WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2016, 05:01 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Christmas is over :)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TX9EAavxrus

I pressed the space bar but I'm still on earth!
My work on Facebook
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2016, 06:58 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States
Re: Christmas is over :)

Sno: what a smile, I'm sending this to all my friends.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2016, 07:56 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

What about Sulfite intolerant? which is what I am!!

So funny

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:15 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black
What about Sulfite intolerant? which is what I am!!

So funny

I just won't invite you over Katie.

I pressed the space bar but I'm still on earth!
My work on Facebook
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
NorCal

Hails from United States

The truth is funny sometimes.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2016, 02:39 AM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Aah Christmas. A time for families to reunite to remind themselves why they wanted to move 3000 miles away from one another in the first place.

Thanks Sno, very funny.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2016, 10:58 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

My Christmas ended (Dec 29th) just how I predicted it would, at the place where I think most of the problems I have with Christmas originated. At the end of eating supper and everyone opening gifts, it was time for the 'one up' that certain folks in the family like to do. First my grandfather opened up his gift, an iPad. The people who bought him the gift were making the moment all about themselves, talking about how much trouble they went through to get the item, and making sure EVERYONE could hear them explain to him how the device works. After that, my aunt and uncle opened their gift from a certain group of family members. They read the card they opened up, an all-expenses-paid skiing trip to Colorado, with the members making sure EVERYONE could hear them say "from us to you!". A big "hooooorrraaaayyyyyy!!!!" and high-fives. When that was over everyone dispersed as quickly as they had run downstairs to open up gifts, and that was that. A big let-down, very little words of hope to see one another next year. It's all about the gifts. B A R F

https://www.instagram.com/nisty7kragel2/
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

George -

Giving gifts means different things to different people. I have a sister who has very little money, but always gives very large Christmas gifts. It is the one time of the year when she seeks validation within the family by giving. I often feel sorry for her, because her zeal in seeking and finding the perfect gift is not always matched by the appropriateness of the gift. We have been on the receiving end of a lot of odd and ugly stuff. But she needs to give something grand at Christmas and I have come to accept that this is her gesture of generosity and love - no matter how awkwardly it is done it means a lot to her.

Perhaps if you just considered that this excess of gifting in your family may be coming at least partly from a good place in the heart - even if it comes across as crass and showy. Some people - especially when they do feel a deep connection to the person receiving the gift - need a chance to say how hard they looked for something. Or when receiving a present, how much a gift means to them. My son gave me an iPad one year. He was working at a very low-paying job, so couldn't have afforded it, but won it in a contest and gave it to me as a gift. I treasure that - not because of what it is (I could have afforded to buy my own iPad), but because he easily could have sold it and used the money for his own expenses or kept it for himself as he could never have afforded an iPad and still doesn't have one. So on the one hand it looks like a crass and showy gift that outdid his brother, but on the other hand, it was a real gesture of sacrifice and thoughtfulness for him to do that.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2016, 01:05 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
My Christmas ended (Dec 29th) just how I predicted it would, at the place where I think most of the problems I have with Christmas originated. At the end of eating supper and everyone opening gifts, it was time for the 'one up' that certain folks in the family like to do. First my grandfather opened up his gift, an iPad. The people who bought him the gift were making the moment all about themselves, talking about how much trouble they went through to get the item, and making sure EVERYONE could hear them explain to him how the device works. After that, my aunt and uncle opened their gift from a certain group of family members. They read the card they opened up, an all-expenses-paid skiing trip to Colorado, with the members making sure EVERYONE could hear them say "from us to you!". A big "hooooorrraaaayyyyyy!!!!" and high-fives. When that was over everyone dispersed as quickly as they had run downstairs to open up gifts, and that was that. A big let-down, very little words of hope to see one another next year. It's all about the gifts. B A R F

Yeah, Christmas can be disappointing for many people. I don't live in the same country as my family, and I so I tend to avoid those sorts of problems. The biggest disappointment for me over Christmas was discovering that my cleaner had drank most of my vodka, and replaced it with water. I can't replace her, as stealing seems to be a cultural thing where I live, everyone's at it, and I might get someone worse, but still, it was a disappointment as I pay her well, far more than most people do, and I gave her "a goody bag" full of nice things every month to show my appreciation, cake, crisps, chocolate etc...I've now become a bit paranoid, and cant help but wonder if she is taking other things.

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2016, 01:51 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Colin -

That's where it is sometimes better to take what someone says at face value. My family, on my side, is VERY materialistic, crass, shallow, etc. They have always been about their image. About two or three years ago my grandfather, who owns the biggest real estate firm in this part of Kentucky, sent out books to everyone in the family highlighting his accomplishments. When he was little he wanted to get off his family farm and someday own the biggest white house in the county (check), have the biggest real estate firm (check). Pretty much everyday he was out golfing when I was growing up, with potential sales clients and with other big wigs in the area. That attitude spread to some of his children. One became an attorney, another spent her entire career working under him as a property appraiser / manager. The other two children, who 'did not make Daddy proud', are much more down to earth (my wife who comes from a lower income family would agree!). One has bounced around to different occupations, while the other struggled to do well in a field that is less about money, now she is a recluse. The family on my side is about public image, greedy. They are not close knit, at all, every get together is more about showing off their nice cars, talking about their accomplishments. There are few hugs or otherwise expressions of how much they miss each other and would like to see each more often. On my wife's side their get-together's are much more about spending time with one another, and expressing wonderment in the children. Opening gifts is but a very small part of the occasion.

https://www.instagram.com/nisty7kragel2/
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2016, 02:10 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Ha ha! Funny.

I remember having my first meal at the home of my father in law, who was Italian. The conversation went as follows. "How do you like your pasta, Ian?", "On your plate Rubens"...