WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 02:48 AM
San Jose, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Classroom Thread - Symbols Practice

OK, here's a quick demo of how I do my trees. It's a little sloppy, but you get the idea.

1. Basic sketch

2. Under painting

3. First highlight

Loading sponge with dark green then light green on the tip of the sponge

4. 2nd highlight

5. Final highlight

6. Add branches

7. Highlight trunk and branches
(No time to do all the details)
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 04:50 AM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Great thread Ann!

For some reason landscapes just don't 'do it' for me. I love viewing them, standing in them, soaking them up but when it comes to painting them I just see a mass of brown, blue and green...and absolutely no inspiration.
I'm hoping that my sketchbook travels this year along with my love of architechture will help break the barriers and some kind of electric bolt will snap me out of this, as I am surrounded by beautiful landscape here in the fens and it's such a shame I feel no urge to paint it!

Well deserved rating on this thread...Bravo!

*Location Sketchbook 2007* - MY BLOG
-GLASS DEMO
"Love art... Of all lies, it is the least untrue." - Gustave Flaubert, letter (1846)
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 07:28 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

That is a good link Metalhead, thanks for posting it. I like Mark Newton's work very much as it is fresh and expressive.

Thanks for the demo photos of the trees, Ex-Fisherman. I like the way you laid them out for us so we can see each step. They will prove very helpful to us as we practice trees.

Hi Anita, no doubt in my mind you would do as well painting landscapes as you do with each subject you now paint. You have a gift, for sure!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I darkened some of the clouds. Then painted the light in the clouds with gesso mixed with a touch of cadmium red light or with cadmium yellow medium.

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Prattville, AL

Hails from United States

yes, thanks for that link metalhead. i added it to my favorites (as i did with this thread!) so i can go back to it again later.

also thanks ex-fisherman for your step-by-step on trees. i love seeing other folks techniques!!

ann, i bought daler-rowney gesso last time and it seems a bit thick. i thinned it down a little and put 2 coats on a canvas and let them dry. then i put on another coat of gesso and blended in a sky. dipping one corner of the hake brush in water sure seemed to help a lot!! in all of my other attempts, i ended up with lots of brush strokes showing but not this time. i didn't get around to adding any clouds tho. i had a migraine come on. it happens a lot when we have stormy weather headed our way (your clouds in your lastest photo look like some that are rolling into my neck of the woods right now!). it's kind of hard to focus on things with a migraine. hopefully i'll be able to give the clouds a shot tonight.

Check out my webshots albums. click here
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 09:19 AM
A Local Legend
Upper Michigan

Hails from United States

Ann, you may have explained this before, and I apologize if you did, but why would someone decide to mix with gesso vs. white? (I've always thought of gesso as just a primer.)

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Hi Linda: I am not Ann, but I too use gesso. The reason is it is much more opaque then white, and it mixes very well with paint, I use the thick and can thin it down with a little water. Very little water. I mix it with a color i want to use as an under coat and to blend in skies and etc. It may not be for everyone, but I like it. Jan
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 10:57 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Screechin, hope the migraine is past and your stormy weather. I was pleased to hear that the bit of water on the brush helped with the blending and less brush strokes.

Jan, it is just my personal preference to use gesso rather than white paint. I found gesso to be easier to get a creamy mixture for blending plus, as Jan said, it is opaque. Also the gesso is more absorbent than white paint. I had a used canvas and painted over it with Titanium white. It felt stiff whereas, a used canvas covered with gesso still feels very pliant or workable. Besides I love how the gesso works when painting clouds.

Hi Jan, thanks for giving Linda an answer. I'm a bit under the weather this morning with a rather stiff neck and leg. Aging has it perks but it also has its pains ha ha.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Vancouver, BC

Hails from Canada

I'm going to throw these clouds in, as this is what I've been working on. Please feel free to use this as a reference for your cloud practices as well.

I'll have to post the work photo later, but I can describe it right now - mud on blue. Sigh. I'll have to re-gesso it, and try again.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 12:42 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thanks for the photo, Laurie. Beautiful color in those clouds.

Why not let it dry thoroughly and then just gesso where you want the cloud formations? I understand quite well about mud lol. I think we have all been there several times.

I am gessoing a used canvas so it will take a couple of coats of thick gesso to get it primed somewhat smoothly. Then I am going to divide it into four sections like Jerry Y. did in his class. Painting a sky in each section, then painting a mountain in one, a tree in one, grass in one and the last one, rocks. Hope it goes as planned! The purpose of this is to get us to look at forms, shapes, and values.

I also meant to say thank you everyone for rating this thread. I hope it is useful for us all. So to that end, if you know of anything that would add to our knowledge base and skills, please feel free to post! Thanks!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Here is a practice I did this morning of trees(some clouds). I will explain.

1. This is the undercoat; Burnt sienna, ultramarine blue, and purple.

2. this is the first highlights. With the undercoat I have added gesso. If the color is too blue or purple, add some burnt sienna. Then dry brush the highlights in.

3. I have added more highlights with gesso and a touch of orange. (sunshine).

4. The last step is the mixture of blue, purple, and gesso to make a reflected highlight.

The evergreen trees.

5. I mix hookers green and purple and with the brush paint in the trunk. I then start in the middle of the tree I work up then down until I have the tree full- 6.

7. I have added the beginning highlights with mixture of hookers green and purple and gesso. Again you may have to add some green if it is too purple.

8. The final highlights are thalo yellow green and a small amount of hookers green and gesso. I hope you enjoy and C&C welcome. Jan The picturer is a little dark.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 01:31 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

Success! Ann, it worked! More or less, but yes, it worked! Here are my photos...

I used my wet-on-dry technique to lay a graded sky (two of them actually, I figured I'd need a spare panel for practice but in the end it just... worked!).

I then blobbed white on (direct from the bottle) and pushed it around with the brush for the white part, then layered in grey. I'd also go at it with a wet brush here and there which also helped with the blending. Layered in some more white where needed (and to add that cloud that sticks out in front of the main cloud). I then added that treeline for the heck of it but I'm glad I did, it really pulls it together as a sky.

Not perfect, still some things I'd change, but wow! What a switch from my muddlings 2 days ago!

You're a great instructor ! Ann, can you show us some water techniques too when you get the chance? BTW, I LOVE your total step-by-stepness with the photos, it makes a huge difference.
Attached Images

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 01:36 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

Question: I took the book "brushwork essentials" out of the library yesterday and haven't gotten far in it yet, but it does say to never push the brush as it's too hard on the brush, but I confess, I pushed it a bit, it really helps with the cloud wisps. Any tips on push-less wisp-ing?
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2007, 03:03 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Jan, good tree exercises. Thanks for sharing the colors and how you did them. That is useful information for us all. I also meant to mention how much I like your wispy clouds!

Polygon, hooray that was really good news to hear, that it worked for you. I really like the nicely blended sky you started with too. Oh yes, they look like clouds! One thing I was taught was not to use straight white but to add just a touch of another color to very lightly tint it. White is rather stark and is usually saved for the very brightest of highlights. Even then it usually will have another color mixed into it in the palest of color.

Sure, I will try to do water for you as well. This is all about things we see in the landscape. I will show you what little I know, then you all can practice to your heart's content to get better and better, and can teach me. Sounds like a deal to me!
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2007, 01:19 AM
Calgary

Hails from Canada

Done my cloud study I like it, personally. I love doing these things on paper.

#75   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Very colorful clouds, I like them. Jan