WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Germany

Hails from Germany
MTM 15 -30 Jan 2009 FUR AND FEATHERS

MtM Hosting Guide and Schedule.

MTM CLASSROOM : 15 th January to end January 2008 FUR AND FEATHERS

Hi everybody,
I hope you will join me, relax and have some fun, participate and hopefully we will all experience something new . I am going to post my tips and techniques over the next few days. Please feel free to ask questions, post your W.I.P’s and share with us your favourite books , artists and videos on this subject so that we can learn from each other. We have two weeks to experiment,or sit back and watch others experimenting (lazy thing you!!) and maybe have a go at painting a bird or an animal. I am really looking forward to the time with you all. I am no expert but really enjoy painting these living creatures so will do my best.

If you intend painting from a photograph (and there are some wonderful ones in the Reference Library) try to find one that gives you a nice close-up view of the lie (or the direction) in which the fur or feathers grow.

It takes practice to paint fur or plumage and it really is worthwhile to study the work of other artists. Some paintings are very detailed whilst others merely suggest texture.
My own work is fairly detailed. Although smooth surfaces are better for painting detail, I tend to enjoy gallery wrapped canvas or canvas board. I like the slightly rough surface which allows a (hopefully) more ‘painterly’ style to come through.

Materials: As I have mentioned, canvas is my choice but smooth board (illustration board) is a good support for really detailed work. Or of course, you can cover the support with gesso, sandpaper the first layer, re-gesso, sandpaper again until you achieve the necessary smoothness.

I start my work with larger brushes – A mixture of various brands , flat 30, (a local manufacturer Boesner, size 24 , a medium long flat, a number 10 round . All these brushes are specifically for Acrylics. For the finer work I use Kolinsky Rotmarder (very very similar to sable but not as expensive). Here the brushes are two riggers – 0 and 1 and number 1 round and 4 round.
Brushes can vary in size from manufacturer to manufacturer. However, we all have our favourite brushes and they are probably totally different to mine.

The paints I use are Liquitex heavy bodied. I find they work for me and although rather thick, I can make the paint as thick or as thin as I wish with the addition of Liquitex Gloss Medium and Varnish and the minimum of water. I will explain this later.

Getting Started: The initial drawing is very important while it gives me the security of knowing the proportions are right.
A good idea is to buy a soft toy (there are incredibly life-like ones available). This is a good way to observe the direction of fur, the colours, the thickness etc. A bonus is that you have an animal that is going to stay absolutely still!!!!!

This is a painting of a monkey which I painted after taking many photos and sketching the little fellows who were scampering around our cabin in a national park in South Africa. There is no substitute for watching animals in real life. Of course , we can’t all be scampering off to South Africa. I am fortunate in that my family live there and I need to visit at least every two years. However, there are zoos where most animals can be observed. There are the sections in zoos where children are able to stroke animals and there you have the opportunity to really see in which way the fur lies. A little more disturbing (because their eyes are so lifeless) are the exhibitions in Natural History museums where various birds and animals remain forever frozen in time. Take your sketch book and draw draw draw.

If you are fortunate enough to own a pet, cat or dog, horse or pot-bellied piggy, stroke the hair and see the way each layer overlaps the other.

That’s all from Hamburg at the moment. See you tomorrow.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 01-19-2009 at 07:54 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from France
Re: MTM 15 -30 Jan 2009 FUR AND FEATHERS

HI Chammi!
you did a super work!the fur is very beautiful and I love the eyes and expressions!
great idea you have Chammi!but sorry don't count on me!I have not such a patience!
clem
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Alberta, Canada

Hi Chammi! looking forward to watching (and hopefully participating!)

My Website Calliope's Musing; My Blog Pencil Shavings; My ArtFire shop
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United Kingdom

Great start to the class Chammi! I'll be watching, and will follow all the tips, but not immediately during the alloted period I'm afraid. Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way, lol. Love your monkey - beautiful eyes and expressions.

For now I've got some book recommendations though:-

Paint Realistic Animals in Acrylic - Lee Hammond
Painting Wildlife with John Seery Lester

I love both these books.

Alison

Last edited by Alison2 : 01-14-2009 at 04:48 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from New Zealand

Hi Chammi

Thank you for taking the time to show us how you paint. I'll be watching, and will follow all the tips, and will hopefully participating

I have only tryed painting my dog. This will be my challenge for the next two weeks

Love your monkey beautiful eyes
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 05:58 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Hoping to participate, but if not I will still be watching and learning!! Love the monkey!
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I like painting dogs..done four (and a half). And I've done a few deer.

I'll be certainly watching this...and maybe drag out that "half" to finish it.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast
Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

Hm, might be a good chance to practice with my new kitties and all... but I can't help but think this is gonna be hard!!!

Yes, I am lazy.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Looking forward to following along.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Hi Clem. Glad to see you here. Try an animal in your style - quick and dynamic. Go for the textures rather than the detail.
Kathy - hope you will give it a go.
Alison. Lee Hammond's book is very good. It is also one of my recommendations. Nice to have you with me.
Graham. Thank you. Looking forward to your work.
Susan. Glad you will be giving it a go.
Dee. Of course you are going to finish that half a dog. Which half???!!!
Jesslyn: Now you are NOT going to be lazy and hope you will enjoy painting your kittens. Sketch them in the meantime or take a nice closeup photo.
Sylvestra: Took a look at your website. There is some lovely stuff there and your photos are fantastic. I am sure you will be a great asset to this workshop.
Am off to work now but will be posting more stuff tonight. Till then.
Chammi.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Last edited by chammi kaiser : 01-15-2009 at 03:05 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Chami!

Your monkey painting is amazing! I'm looking forward to learning more about painting animals and fur and feathers, and all such things...as time permits. Thank you so much for leading/hosting this class for us!

Elizabeth

My Website: www.CrabtreeOriginals.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Hi Chami,

Looking forward to joining in, perfect timing as I'm in the beginning of painting this very very fluffy cat..taking a seat got my supplies, ready, set, go.
Thank your for doing this..an love your monkey it's fantastic!

Elaine

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Great fur, and good leathery face...
[url]https://visioneerwindows.blogspot.com[url]
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I will try not to be a lazy one this time, lol. I do have a bird photo that I have wanted to paint for a long time, so maybe this class is the kick I need to get it done. (Just like the last class was the kick I needed to finally use one of my cloud references. I still have to start that.)

I have done both fur and feathers before and find painting animals and birds quite enjoyable.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Thanks so much Chammi - and nice painting to start us off too!

I'll tack this class onto Elaine's - still have my clouds to do .... after the other projects I'm committed too this month!
Looking forward to others joining in though and seeing how they tackle fur and feathers too

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**