WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:05 AM

Newbie canvas makerer..

Hi all I really like the idea of making my own canvases. Currently just been painting on paper or canvas sheets but want too move to canvas now and save a bit of money by making my own. Plus I like the Idea of creating my own from scratch.

Those that already do this, where's the cheapest place to get materials? I'm looking at cotton to start with at less expensive bit still seems pricey on art websites. Seems to me it's cheaper just to buy a ready made cotton canvas but is this actually the case? Is there any particular cotton I go for? I'm from UK so US based stores etc are out!
Thanks in advance
Jo

Last edited by Rubio : 04-23-2019 at 06:35 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Newbie canvas makerer..

Making / prepping your own surfaces is a great way to get exactly what you want and save some money. You may want to also try some rigid panels such as tempered hardboard, ACM Panels like Dibond both with and without canvas on top. I prefer no canvas, painting on the primed surface directly.

With or without canvas applied to a rigid panel, here are some of the reasons to go with a rigid support:
  • The paint layer is less prone to cracking or separating from the surface
  • There is less risk of impact damage
  • No chance of the painting support tearing or sagging from expansion / contraction.
  • They take up less space than canvas on stretcher bars
  • Rigid panels are easier to produce than stretched canvas
  • Longer Life*
  • More options for the surface, from glass smooth to very heavy textures.
  • Easier to prep than making your own stretched canvas
  • Painting directly on primed, Tempered Hardboard is significantly less expensive than stretched canvas
  • Easier to frame - pop it in the frame and insert glazing points on the back - done!.
  • Less expensive frames are available vs deeper rabbets for stretched canvas
  • No movement under brush pressure (some people like the bounce of a stretched canvas - I don't.)

* Longevity for the actual rigid panels is generally considered equal to or better than canvas. ACM panels probably having the longest life of any of them since they will survive for decades out in the sun, rain and snow. (Just the panel, not with a painting on it.) A piece of primed canvas would likely not last even one year outdoors in the sun without some serious damage.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2019, 05:55 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I agree and could not have said it better than Contu.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2019, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

I agree with hardboard over canvas (any day). But if you want to paint on canvas, prices have come down so much for small, med-small canvas that unless you're stretching a larger size and/or in volume I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Today I saw good quality 24" x 36" deep gallery wrapped canvas for $12.00.