WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#136   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Chicagoland

Hails from United States
Re: Calligraphy Online Tutorials

What a wonderful reason to rejoice and a fabulous manner in which to do it! So glad your friend has received the all-clear and I pray that she will continue to heal and grow strong!

Feel free to shoot me a private message and critique away! I can see PLENTY of issues that need work, but I may not see what YOU see!

(Honestly, I don't mind at all if you critique right here because others can learn from what I am doing wrong--just don't want to completely hijack this thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgford
Hi Kim
Isn't it a grand feeling just to kick over the traces and experience some freedom now and then !

Every other Friday morning a 50yr-old friend and I go out into the wild bushland here in our district and set up our easels. She gets into semi-abstract with charcoal, pastels, conte and / or watercolours whereas I slap around watercolours with large brushes on big sheets of Rough 300gsm paper in a much more naturalistic style. It has been an especial therapy for her but last week she got the all-clear on the final tests from her mastectomy so this time it was exhilaration, not just therapy.

She is a very gifted calligrapher but this plein air was something I talked her into doing as a diversion from things --- now she is doing work that I am envying !!! Isn't it wonderful to have a earlier student excelling beyond the mentor ??? !!! I am going to have to strive harder.

There is a lovely freedom that has overlfowed beautifully in some of your letters --- but a few others that I am dying to get at after the Batarde lessons have been tucked away !!!

Geoff
  #137   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia
Exclamation Re: Calligraphy Online Tutorials

...... after the Batarde lesson, Kim
Geoff
  #138   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
merseyside

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi everyone....not deserted you all...just come back today from holiday in Cuba. Jet lagged at the moment.

Have a lot to catch up on, will be a couple of weeks though. Grandchildrens summer term holidays start after next week for six weeks so will be tied up a couple of weeks childminding but will continue in-between with my lessons.

Be back soon
Marie

~ Marie ~
  #139   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Chicagoland

Hails from United States

Hi Marie!

Good to hear from you! How was your vacation? We're going to be going to the NorthWoods of Wisconsin soon for a week of reading at the beach, swimming, napping, antiquing, and generally doing nothing unless we want to! Can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie_d
Hi everyone....not deserted you all...just come back today from holiday in Cuba. Jet lagged at the moment.

Have a lot to catch up on, will be a couple of weeks though. Grandchildrens summer term holidays start after next week for six weeks so will be tied up a couple of weeks childminding but will continue in-between with my lessons.

Be back soon
Marie
  #140   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

I dont't know --- my aspiring calligraphers gallivanting around the world and this old fellow sits at his drawing board or computer keyboard knocking out future lesson plans and exemplars !!! On top of that, winter is approaching and I hate it !!! I know, we don't have snow here and even a frost is rare at our place but when the daily maximun drops below 28C my metabolism starts to wilt and I spend much time seeking warmth.

Cuba sounded wonderful, Marie --- a great source for colourful watercolour painting in plein air. And Wisconsin in your warming days, Kim, sounds as though it is going to be hard to take

At the rate you people are going, I seem to have written a book of lessons that will need about 3 years to get through. !!!

Geoff
  #141   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Chicagoland

Hails from United States

I think at least part of what we are experiencing with regard to 'synching up' is the upside down seasons that we share. It is late spring here--nearly summer--so the outdoor gardening and yard tasks are many and it's the season of outdoor activities and picnicking and BBQ's and vacations. I can't speak for anyone else, but the weather will become so hot and muggy soon that the grass will go dormant, the garden will be between planting and harvesting I'll be coming inside to the air conditioning!

I did begin on my miniscules and will have something to share soon. (I'm finding that roundness is getting harder with my arthritis--boo!) Today my neighbor (who is an accomplished artist and jewelry maker) is coming over to make photo light boxes so we can take better photographs of our work. If it goes well, I'll share instructions and photos.
  #142   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
merseyside

Hi Geoff, Hi everyone else,
Done some more practise this morning, was a real pleasure to get back to.
Tried my best, but I think I need more control over the pen, a bit squiggly in some places

Looking forward to the next calligraphy lessons

ps. Just noticed the spacing is a bit tight on the u and the a in quaffing, and I messed up the the very last letter s

~ Marie ~

Last edited by marie_d : 06-08-2010 at 08:13 AM.
  #143   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Welcome back after all your busy, busy days, Marie. It's good to see your progress. Yes! That last s is not looking very healthy is it?

In the word "quaffing" it is he fi that will dictate the letter spacing --- only the shortening of the cross-stroke in the 2nd f will allow the i to get any closer. So the -uaff- are all a tad too close, making then look like a solid block within the word.

Anyway, finish with these and have a go at Batarde.

Geoff
  #144   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

CALLIGRAPHY TUTORIAL
GOTHIC -- BÂTARDE

OUTLINE:
My General Plan
To present practical bâtarde gothic letters using letters in groups requiring similar strokes;
To use clear and concise instructions ;
To allow about 8 days to practise, to post for comments, to practise refinements, etc.;
To encourage personal criteria right from the start;
To continue and to enlarge calligraphic terminology;
To promote the use of letters in words as soon as possible;
To assist in giving attention to simple letter spacing within the words;
To introduce certain pen manipulations to enhance the quality of the letter shaping;
To require a number of self-chosen words at the end of each lesson;
To encourage as soon as possible the practice of “calligraphy --- beautiful writing.”

Materials
Pens: nib size 2mm.
Inks: Keep to your favourite black ink.
Paper: A4 Computer printer paper. Note – If the printer paper you are using is not allowing you to make sharp or crisp lines, try using A4 Bleedproof paper (as made for use with technical pens)
Drawing Board (or sheet of heavy carton corrugated cardboard with smooth covering) at a slight and comfortable slope.

Preparation
Bâtarde writing guidelines These letters have an x- height of 4.5 times the pen-width and add the same above for the ascenders and below for the descenders. With our 2mm pen, that will be 9mm for the “x-height” ---9mm spacing for the ascenders and for the descenders .

To save you time and effort, you may make a copy of my sheet and use that (call it Bâtarde 9-9-9). It has an pen-angle guide for 45 degrees
Print off about 5 sheets. It will print quite happily on the bleedproof paper.

Just a comment --- For those of you who have it, the use of gum sandaric will enable you to produce very crisp pen strokes on any paper that doesn't have a smooth surface. The powder should be ground to as fine as possible (very close to white) and put into a new pepper shaker. Sprinkle a very, very little amount on to your paper, spread it all over with the flat of your totally dry hand and then brush it off. Or, place a small amount (maybe, half tea-spoonful) in a square piece of cotton cloth, gather the corners and tie them to make a bag. Pounce this over the surface, spread it evenly and brush it all off.

Another larger comment --- The word “Bâtarde” is applied to the style of Gothic writing used during the 14th to 16th centuries in Northern France (and to a degree in Southern England, Flanders and Holland), especially to the more formalised style used in private devotional books such as Books of Hours. The word's interpretation at that time could be “*******” meaning that it wasn't really a legitimately recognised Gothic by the Church; but a secondary, calligraphic meaning was “cursive”. This meant that scribes could allow personal qualities to creep into their “hands” --- although still maintaining the common qualities of the pen-strokes with the sharpness, crispness and compactness that define the style.

In this tutorial module we shall be learning a modernized version (omitting some of the more archaic forms) that I have based on my own intensive studies from here in Australia and also overseas of Books of Hours from Oxford, Cambridge, London and Paris manuscript collections. Also, I own 3 pieces of manuscript of the late 15th century, which use cursive Gothic. There are many variations to be found being utilised by calligraphers around the world --- and under other names : “Pointed Gothic”, Gothicised Italic”. Some believe that you can distinguish one from the other by the letter-width or by the pen-width of the letters. But the common quality is pointedness, sharpness, compactness and liveliness.

To date, I have designed 9 modern versions of Bâtarde and am currently in the process of developing a version for modern use of an English hand that I found in Christ's College, Cantab. in June 2009, used in the writing of the Gospels by John Wycliffe.

I hope that you will become as fond of this hand --- and all its variations --- as I am!

CALLIGRAPHY TUTORIAL
GOTHIC -- BÂTARDE

LESSON 1
The first lesson will be about acquiring, and using, a new pen skill --- making “trailing hairlines”.

When an aircraft takes off from the ground, it lifts high its front (leading) end and leaves its back (trailing) end low. Go to the pen-angle guidelines, place your dry pen's edge on the 45 degree line and you can see that the right corner of the nib edge is the “leading” corner whilst the left corner is the “trailing” corner. If you move your pen up that pen-angle guideline and gradually lift the leading corner then the trailing corner will remain on the paper until you decide it is “take off” time. I call this pen movement “trailing”.

Let's try it with ink. Using a 45 degree pen-angle, make a downstroke which changes into a counter-clockwise curve --- don't stop until you actually reach the base-line. Make a split-second pause and then change into a “trail” up 45 degrees to the right, trailing the left corner of the nib to leave a fine hairline of ink until you decide to “take off” and the trail ends and you are airborne! Make a few of these.[IMG]

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2010/104792-Titling_hairline_pen.jpg[/IMG]
The next stage is to make a few with a slight curve moving up to the right instead of keeping on a straight 45 degree course. Then try to keep it curving until it is actually travelling straight upwards, as in the illustration!

Next, we will try making a trailing hairline downwards. --- but don't spend too long on this exercise because it will become much easier after writing a few of the letters First, it will be from a crossbar stroke.
Make a short horizontal stroke, pause, come up on to the trailing (left) corner, then make a hairline downwards. The second one is from a curve. The third will be from a full downstroke. Make a thick downstroke to well below the baseline but, just towards the end, start to go very quickly (keeping the left side of the stroke completely straight) into a steeper pen-angle until eventually you have a totally upright pen-angle (with the handle pointing fully out to the right), then trail straight down on the right corner. You may even curl that one slightly to the left at the end. The last one is just a manipulative challenge for you !!! The left edge is kept perfectly vertical but the right keeps narrowing all the way down as the pen-nib twists anti-clockwise whilst always keeping in full contact with the paper. Mind-blowing, isn't it?

So now you have achieved making a variety of trailing hairline curves. Hey! You are becoming quite a manipulator, aren't you?

Our first letter will be the “mother” letter --- the letter o. Keep to the 45 pen-angle for all strokes. Start at 11 o'clock and make the first curve right down to the baseline. Go back to the starting spot and make the second curve to join the first at its leading corner --- a “buffalo horn” and an inverted “buffalo horn”!. With the next attempt try to finish your first downstroke with the very bottom corner on the baseline stopping straight under what will be the starting point at the top of the second stroke.

Write a group of five and check for the best. Now is the time to start becoming aware of the shape of the counter --- its width and its tilt --- and to get into the habit of constantly checking it in every letter. In the next group of 5, try to repeat those good counter shapes.

The second letter is u . This is a valuable spacing letter being a decider of counter space and also of inter-letter negative spacing. It also demonstrates a linking line and an exit finishing line --- a very valuable letter.

Start with the entry serif, pause, curve immediately into the downstroke and eventually curve out to the baseline. Make that momentary pause and then the trailing hairline curving up to the right until it is travelling vertically. Starting just above the “waistline” (the x-height level) make the second downstroke so that it just covers that ascending hairline, coming down to curve out to the exit with its trailing hairline. Can you see the inverted “Gothic arch” made by the linking line? Why do you think I started the second stroke just above the waist-line?
Practice your groups of 5.

The next letter is the n . This will have the same counter space as the previous letter and also an upright “Gothic arch”. Note also that the first downstroke finishes with its point just below the baseline --- otherwise it will have the optical appearance of being slightly short.

Start with the entry serif, pause, curve immediately into the downstroke and carry it absolutely vertically to its base. Take the pen back up and place it within that downstroke, just above the mid-height. Ensuring you are still using the 45 degree pen-angle, curve up clockwise to the x-height, pause, curve down to the right and finish as you did in the u . You should have made the arch and also made the same counter width as in the previous letter. Practice your groups of 5.

Just these three letters give you most of the basic strokes needed to make the remainder of the alphabet ! So it is important to make them well !

Letter c is started as in the o but the final top stroke is just a little flatter. (Have you noticed that I have put a little vertical hairline as a “finisher”?) Letter e finishes with a 45 degree slide down to the left. Letter a is made just like the letter c , with the end stroke (as in the letter u) starting just a little above the waistline. Note that the dot of the letter i is merely a tilted square but placed in line with the downstroke. Did you practice your groups of 5 each time?

Write the words nice and ocean and post only those two words to me. Did you notice any special inter-letter spacing needs in either of these?

Have fun,
Geoff

Last edited by dgford : 06-08-2010 at 09:51 AM.
  #145   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
merseyside

Great stuff, lovely lettering Geoff. Cant wait to see this in a piece of text form.This merits a new nib and some new ink methinks.......

Your question 1...the letter U.
Starting the second stroke with the 'leading' edge of the nib at 'x' height would give the optical illusion of being slightly shorter than the rest of the lettering.

Question 2...any special inter letter spacing needed.
The 'n' in nice, and the 'o' and the 'n' in ocean?

Will be starting some practise tomorrow morning

~ Marie ~
  #146   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

I think that this illustration may help with writing the letter n . It should have been included !

Observant answers, Marie --- good

I can sense the excitement !!!

Geoff
  #147   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
merseyside

Thanks for the last illustration, helped a lot. Couldn't wait for new ink and nibs because I wanted to start practising straight away

Managed this so far......tried to keep the negative spaces the right shape as well as trying to form the letter.....looks better IRL...scan looks awful, and even worse when enlarged.

~ Marie ~
  #148   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Good to see that you have got cracking on this one, Marie.

Earlier this year, I found that when I scanned and I selected 800dpi as the resolution, it took a while but gave a great image. Then in my photo graphics program I resized it down to 800 on the larger dimension and used that for my download. It now seems to give a much cleaner image for my post.

Your letter n is coming too far through the baseline, making it look too lomg. Have another look at my example.

You seem to have a tendency to back-tilt in this piece. Try this trick --- push away the bottom righthand corner of your paper (because you are right-handed) just a little bit so that the paper is only just on a tilt. With your same sitting attitude and penhold, this will want to make your writing have a forward slope. But here it tends to neutralise things and merely helps to overcome a backward slope !!

The first e and the second c are both nicely upright with the b ottom point and top in good alignment You entries and exits are good --- look at that beautiful letter i to see what I mean.

I'd like you to do these for me again because they are rather vital in these very first stages.

Geoff
  #149   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
merseyside

Thanks Geoff, yes, the 'n',s are much too long. I can also now see the 'backward' tilt especially on the word 'ocean'. I will certainly do them again, 'practise makes perfect'.

Thanks for the tip on the res size, will give it a try on my next scan

~ Marie ~
  #150   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Belgium

Hails from Argentina

Good night Geoff!!! I return again with a lot of force to begin with your new calli, I pass all the afternoon doing it and ''voil*'' there is the result.
It's true that at first is not easy to manage the nib like a plane but then that I understand your explications, I feel like that I have it in my hand and I send you a nice ocean .
Kiss, Manuela