WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2018, 09:18 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... October 2018

Marcia, I need to look into the color shapers, too.

Jess, your painting makes me nostalgic for New York City... you're showing the loveliness of it here!

I woke up early today; our alarm was going off, and later we discovered that we had 12 tornadoes this morning. One of our favorite shopping malls got hit, but I don't think there was too much damage there. I just feel sorry for the people whose houses were hit. One roof tore loose and landed on a neighbors house!

What's strange here is that our governor has declared the whole state of Oklahoma in emergency. We've had many more tornadoes than this happen in former years. Oh, well. She's knows best...

I had the most wonderful surprise yesterday! My son-in-law asked me and my son out to dinner because he was in town here from the east coast for
work. We met him at Olive Garden, and he had brought two of my grandchildren with him!!! Young Ana and Timothy are both artists, and we had a ball looking at each others artwork. Now that they're gone, I'm missing them so much. I need to go visit them in Massachusetts.

#62   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2018, 04:06 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Nancy, that was a wonderful surprise...so glad you had such a good time...always hard when it is past...maybe they will make another visit soon...and how wonderful you have more artists in the family...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2018, 10:58 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Nancy, so glad a tornado didn't whisk you and Himself away to the Emerald City, although I can visualize it: you both in nightcaps and dressing gowns, covers pulle up to your chins, kitties all under the covers - except for Starshine, who it clinging to himself's head with a poofy tail, wondering what it's all about!

Your son in law is a real treasure! Your unexpected reunion must have been such a wonderful surprise! Funny how such a happy event always leaves us a little sad at parting. That's Love I guess.

I didnt find much useful info in how to use color shapers in regards to oil painting, apart from firmer is probably better, and primarily they are good for scraping off paint? If anyone has any personal experience to share, info, or links handy, I would love to know.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Marcia, thanks! She is shedding a little which is unusual for her in her normal earlier environment.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2018, 03:58 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Becca and Marcia, you've both hit the nail accurately about my lovable grandchildren; that was such a treat, and yes, I was a bit blue when they left. Timothy is still in college, and majoring as an art teacher. Ana's is planning on joining the marines - she says she'll always be doing art, but the marines will keep her supported. (?)...!

Mosc, you've been traveling, and I think pets are sensitive to different atmospheres, so it's normal for cats to shed - she's probably growing some more hair!

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2018, 01:02 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Today during part of the building fire emergency testing a large pipe burst...flooded a number of apts and the lobby...I am not sure if they are going forward with the alarm test now or not...

aside from that having mild fall weather...

Nancy, good your grandchildren have a plan.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2018, 01:31 PM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Goodness Becca! I guess it is a good thing they tested, that is a huge fail! It could have happened during a real emergency!

Electronic device issues today for me. The touchscreen on my iPad keeps freezing up I am going to do a backup and reset, hopefully that will cure it. It seems to be an issue with Safari and doing software updates in the App Store so far. It wasn't dropped or got wet, it just stopped responding this morning, although the buttons still work. I wouldn't panic, except I use it to display my reference photos when I paint.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2018, 01:37 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia...yes it is good...and was on the 21st floor...nearly the top of this building so water migrated a long way down...lucky for me I'm on the E side and the W was hit by it...

and I'm sure the iPad will recover...have thought of using mine for ref work too, never seem to have it charged when needed...anyway good luck
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2018, 11:52 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Happy Furriday!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2018, 05:38 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I sold this one this week!

Happy Fur Day to all of you! Especially for Marcia, who started it! It's supposed to rain all day and weekend here, so, apart from lunch with my classmates tomorrow, I'll be doing indoor chores mostly.

Becca, I'm so glad the flood didn't touch your apartment! What a terrible clean-up job that will be!

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2018, 06:09 PM
A WC! Legend

.Conga-rat-ulations Nancy! Butterflies must sell paintings.
I'm glad there is still a market for beautiful paintings like yours.

My day veered off track again. My car had a slow leak in one tire, so we dropped it off to get it fixed (no charge whooppee!) and on the way back to pick it up, bf told me that the tarp on the trailer was shredded and needed replaced before the next rain. Guess what's in the forecast for tomorrow? So I ended up getting a new tarp, cords, etc. and went up to the homestead to help him cover it. The good news is that even though it is going at a snail's pace, progress is being made on finishing it. There are a couple things I have decided to hire out (replace the springs and shim around the vent so water stopps pooling and leaking there - which is the main reason for keeping it tarped), but can't afford to do either just yet, so no rush.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2018, 07:33 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Nancy, and congrats on the sale...

Marcia, butterflies do sell..
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2018, 08:55 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Hello everyone,glad you are all still here.Ive been busy doing stuff.And...I have a new puppy so.......
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2018, 11:35 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

mosc, I hope Muffin is OK. Pearl seems to be quite sensitive to both heat and cold, but I don't know that's typical for cats or Bengals in particular. Pearl didn't want to eat much during the hot months this past summer though. She hadn't done that before but maybe that's what's going on with Muffin. Still, given she's taking a new medication, I think a vet visit would probably be wise.

Becca, glad to hear you're safe and dry!

Nancy, I remember that painting! A huge congrats on the sale!

Marcia, despite all these setbacks, you still manage to accomplish more than most ordinary mortals. I hope the tarp keeps the water out and that your car is returned in good shape.

Michael, a new puppy! Wonderful...you must post photos!

A ton of stuff going on here...sadly, not a lot of painting, although I've done quite a bit of painting planning lately - that counts for something, right? I read something today about creating a "golden day" for oneself, with no email, phone, other people, etc. and am thinking I should try that. The problem for me is so often all the myriad of household things - and my ongoing downsizing project - that nag at me to do them immediately - I'm not sure how to turn those off.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 10-12-2018 at 11:45 PM.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2018, 01:41 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thank you all for the congrats on the sale! "Butterflies are free, and so are we..." is from an old song I kept humming today.

Marcia, we're getting a downpour of rain, too - I'm just glad I don't live in Oklahoma's panhandle. They're actually going to get snow up there! October is not a month we expect things like that, this far south.