i mix in medium right in the jar? if adding medium works, can i put these paints in to tubes? will they last if i tube them? what is used as a medium for gouache?

thanks for any help!
konstantin
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2008, 01:46 PM

Thank you all for you responses. I might just go back to watercolors but will also dabble with gouache from time to time. I really do like the creamy and opaque covering i get with it.

Irene