WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:20 PM

Brilliant Colored Ink Watermedia

Just got back from Mesquite, Nevada. While I was there I visited a small artist community and browsed a gallery Sorry I can’t remember the town name/gallery. Still on jet lag. I have done just a few water media’s.

While I was there I had a long talk with a gallery owner while my wife shopped. She said their water media artist was trying pen and ink and water color. I said like the British pen and water colors? She said “...no, no...this is all that <new?> brilliant colored ink. It was using not black pen. I asked was it water color sticks, pencils, crayons or pastels? She said no it was ink...” However she could not tell me anything about the ink (was it waster soluble, etc), paper being used etc... She had sold the first and only painting with the brilliant colored ink and water color. Maybe they made their own ink?

So... does anyone have an idea what <new?> brilliant colored ink she was so impressed with to make water media?

I did look in our library at the Stabilo fineliner pens( not that brilliant)?

Thanks for you help

Rich
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Deep in the American South

Hails from United States
Re: Brilliant Colored Ink Watermedia

Could be Bombay Colored India Inks. Could be acrylic inks. Inktense pencils, maybe.

Art is life's dream interpretation.
- Otto Rank
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Probably alcohol inks.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the answers...Yeah, Bombay Colored India Inks or alcohol inks could be the mixed media Ink she was talking about...

So how would this work? Would I use, say, watercolor as an under painting and then use Bombay inks or alcohol inks on top of this.

When I lasted worked with ink I got a really hard edges and once dried they were not going to move. It seems this would make layering very easy without messing up the previous layers. But I’m guessing you cannot do the same type of blending / modifying that you can do with watercolors after they have dried? Can I assume the inks are intended to be used relatively undiluted to be more intense than the watercolor? And are these inks light fast?

If so I may give it a try since I am looking for something new to try. Like these:
https://www.pinterest.com/sneriwaldr...nd-watercolor/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2019, 10:12 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Once dry the inks are insoluble. Watercolors are more easily manipulated. I usually do not dilute the inks as that lessens the color properties. Lightfast, yes, has been my experience. I only got a few bottles of the colored India inks to play with then later bought more. You might try experimenting with them and with the alcohol inks. (Alcohol inks have to be applied to a slick support such as deli/freezer paper, glossy photo paper, Yupo, etc., otherwise they sink into a non slick support and will not move. Use extender/blending solution or 91% alcohol with them, not rubbing alcohol).
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeK
Once dry the inks are insoluble. Watercolors are more easily manipulated. I usually do not dilute the inks as that lessens the color properties. Lightfast, yes, has been my experience. I only got a few bottles of the colored India inks to play with then later bought more. You might try experimenting with them and with the alcohol inks. (Alcohol inks have to be applied to a slick support such as deli/freezer paper, glossy photo paper, Yupo, etc., otherwise they sink into a non slick support and will not move. Use extender/blending solution or 91% alcohol with them, not rubbing alcohol).

Thank you for the great advice. I will post what I produce...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 11:18 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

You're welcome!
Here is a link to one of my blog posts showing an ink demo if you'd like to see it
HERE
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2019, 05:16 PM
Western Washington state, USA

Hails from United States

Rich, some artist-quality, transparent acrylic paints can give you very intense colors when they are diluted just barely enough to flow like water. The most intense ones I've found: the quinacridones (reds, magentas, purples), the phthalos (blue and green), the pyrroles (red, orange), as well as good old ultramarine blue. The most intense transparent yellow acrylic I've found is py128 in the Amsterdam Expert series.

It's important to use artist-grade paints for this. The student-grade get weak with even a little dilution. My favorite for pigment strength is M. Graham.

I'll have to get some of the alcohol ink kay suggested to compare them. (Kay, thanks for the demo link.)