WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2018, 06:04 PM

Re: Digital art ergonomics - what's your setup?

I have two set-ups one from home office and one from my works studio.
So first set up is a 22inch cintiq. Raised monitor behind it and set as extended displays. Keyboard on the left of table and mouse to the right of it.

The other I just have laptop to the left of my tablet which acts as my second monitor too.

Before i had the laptop I had a pc set up and I had a monitor either side of the tablet, so three monitors. Again keyboard to the left and mouse to the right.

I'm a concept artist btw
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2018, 11:25 PM
Enthusiast

My studio is too cold to enter so I have an ipad pro and work comfortably from the sofa in front of the TV. Can't get any better than that. I do however like seeing your studio setup and reading about what you have and what you work on. They look like functional comfortable studios.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2018, 10:15 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by plnelson
For instance, lots of artists who had the new graphical digitizing tablets (like the Cintiq) had them in an almost vertical orientation that I can't imaging drawing on for long periods of time because you'd have to hold you arms up in the air.

It might not be that bad, just like painting at an easel. It's probably a good idea to prop it up at least a bit because, like any kind of drawing, having it lay flat can kind of distort your point of view.

floblue, I also like painting on my tablet on the couch sometimes. And Procreate is getting better and better.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2018, 05:26 PM

I have it not quite upright...it's slightly leant back.
Also you can get an ergo arm rest that your attach to your desk and it keeps your arm at the right height for the shortcut keys. I use the touch stripe as my brush size so my arm is constantly up
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2019, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderFrost
It might not be that bad, just like painting at an easel. It's probably a good idea to prop it up at least a bit because, like any kind of drawing, having it lay flat can kind of distort your point of view.

I paint at a much larger scale so I use totally different muscles than I would for fine detail drawing on a 16" tablet. If I had to do fine detail drawing on my canvas at my easel my arm would get tired real fast.

I want to see how commercial artists and illustrators who are putting in 8-hour days all week have their setup to minimize strain and fatigue and stay productive.

There are zillions of pictures and videos on the web showing setups but they never seem to show the actual ARTIST in them so you see their arm and wrist and shoulder and head tilt and other things that affect ergonomics. And I can't find any videos, websites, books, etc, on this.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2019, 10:22 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Yeah, I see what you mean. Doing a quick google search I see tablets set up at varying angles. You might just have to experiment to see what works best for you. And remember to stop and stretch once in a while.

Maybe that's what they mean by suffering for you art.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.