WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States
Re: MTM Jan.1-14 Painting Clouds n Skies

Good Morning

I was thinking last night of the best way to perhaps breakdown a cloud reference. Like reading all this, looking at a whole cloud can be a bit
Before I go on with my Wip I thought maybe a simple breakdown of shapes might help some for those perhaps just attempting clouds.

So took my little reference and tried to see a few steps to consider. Most
clouds are layers so one layer at a time might be a good way to view them rather then the whole. Look first for the primary shape of a particular formation, then go to the next and the next until you have sketched out an entire cloud without being overwhelmed. Don't know if this will help or not but hope so. Did cheat to be quick and used my computer but the same applies by hand.

You have a background and you can start at the top or the bottom where ever to outline a single shape, not perfectly because that doesn't matter, you are after the "essence" of a cloud, you'll never catch the actual cloud because they are always changing right.

Add a Second shape:

and a Third Shape:

Come the fourth you can start making it all come together and I think rather simply.

Fifth Shape you can play making it all blend together.

I tend to separate shapes when I paint, relating one to another, whether a complex landscape or a portrait, still life, when you break something down into relating shapes I think it becomes easier not only to sketch but to see.
And you tend not to become overwhelmed or try to do too much all at once more so as a beginner. The more proficient here may think this silly but I really didn't want to overwhelm anyone.

As to the Palette Colors did come to my attention that maybe not everyone has some of the colors listed, don't let that be a problem please, use whatever you have, any blue, a white and some black to make gray is really all you need. Experiment with those and later you might become interested enough to obtain other colors. I'm thinking this particular session is a workshop which to me means "practicing" so moving on then....

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

My WIP continued.As I said earlier I do not do well with tiny steps, once I start to paint I rather forget to stop and take a picture, here's what might be said to be a 5th & 6th step towards and end.

next

Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
Florals/Botanicals,
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Okay you're turn.....

Florals/Botanicals,
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Southbury, Connecticut

Hails from United States

Elaine,

I am sorry that i didn't see this thread sooner. This is a great lesson, and I am pulling up a chair as well. Can't wait to give this a try on my own That is if I ever gather up the courage lol

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Einstein
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Hi Scott..Thank you for looking and pulling up a chair I do hope you give it a try would love your company. And....no it's not courage you need to gather.. it's a brush and some paint and something to paint on
Really is not hard at all, I promise.

Again thank you for coming in.

Elaine

Florals/Botanicals,
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Elaine, what a great class! Happy New Year and thank you for doing all of this, it looks fab! I will do my best to have a little go! It may not be within the allotted time, but your tips are great and I will definitely make use of them.

Thanks so much!

Alison
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Northern Minnesota

Hails from United States

HI Elaine~ I am watching your every move, even though I can't get into painting right now. I will mark this for future paintings. You make it look pretty painless!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Austin, Texas

Hails from United States

First of all, Thank you so much for the information/technique notes that you are posting here> Great information....And great timing for me especially. I am working on a triptych (sp?) for my son's living room of red poppies. When I first put in the sky, I used just Ultm. blue, didn't put much gradient into it at all, then paiinted in my clouds.

Now I am trying to blend in colors of white, Ce Blue at horizon, and ult blue at zenith. This is acrylic, of course.

My problem is blending the colors so that there is a smooth transition between about 3 or 4 layers of color combinations above. My transitions leave a slight layer distinction which I can't seem to get beyond.

Any advice beyond what you have already included here.

Again thanks so much.

Bob
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Hi Alison, Barb and Bob..so glad you came in for a peek. And thank you for your kind words.

Alison I hope you do give it a go and when ya do I'd love to see if my tips worked.

Barb, it's really funny because honestly it is painless, once you get into the feel of it you just kind of go with the flow..hahaha no pun intended.

Bob - I've actually come up against that myself.

Hmm okay let's see, I wish I could see what you're seeing, size is important too, what area you have to recover, but, first off if your clouds are set, well defined, this makes it harder to repaint a background color, so if you can "mask" those clouds that would be 1 possibility, but if they're not well defined that might not work so well. Any masking fluid should work, not just for watercolors..lol

If you don't have a problem with covering them and redoing them then the next suggestion could be the quickest and easiest way to give the background some gradation.

From your horizon I'd use the Ce Blue with just a touch of white, better still if you have a mixing white, that doesn't change the color only lightens it. At this point I wouldn't try and go too light but be satisfied with even a subtle difference. Even just Ce Blue with Ultra.

Okay there is this "double loading" a brush that I use on occasion.
Basically you are laying two colors at once and they intermingle in the middle as you drag the brush across a surface. Depending on the size of your piece this could be an option.

1.with a flat head, fairly wet brush, not tooo wet tho, load one side with Ce blue, the other with Utra drag it just slightly on your palette to get the colors to mixing a bit.(but don't look to mix your colors, keep brush straight, equal pressure so bristles hit the surface the same way)
2. Ce Blue towards horizon, Utra towards zenith drag your brush as far as it will go. You can go back and forth but be steady not starting at another point eventually you're brush will dry so you'll be feathering the color but
don't use the brush if too dry.
3. Here you should have your dividing line of sorts but better then one stroke at a time, go in and blend, (at this point thin layers works best) where you might see that the bristles have skipped. Should say a soft brush does best with this. And size well that depends on the size of your work.
4 You should just be able to continue with a thin layer of Ultra and not have too many skip lines, but if you do just blend with water or with whatever else you work with. For me the water works best.

Okay here's what it looks like with a single stroke and a double loaded brush. My Ultra Marine all gone and arriving soon I hope but this is just to give you some idea. Used whatever colors I had up on palette.

Now that's two back and forth passes, but you can go back in like I said and blend it in better, light touch semi wet brush otherwise you'll lift the paint, but should give you less of a demarcation line. You actually only have to do this I'm thinking where you want your subtle shift in color. The problem really lies with how big your work is. I wish I could see it, can you post a photo. Anyway you can repeat this even on a big surface but you have to match up your stokes, starting from one end to the other the best but
maybe you can fudge the process so it'll work for you.

Wish I could offer you more but I hope maybe this might help some.
To be honest if all else fails I can't see any harm in leaving it all Ultramarine blue, that should look fantastic with Poppies.

Before you do anything tho play with it on a piece of paper takes just a little getting use to, if you decide to go this route. Let me know how you make out please and would really love to see the piece.

Elaine

Florals/Botanicals,

Last edited by noodle1 : 01-02-2009 at 08:48 PM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Here's my final study panel, came up a little lighter then the actual panel, think I forgot to turn my light away, I apologize.

Florals/Botanicals,

Last edited by noodle1 : 01-02-2009 at 09:24 PM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Immortalized
Oregon Art Dork

Hails from Liberia

That's beautiful, Noodles....

Youre the Queen of Clouds !
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 PM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

Elaine, if I showed you one of my clouds, could you analyze it and show how I could have made it better?
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Resting in Peace
60mi North of NYC

Hails from United States

Good Morning.

Why Ray you make me blush, thanks kiddo...now come on join in!!

F.Sue - Please post it! I'd be most honored. I was hoping that there would be works new and old that we all could discuss, suggest on, I'm not the pro here by any means but whatever I have to offer is yours.

Okay new day and new beginning....
Thought I'd put in a few photos of scenery, clouds within everyday landscapes. I know you have tons of references of your own and from the links, these are not necessarily for use but just visuals. I'm sure tho if you were to just want to practice using them it would be okay, I found no copyrights or royalty statements but just to be sure I'd suggest perhaps if you do use them using them as reference, color shape etc.

First are from where I live, Hudson Valley New York, some from Newburgh where I grew up;
Newburgh Beacon Bridge...waterfront on Hudson

Downings Park - In city of Newburgh, use to play and ice skate in this park.

A single view of part of the Hudson Valley looking towards the south I believe, towards the city.

These were just interesting in shape and color to me hope to you as well.

Will post some very beautiful and interesting sunsets later, the more we see I can't help think the more we can learn...see you in a little while.

Florals/Botanicals,
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Northern Minnesota

Hails from United States

Beautiful!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Southwestern Ohio

Hails from United States

This is a great thread! Thanks for covering this topic. As someone who is trying to improve his skills in general, and more specifically, as an aviation artist, this information is invaluable. I don't have the time to experiment right now so I will try to apply some of these tips into my current painting. I'll definately be watching.

Andy