WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Enthusiast
Republic of Panama

Hails from Panama
air purifier

Hello, all... hope you had a great xmas.

I was wondering if you have had experience with air purifiers. There is one at Dick Blick that's recommended for pastels, but i'm not sure exactly how functional it is. Does it really help to have it on while painting? Is it worth investing in that?

I would love to hear your thoughts about this.

Thanks,

Annette
"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way... things I had no words for". - G. O'Keeffe
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2009, 06:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States
Re: air purifier

Annette, do you have a link to the one at Blick's?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2009, 07:00 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I have one and it does help a lot while pasteling. I put the waste basket near it and when I tap my paintings to get rid of loose dust, I can see it swirl in there to get caught in the filter (whatever doesn't actually get in the can anyway).

It's been a big help.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast
Middle of NC

Hails from United States

Annette,

I don't have an air purifier yet, but I have heard from many on here that use one with a hepa filter like one from honeywell, or one like that. They are much less expensive than those that you find at Dick Blicks and other art supply stores. I don't know how much better the ones at the art supply stores are. I know some have bought the "ArtistsAir" purifier that attaches to the easel, and they love it but it is quite expensive. Plus, I don't think you use an easel right? Anyway, if you do a search for air purifiers on here, you will come up with some threads about it. I know we talked about it last year at some point.

Sara
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2009, 12:40 AM
New Almaden, CA

Hails from England

I've had a Honeywell Envirocaire Model 13505 for at least 15 years. Like Robert described, I can see the swirls of pastel dust being sucked into it. My only criticism is the noise it makes. Maybe the newer ones aren't so loud.

I also use a Dust Buster periodically to get the dust in the collector tray. Spill that thing once and you learn not to let it collect the dust for too long...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2009, 05:45 AM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

I do use one once in a while. Well, put it this way, there is one that sits behind my easel. It just depends on when I remember to turn it on. LOL...

Remember to use a mask you guys!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 AM
Enthusiast
Riverside, CA

Hails from United States

I don't know anyone using a mask, and we have taken classes with rooms full of people not wearing masks. Should I be worried?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Depends on what vents the room, and how dusty it gets with all the artists working, and what techniques people use. If folks blow or spread dust around and you can see it in the air, then yes you might want to take protective measures.
I went the Artist's Air route for my personal studio as I am already living in a dusty place (Arizona) and am particularly sensitive to airborne dust. When you have a work area that you use consistently and you can see the dust on the furniture after you work, then yes you should take measures to keep the area as clean as you can, weather it is by cleaning surfaces or using an air filter or both.
Life is short, back AWAY from the computer, get off yer butt and go PAINT!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast
Republic of Panama

Hails from Panama

Thank you all for your comments.

Sara, you are right, i don't use an easel, i work on a big tilted board fixed to my studio wall.

Paula, raises a good point about masks. I don't use them, but i've been reading about silicosis, which is accumulation of fine particles in your lungs and it's pretty bad. It happens mostly to people in certain industries that are constantly exposed to inhaling particles like cement and many other things. The same argument is valid for pastels, but i'm not sure how high the risk is for pastellists if a mask is not worn or if an air purifier will be sufficient to make the work area safe.

Paula, the purifier i saw on Dick Blick is in this link: http://www.dickblick.com/products/al...air-purifiers/

Annette
"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way... things I had no words for". - G. O'Keeffe
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2009, 12:44 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree
I don't know anyone using a mask, and we have taken classes with rooms full of people not wearing masks. Should I be worried?

Lot's of pastellists use a dust mask, including myself. I couldn't comfortably do pastels without one as I would always get a cough or throat irritation if I didn't use one. I would definitely recommend using one.

I would definitely choose the mask as my first line of defense. While the air purifiers are meant to clean and replace the air a couple times an hour, they won't protect you from the dust that is in your immediate area that you are about to breathe in. Plus, they are much cheaper!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast

Annette: I also have an Artist's Air and I love it. I don't feel the need to wear a mask when it is running - but after reading Don's post perhaps I still should. I leave it running for an hour or two after painting, and then turn it off. I felt the benefits to my health were worth the expense - but that is a personal choice. If you don't use any harsh chemicals in your studio, then you don't need one of the filters - just the HEPA part - so it is slightly less expensive than for people who use oil paints and turps and stuff. The thing that is most helpful about the Artist's Air is the collection box that straps on to the easel. This goes directly under the painting on the easel so the pastel dust is immediately sucked into the filter as soon as it falls down off of the paper - it doesn't have to float through the air to find the filter. I suppose if someone were clever and handy, they could make something similar, but neither my husband or I have the tools or know-how for that. The one thing I do know is I have enough allergies, etc., I don't need any more dust in the air!! Hope this helps!

Lynn
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

I've never used a mask---but then I NEVER blow on a pastel painting or do other things to get the pastel dust airborn! I often keep damp paper toweling on the tray under my painting to catch any dust that falls down there, but I don't get a lot of dust into the air (that would settle on the nearby furniture, etc!) When I need to remove pastel from a painting, I use clear tape to capture and hold it! It works great and is dramatically better than brushing it off into the air, both for our lungs AND for the painting surface!

I have a HEPA filter fan and another great air filter that is far more complex---and it's utterly quiet, too! I have one in my bedroom at the other end of the house, as well---neither specifically for pastel dust but rather for any dust, etc. in general!

I think that if someone feels the need to wear a mask, they should! If someone constantly uses a brush to remove pastel from their painting or blows on their pastel painting, they absolutely should wear a mask! And they need air purifiers, too! But then, I think air purifiers are great, anyway, even for non-artists! :-)

If you want to check for what kind of dust you may have floating around, place clean sheets of typing paper at various places all around your easel and beyond---and check them for dust after you've painted for several hours (if you blow and brush a lot!) or after several days of painting if you are a bit more "restrained!" You might want to keep the papers around for several weeks if you aren't seeing much of anything---just to get a real sense of the dust and how it may travel, even in very, very small doses!

This is a really important issue to pay on-going attention to. Just re-think brushing your unwanted pastel off your painting---or blowing on your painting! Those are THE TWO BEST WAYS OF GETTING DUST INTO THE AIR and then into your lungs!!!

I've uploaded my article on Removing Pastel---which talks about several ways of doing it---and pros and cons. Very best wishes! Donna ;-}
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Removing Pastel.pdf (146.4 KB, 394 views)

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Enthusiast
Republic of Panama

Hails from Panama

Thank you, Don, Lynn and Donna. Your posts are certainly very helpful.

I sure would read your article, Donna. Thanks.

Annette