Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Blending with Liquin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    maria magenta

I read on oil pastel artist Jane Wilcoxson’s blog that she uses Liquin to blend her OPs and then puts more layers on top. I wanted to try it so I got some Liquin and did this 6×6 inch still life on watercolor paper.

Here’s my first layer before blending. I decided to use toned down complementaries for the colors, and try to get the values accurate.

After blending with liquin. It seemed to be dry when I came back to it the next day.

The finished product. The surface of the blended OPs was very slick and difficult to work with. I think this would work a lot better on a sanded paper so I am going to try that next.

terriks

Very interesting experiment, Maria. It sounds like the addition of the Liquin made the surface harder to work with – I don’t think many of us like it when our OP’s get overly slick. Your painting did come out looking lovely and smooth, however. :)

I’ll be interested in how your experiment with a sanded paper comes out. Exploring different blending mediums with OP’s is always welcomed. Thanks for posting this for us!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

MaryFlora

Beautiful Maria!

I have no experience with blending mediums and enjoyed reading and seeing your experience.

Thank you!

Mary Flora

Using liquin will give it an oils finish. I sometimes use it as a final layer to seal the op’s. It is possible to work with op’s over oils with great results.

Christel

maria magenta

I tried again on sanded paper (I only had black). This worked perfectly. It didn’t get slick. The first layer was dry and did not blend at all with the second layer.

I did the same still life.

otherworlder

Lovely paintings! It’s intriguing that the first layer dried completely and won’t blend with the second layer, now I have got to try this! I have been looking for ways to seal layers; it certainly would make things a lot easier!

MaryFlora

I’ve never worked on sanded surfaces, is the drying a typical result on those?

Maybe sanded papers are more absorbent?

The black paper enriches your lovely still life!

Mary Flora

maria magenta

Thank you, Mary! The drying was due to the liquin. The first layer was also dry on the watercolor paper after blending with liquin. Using sanded paper kept it toothy through multiple layers.

maria magenta

Since I made this post, I have been using this technique a lot with the addition of mixing some ground pumice into the liquin. That gives the blended surface a toothy texture that is very easy to draw on with oil pastels.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.