WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
Re: MTM Feb.1-14,'09 Sticks and Stones...

I've got some pics (somewhere) that I took of a fishing trip with my grandsons last summer. There are a couple of excellent shots that have beautiful cliffs in the background.

I wouldn't mind a few pointers on cliffs myself.

#62   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Jelly-beaning my underwater rocks worked awesome!

Then, after "adding water".....

Then, making the water "deeper"...

The glaze I used for the water is cerulean blue, titanium white, a bit of payne's gray, a bit of metallic silver craft paint and a lot of gloss varnish.

Some highlights, dark places and my water will be done!

The glare from taking indoors night-time pics aren't helping things here!

#63   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 03:06 AM
Namsos, Norway

Hails from Norway

WOW, Dee you have done a great job with those rocks and water.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Dee for a lady who said she has problems with water you've pulled this off amazingly.

Good morning all.
I was a little stumped as to where to take you from here. You basically now know all my secrets for painting rocks. As I said earlier I am sure there are many other methods, but some one will have to teach them to me first. I was considering piling up the rocks and demonstrating how to paint a stone fence or wall, but I think Matthew has presented a more interesting challenge. Can the jelly bean method work on cliff faces? So last night I ransacked the house looking for a reference pick I could work from. The best one I could come up with is a black and white photo from a place called Lupin Falls on Vancouver Island. The photo is very dark, which presents some challenges, black and white which actually is working for me, and sentimental as it is where my husband proposed.
So, the challenge is made, will it work. I started last night with a basic line sketch.
I then started blocking in areas of similar colour. The photo is black and white, so I've had to go from memory as to the colour of the rock face itself. I'm pretty sure it was a dark gray with blue tones. If anyone wants to try this, I suggest using your photo shop program to convert your original image to black and white, as I think it made picking out the value areas easier. (by the way don't ask me how to do it, because I don't have a clue. I don't even know how to find photo shop on my computer, although I have been told it is there.)
So this is where I am. Today we will find out if I can add the high lights and low lights and maintain the structural authenticity of the reference. (Isn't learning fun )
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 08:28 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Just a quick look through and there's already some great work here! I'll be back later to look properly - and learn!

Peeps - don't forget to rate the thread if you think it's good! I have

I'm sharing this, not cos it's any good, more in the spirit of the class and to mention my probs!

My jellybeen shore:
Sharon, I tried your method - honestly - and much of this remains that but I had such problems with the black that I had to repaint it all! (I don't normally use black, so I was probably too heavy-handed!)
This is just 4x6" and had it been a 'proper' painting I'd have used some spattering also for the sandy/pebbly area, but being so small, I couldn't be bothered to mask for the process! ....... so imagine spattering for the smaller grains!
It's a crop from a ref. by Blu-Ize of a lake shore.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

That looks really good Dee!

Maureen, you probably just need to get used to using black. But anyway, you got a nice result there.

Looking forward to seeing the next steps on those cliffs.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone.....usually my water leaves much to be desired.

But I'm not usually painting water over jelly beans!

Maureen, that looks fine. Ever since I "discovered" payne's gray, I use it more than black.

Sharon, I can't wait to see your cliff! Its tempting me to go looking for the pics from the fishing trip!

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Maureen that's lovely.
I'm still trying and won't say I'm not having some difficulties, just getting use to it I think, I as well have to get use to using black, okay back to work.

Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
A Local Legend
Maryland, USA

I have to admit that I have an ulterior motive - the February Landscape Challenge paintings are full of rocks this month (one of them with boulders in a stream, and the second with cliffs that look like they come out of the Hudson River Valley school of painting), so rocks are very much on my mind right now!

Looking good here - lots of rocks and pebbles!

Still much to paint and much to learn!
My Blog My Print Gallery
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Sorry you ran into trouble Maureen. Most likely the problem was the water to paint mixture. I really recommend diluting it quite a bit until you get to the point where it is comfortable for you. You can always add more coats after it dries in order to get more pigment. I'm really sorry you had to repaint it, that is definitely no fun. If you usually don't use black you can always mix up a combo of whatever you are use to using for your darkest darks and then dilute that.
So here is the update on the falls. I've gone in with my diluted black and put in my low lights. Depending what time I get to work on this today the next step will be to add in the high lights. Normally I would add in any washes of other colours first, but since my reference is black and white, I'm not sure where they will go. I think I will decide once the highlights are in where they are needed.
Wish me luck.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

I bow to your expertise Sharon this is taking on such an amazing form and already very recognizable. Printed out all the lessons so far and will sit with them for awhile, I get the process but sadly I'm not getting the results which is just me. Excellent class!! I'm just not a good student..lol

Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

sorry it posted twice!

Florals/Botanicals,
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

I just found this thread today. Thank you for all the information, Sharon. They are all very inspiring. I don't use acrylics at all but here is my first attempt for this year.

I usually photoshop my unsuccessful pieces and here it is the photoshopped version. Thank you for the beautiful reference photos.

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Don't get too frustrated Elaine, it should be fun, no stress.
Sandra, glad you found us. Thanks for joining in. I am so amazed at what you are able to achieve with photo shop. It really looks sharp.
Well despite numerous distractions (husband is home today and apparently bored), I managed to get the high lights on.
Now I'll have to play with the colours and detailing the flora to make it look like somewhere real. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2009, 03:35 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Quote:
Sorry you ran into trouble Maureen. Most likely the problem was the water to paint mixture.
Lol Sharon, don't apologise!! It's my fault for not getting the mix right!

I am much happier with my own 'black' mix - a conglomeration often of whatever is on the palette! Lazy!!!
One of the mistakes I made was covering the piece of mountboard (mat) I was using with medium first, rather than gesso, and it made it too slick. The paint was sliding instead of gripping!!!!

I'll have to find a ref with cliffs/rocks too - I'm never comfortable with those .... practice, practice, practice!

Dee, love the colours in those river rocks and the underwater jellybeans turned out well - or rather, submerged well!

Michelle - those stones/rocks and pine branches are so goooooood - what a labour of love: you are so neat ...... just beautiful.

Don't know the bird - flicker - don't have them here!

Sharon, your exercises are excellent - thanks for all the demos because I know how time-consuming it can be getting everything ready for the rest of us! Thank you.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**