WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2019, 09:52 PM

Hails from Brazil
What software has real color blending besides artrage?

I discovered Artrage when looking for blending modes that gives green when mixing yellow and blue, contrary to the default grey in RGB mode. I know it has what I look for and I have Artrage Lite from as a bonus from my tablet, making the main program 30% cheaper, but still it is somewhat expensive, so I am looking into alternatives that also can simulate paint mixtures. Does anyone know of programs that have it?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2019, 02:34 AM

Re: What software has real color blending besides artrage?

I think most of the painterly-type art programs can do that? but it does depend on your technique. Paint Tool Sai is my software and there is a color mixing palette built in. However if I mix pure computer yellow (#ffff00) and pure computer blue (#0000ff) I also get gray. For nice mixer colors I have to pick yellows and blues that already have cool or warm tint.

I just investigated affordability for you because it's been a while since I bought my copy. Price is in yen because it's Japanese software. According to currency converter 5400 yen works out to around 50 usd so it's a little bit cheaper than Artrage at 80.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2019, 09:31 AM

Hails from Brazil

I am in the impression that most of them don't. I know Krita doesn't and coudnt find anything on search's.

If SAI gives grey then it mixes in RGB mode. It means yellow and blue acts as complementary colors. This is different from real life paints. Look at this video to see what artrage is doing: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=2ahUKEwjo6cG jxY7iAhXwtlkKHYlRCN8QwqsBMAN6BAgGEAo&usg=AOvVaw0VT JzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov. It uses another calculations to blend.

Thank you for investigating the price point. It is not so different from artrage with the discount, though.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2019, 03:48 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Check out Revelle.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raichu
I am in the impression that most of them don't. I know Krita doesn't and coudnt find anything on search's.

If SAI gives grey then it mixes in RGB mode. It means yellow and blue acts as complementary colors. This is different from real life paints. Look at this video to see what artrage is doing: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...N8ZFOD4xbU2nov. It uses another calculations to blend.

Thank you for investigating the price point. It is not so different from artrage with the discount, though.

krita does it.. I know.. I have the code open in front of me and it is the correct formula. One thing that usually is not considered is that PIGMENT mixing also affect the value (because it s a real world interaction and the second law of thermodynamics is unbendable and will demand more losss of energy) while several softwares can pretend the entropy does not exist.

Also MULTIPLY blending mode might be the mode you want . ADDITION will GRAY out when you add another color over a color that is mostly a single channel. That is how the math indeed work for that.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Last edited by tiago.dagostini : 05-10-2019 at 09:41 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:02 PM

Hails from Brazil

Thank you Doug. I looked for it and artrage at 56 wins from rebelle at 89. It ends being the cheapest

Tiago, that's weird. I asked the developer and the very creator of the program said it was scrapped from the most recent versions of Krita because it was unstable. I've tried the blending modes at the time and no mode behaved like it. There was one that came closer, but still wasn't the deal, it might be multiply. I'm in the phone now, in my computer I can check this out.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Thank you Doug. I looked for it and artrage at 56 wins from rebelle at 89. It ends being the cheapest

Tiago, that's weird. I asked the developer and the very creator of the program said it was scrapped from the most recent versions of Krita because it was unstable. I've tried the blending modes at the time and no mode behaved like it. There was one that came closer, but still wasn't the deal, it might be multiply. I'm in the phone now, in my computer I can check this out.

Krita dropped simulating the value shift during the blend.. that yes (because that varies from medium to medium so you end up in a position where you cannot make everyone happy) . But it still get green as a result of combining blue and red when you multiply.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2019, 05:28 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States

Try Photoshop
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Hails from Brazil

Multiply is another thing altogether. When it should be giving green, the color gives black (yellow+3) or a deeper green (yellow+2). Oranges (red+5) or puples (red+4) (red+7) also don't behave as expected.
It's not a blend mode meant to mimic real life color mixing.

Photoshop? Can you say what mode that would be? Because I searched and found nothing.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 06:30 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:

Multiply is another thing altogether. When it should be giving green, the color gives black (yellow+3) or a deeper green (yellow+2). Oranges (red+5) or puples (red+4) (red+7) also don't behave as expected.
It's not a blend mode meant to mimic real life color mixing.

Photoshop? Can you say what mode that would be? Because I searched and found nothing.

You mean a subtractive model? Subtractive model usually is not supported (at least completely) in software because it has no hard advantages and has a lot of complexities (When designing other tools like masks).

In digital you have all colors.. All available at instant.. no need to mix no need to buy tubes. You do not need to mix paints. You want to have green paint it green directly. The blend modes are there just to deal with the merging of the colors when a region connect to other (and for that multiply usually is enough so that you do not end up with a huge contrast at those parts)

If your intention if to paint a large area green.. it does not make sense in digital to put yellow and then blue for that.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 10:26 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Have you tried Autodesk Sketchbook? That one is free. Artrage isn't that expensive though compared to some. I'm kicking myself for buying Corel Painter now that there are these free programs available. But maybe those free programs have their drawbacks. Blue and yellow do make green in Painter.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 09:42 PM

Hails from Brazil

Double post.

Last edited by Raichu : 05-13-2019 at 10:01 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 09:58 PM

Hails from Brazil

I saw the price for Corel Painter, and omg, almost fell off my chair!
I will test Sketchbook

Tiago, I may want to add a transparent blue instead of solid green, for example. Besides, I think in oil paint mode and that would ease my work.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2019, 04:53 PM

You could try the latest alpha release of MyPaint 2.0, I've been hacking in some of this pigment color stuff for a couple years now:
http://mypaint.org/blog/2019/01/26/MyPaint-2.0-alpha/

The default blending mode is now a 10-channel, spectrally upsampled non-linear weighted geometric mean model somewhat similar to a (simplified) Kubelka-Munk model. This model is described pretty well in the papers by Lionel Simonot and Mathieu Hébert:

(from Between additive and subtractive color mixings:
intermediate mixing models, Lionel Simonot and Mathieu Hébert 2013)

Most of the model that I implemented was described by Scott Allen Burns, but there were some important limitations to figure out around the alpha channel and optimizing for speed.
http://scottburns.us/subtractive-color-mixture/
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2019, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

The problematic part of implementing such models in software is that several of the tools that we are used in software do not work (for example all the filters behave very badly.. very very badly because they are based on specific algebric properties that subtractive models .. screw up with) well with this model, so that results in a dicotomy of either you please the digital crowd.. or you please the traditionalists.