WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 10:41 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... October 2018

Marcia: it is called a Color Shaper. I have a whole set....they come in handy for pastels, acrylics, oils. I use them for wipe-out method in oils.
HERE IS A LINK:
https://www.dickblick.com/products/c...iABEgLjY_D_BwE
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 12:42 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Becca, it must be disconcerting to suddenly see people rappelling outside your window.

Paul, congrats on the grandchild! It sounds like your son had an excellent example to learn from.

mosc, nice to hear from you - what have you been up to? Awww...Muffin looks so cute. I just love her ruddy color!

Marcia, good luck with the painting plans. Mine seem to constantly be foiled by other things coming up.

Nancy, I hope Marcia's advice for the RA works for you.

Marcia, the tools are called "Color Shapers." They come in different shapes and sizes, and in child-sized versions too. You might try out a child-sized one first, as they are much cheaper. Oh, whoops, I see Derek has beaten me to it.

Lots going on for me, as I seem to have overloaded my calendar again. There's a really interesting and worthwhile lecture series on perspective for artists (despite regularly using perspective during my architectural years, I find I've learned quite a few things). And then there are a weekly book group, and my class, and film festival weekly volunteering. And once-a-month volunteering for a civics/cultural lecture series. Why do I keep doing this??? But I am working on painting stuff too. I reorganized my reference photo files (or the more recent ones), and here's something I found while doing so:

...it was in the window of a gift shop that has a series of clever t-shirts like this and other similar items. I was tempted!

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 10-08-2018 at 12:48 PM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 01:28 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Annie, not unsettling at all...inspiring ..

glad you are keeping busy in a positive fashion.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 01:30 PM
A WC! Legend

Thank you Derek and Annie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
Marcia: it is called a Color Shaper. I have a whole set....they come in handy for pastels, acrylics, oils. I use them for wipe-out method in oils.
HERE IS A LINK:
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 02:58 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
HERE IS A LINK:

I use them too!!! I always take one plein airing with me, and it gets a lot of use!

Especially this past Friday....my color shaper did a LOT of work....

6x8 oil

#51   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 03:09 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Nice light in this Jess......wow you actually had some sunshine. Another miserable overcast rainy day here in Jersey.
Good work there with the shaper. Pull out areas....wipe off...pull out etc.
Also great for adding impasto bits. I like it Jess.
but.....you got some paint on your easel....oh my!
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 03:10 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

Derek- there was some sun last Friday. I completely color-shaped the foreground twice. I wiped the paint off my box, tho it still does have paint on it. I don't mind, art supplies that look brand new are unused...and unloved...and I use my box a lot.

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 03:25 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

It is actually cleaner than MY easel.
just Joshin' Ya!
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
mosc, nice to hear from you - what have you been up to? Awww...Muffin looks so cute. I just love her ruddy color!
Annie, have been painting olivetrees on the roof terrace at the pueblo and few still life projects down in patio in Andalucian light/sun. Light makes a huge difference, I can tell, and theres lot of light here, its everywhere and non stop! You know .. Im worried b/c Muffin is loosing weight. I now can take the harness off her so easily. A month back it was tight, too tight. She looks skinnier. Is it possible that she can not handle heat? Can that happen to cats? We are not used to these temperstures, has been close 40 C the past month or so. She is getting her medicine once a month which is required here, its a med to protect from strange bugs. I think its quite strong med. She didnt have that med before. Thinking of takeing her to the doctors.

Marcia, "hello" back.
Becca, .
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 06:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Looks like I am going to be watching vids about color shapers tonight. Jess, nice plein air.

If Muffin's appetite is good, she probably fine, it may just be the stress of moving and adapting to a new climate - she may be shedding too!

I forgot to mention - love the Frida Catlo shirts!

I just ordered some new shoes for this winter:

I hope they are comfortable. Their measurement guide said a size 8 foot is 9.80" and mine measures about 9.5, so I am hoping there is room for socks. Oddly, the next size up was 9.5.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Jess...nice work on that plein air...

Mosc...

Marcia, cool boots...they should fit nicely...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 09:41 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Woo....make a big hit in a line dance.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

I'm back from vacation. We had a lot of smoke before I left and it confused my asthma. After we left I had pneumonia and ended up in the hospital. Dh had to drive home. I flew home after the doc released me. I'm caught up on my art sales but haven't started painting again. DH has been doing the cooking and my kitchen looks bad. he has been making jelly and has every counter covered with stuff. I'm not saying anything to him. He is having fun. I get dinner and I don't think it will last long.
I flew from Vegas to Seattle had a plane change then to Pasco. I had help changing planes and not much time between arriving and the next plane's departure and I thought the guy was going to run over little kids. He did run over a Man, foot.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2018, 01:44 PM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

I had a teeth cleaning this morning and they took an x-ray of a filled rear molar that has been very sensitive to hot and cold. The good news was it wasn't infected and the filling just needed filed down a bit. The bad news was the x-ray for one tooth and 5 mins w/ the dentist added $121 to the bill. Better than a root canal and a crown on all fronts though, which was what I was afraid of.

Mary, glad youu are back, sorry your vacation was cut short by illness. On the other hand, it was probably good that you were out of the bad air to recover. You have my sympathies over the state of your kitchen. My bf is good about washing dishes, but scores poorly on wiping down counters and other surfaces. And for some reason, he will leave my reusable water bottles and travel mugs unwashed, even if they are sitting with the rest of the unwashed dishes. I have to ask him to wash them, then he looks at me funny and says I don't have to remind him, because they are sitting right there.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2018, 05:47 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Mary, glad you are ok now.

Marcia, you too...glad the dentistry was limited.
Becca's Fine Art my blog