Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Different Strokes Hosting Schedule: 2019 -2022

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author

Our monthly Forum Challenge, Different Strokes, is hosted by a different member each month, and all participants are welcome to add their names to the Schedule if they would like to host – just choose a month and we’ll keep the thread updated.

All previous Different Strokes threads can be found here.

Our Schedule thread for 2019, plus ‘rules’, plus suggestions!

Over the past few years we have enjoyed interesting and challenging challenges – some have increased our understanding of artists and ‘isms’, others have made us think more deeply about our world and society.

All the host has to do is have an idea, set a theme, provide any references of knowledge links you think may be needed!

For example, themes might be:

[*] A Winter Sky (or summer, spring, autumn, storm, rain etc).

[*] Seaside; Lake vista; Mountainous country; Rural Landscape; Town-scape; Village … etc

[*] Figures: Children playing; Groups; Individuals; Dancers; Sports activities

[*] Portraits: Children; Adults; animals

[*] Wildlife – in the wild or domestic

[*] Still Life – a wide and varied genre!

[*] A descriptive text explaining a reference you have chosen but which remains hidden from the participants until the ‘reveal date’. Your text would describe your ref. as closely as possible to give people a mental image and verbal ‘facts’ from which to work. The type of image could be anything of your choice!

[*] Monochrome paintings – single hue plus white and black.

[*] Use of complementaries or specific palletes

[*] An artist or group or ‘..ism’!

[*] Any other theme!

When you host, your invitation thread should include your own text but also the following –

[*]All entries must be for this challenge and in acrylics – any type of acrylic.

[*]Join in the discussion about the project – it’s friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images!

[*]Help can be gained from asking but also from looking for resource materials elsewhere – the RIL e.g.

[*]A ‘reveal’ date for all is 21st of the month – that gives us 3 weeks to make the work, plus an extra week for latecomers ;)
      [/CENTER][/COLOR]

Suggested text for opening post of hosting thread:

[FONT=”Verdana]

WELCOME TO THE **date/month** DIFFERENT STROKES CHALLENGE

If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread here
      Please read the guidelines below carefully.

GUIDELINES:

On the first of each month a theme/subject, reference photo (or photos) will be posted in a thread entitled “Different Strokes”.

All entries must be for this challenge and in acrylics – any type of acrylic.
      Join in the discussion about the project – it’s friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images!
      Help can be gained from asking but also from looking for resource materials elsewhere – the RIL e.g.

A ‘reveal’ date for all is 21st of the month – that gives us 3 weeks to make the work, plus an extra week for latecomers.

Interpret the ideas any way you wish – be inventive, realistic, influenced by another style or ‘…ism’ – it’s up to you!

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 21ST OF THE MONTH.** Much more exciting and fun to see what ‘masterpieces’ appear!
      If work is uploaded early it will be moved to a safe place until 21st.

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.

**Please note, the single ‘reveal’ date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations ……
      that’s the whole point of it being called ‘Different Strokes’!
      By all means ask questions in the thread or initiate discussion about the challenge – just don’t post images!!!

The challenge this month is …………….** your own description of the challenge**

You may crop, combine, zoom in and select a portion, use any part for pattern work ……. just let the imagination roam![/font][/center]

NB – to ‘cut and paste’ the above text into your hosting thread, click the ‘quote’ button, bottom right, copy the text in its entirety and paste it into your New Thread post box – the link to the previous challenges will then be included for you.

2019 Hosts:

January ………………… Fedetony ….. (Vehicles)

February…………………..Mayfly

March
      ……………………..Old Hobbyist

April
      …………………….. ColinS

May ………………… Vegaskip … landscape with people

June …………………….. Charlie’s mum …. Movement

July………………………..Merriweather.. Through a window

August
      ………………….. Mayfly ….. Emotions

September……………. fedetony ……. Still Life

October …………………. Charlie’s Mum …… Texture

November
      …………………… ColinS

December repeat of Fedetony’s September challenge.

JANUARY. — Charlie’s Mum – Winter

FEBRUARY —ColinS

MARCH …. Charlie’s Mum

APRIL ….. Lavender Frost

MAY …………….. Merriweather

JUNE ….. Road Less Taken …… Street art.

JULY …….. Charlie’s Mum…… greyscale ref. Still life.

AUGUST …………… ColinS……Impressionist Stylr

SEPTEMBER ……… CindyPaintings….Pop Art Portrait (Person or animal)

OCTOBER …………. Mayfly…Spooky scene

NOVEMBER …………. Charlie’s Mum

DECEMBER?

JANUARY …………….. ColinS

FEBRUARY…………….Ozeansbay

MARCH ………………… Assaf (photos of Rome)

APRIL ……………………. old-hobbyist (grisaille technique)

MAY ………………………..  Merriweather

JUNE ………………………. Assaf

JULY ……………………..Maureen – Charlie’s Mum

AUGUST ……………….. Ozeanbay

SEPTEMBER ………….

OCTOBER …………………

NOVEMBER …………….. Sheila aka Road Less Taken

January…..Charlie’s Mum

February…ColinS

March….Ozeanbay

April…Mayfly

May …….. cmorpaint …. Cindy

June …. ….. Maureen .. Charlie’s Mum

July ….. Colin …. ColinS ……..(Summertime)

August ….. Virginia …(Animals)

September ….. Maureen

October ….. Michelle … LavenderFrost

November …. Call … Mayfly

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Maureen I will take on April.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Thanks Colin :thumbsup:

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Any volunteers?

Cheers, Maureen

Carl/Mayfly added to August.

Cheers, Maureen

fedetony

Sorry, I just realized I had June month challenge, :(.. Its my fault, just did not set a reminder… Thank you Maureen to make a wonderful challenge. My apologies for any inconvenience caused. I would Gladly take any from September on. Unfortunately, on July I’ll be outside the country not allowing me to participate.

Federico Garcia
          My Blog
          C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Fede, please don’t beat yourself up about it, things happen!
          We’re very grateful that you may be able to take September.:)

I just hope you’ll have time to paint!:lol:

Cheers, Maureen

fedetony

I’ll do a movement painting for you Maureen…. ;)

Federico Garcia
              My Blog

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

:thumbsup: – thank you!;)

Cheers, Maureen

Merriweather

Maureen, I will do July if you like.

I was reluctant to offer June, because I am going away, and in Aus that means no internet. It may of course mean, If I go to a local library, mostly they will allow travellers/ visitors to log in – all assuming there is a library – I don’t know.

I see you have put your name down for both, so If I am out of order, pls say so.

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

I will sign up for November, Maureen.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Thank you both, it’s much appreciated.:)

Merri – just a spacing mistake! …. I’ve added you to July ….. have a good holiday.😁

Cheers, Maureen

fedetony

is there no survival expectations for 2020?:rolleyes:
                      or I just can’t find the hosting schedule ? :lol: :D

Federico Garcia
                      My Blog

Thanks for the nudge Fede …. first three months of 2020 added!:lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Merriweather

Maureen, happy to do hosting in the mid year months, too risky in the heat months… My air con is old, and the damn thing wont work in temps over 40, It trips the main switch, so happy to do May when we get there.

Cheers
                          Merri

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
                        • The topic ‘Different Strokes Hosting Schedule: 2019 -2022’ is closed to new replies.