WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2017, 09:27 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Getting to Know Each Other

Woo-hoo!!! Another baby boomer here! Pat, you have had a very interesting and full life so far! I hope the hurricane did not mess you up too badly.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2017, 03:26 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Pat, thanks for sharing. Lovely to get to know you a lot better. You certainly are a busy lady since your 'retirement'. What a lovely thing to have happened after the unpleasantness of separation - meeting the love of your life. My Pete also encourages and supports me and loves me to bits. We are lucky ladies.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2017, 01:24 PM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Very good to meet you in this way, both Pats!
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2017, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast
USA - Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeK
I hope the hurricane did not mess you up too badly.
Yes, that was quite an experience! We stayed with a friend, and her area flooded badly and there were trees blocking most of the roads. Our home was ok, just a lot of damage to the big tree out front. Many homes in worse shape in the more open areas.

All the flooding did some interesting wildlife up through the rivers & canals- - this handsome devil was sunning himself next to the pond across the street from us this morning! My husband thinks he's probably 4-5 feet long!
Attached Images

Pat St.Onge/ FineArtAmerica
PAWS Painter (Etsy)
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2017, 04:51 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Wow Pat, he might be a handsome fellow but I am not sure I would enjoy him as a neighbour. Would have definitely kept my Jack Russel terrier well away from him. She had absolutely no idea how small she was and anything on four legs had to be chased away. I am sure Vivien's Pippa would also be very interested in this big chap!!!

Last edited by chammi kaiser : 10-30-2017 at 12:56 PM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2017, 12:37 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

OMG!!! A big fella and probably hungry!
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast
USA - Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

It was a truly amazing creature - I would love to have touched him, but I do know better, lol. People usually walk there little dogs around the pond, but, oddly enough, I don't see any dogs over there today! (or owners). If he gets to be a problem, I'm sure they'll have him moved to a more appropriate location.

Pat St.Onge/ FineArtAmerica
PAWS Painter (Etsy)
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA

Hails from United States

When viewing your works, I often refer to the descriptions written, so to better "know" you. I found this thread a few months ago, and received immense enjoyment learning about the lives and interests of the other artists. And "learning" seems to be the best word that I can find to describe what makes me tick. Gathering knowledge (a never-ending task) in many subjects throughout my life is ingrained in my DNA.

1960 was my birth year, although hubby Jerry is a "class of '53. We married in 1984, meeting in podiatry (medical) school. Our home is the beautiful Laurel Mountains of Western PA, USA, where we have lived since 1986. There are four distinct season here, and the autumn colors as just as beautiful as New England. Many complain of the snow and cold here, but it is much worse in other areas of the country. Also, the summers are generally not unbearably hot or humid. There is an abundance of wildlife here, and I see a multitude of different birds at my feeder daily. Our neighborhood borders the woods, so we see squirrels, chipmunk, possum, skunk, groundhog, many deer and the occasional brown bear!

My interest in drawing and painting was always present. In my early teens I took an art history and painting course that really piqued my interest. I am also fascinated by foreign languages, and studed French and German in middle and high school respectively. My retention of these was fairly good and studying these again is a future goal. Pursing a career in the arts would have been my "dream" choice, but I wanted to be certain I would be able to make a living, so I chose medicine. All the science and lab courses I had in undergraduate and podiatry school were difficult and time consuming, (plus I was working my way through school) so I didn't participate in art. Soooo, I became a podiatrist, which is similar to a medical doctor in the US, as they do surgery, prescribe meds, etc. I wanted regular business hours and a life outside my practice, hence podiatry. Jerry and I spent a lot of time with our patients, and treated them like family, as we felt most physicians overcrowd their schedules and rush patients. It was a real "mom and pop" operation, as we did everything. Due to a multitude of regulations, much of medicine now is more about the paperwork than the patient; the charting regulations are ridiculous. One need an army of employees and departments, so the days of the solo practitioner are gone. After nearly 30 years and thousands of wonderful patients, we retired in 2014.

Neither of us had a pet before we were blessed with Jake, a silver gray DSH tabby in 2001 when he was two. A neighbor had taken him in as a stray but the other cats in the household would not accept him. I always wanted a cat, and he was our best buddy. Being an indoor/outdoor cat, he had the best of both worlds, and enjoyed an excellent quality of life. Friendly and loving to us, but shy with others, he was very playful and would wrestle on the floor with Jerry much like a dog would! In 2014, we lost him (relatively quickly, thankfully) to kidney failure at age 15. It was a few months before we retired and were in the process of closing our practice. As it was my first experience with death, I was severely grief stricken and I don't think I could bear that again. I had planned to spend time drawing/painting him when I retired, as I had little time to pursue artwork when self-employed.

Despite my fascination with the talent on display here, I struggle to have confidence in my artistic abilities. My tendency is to make too big of a "project" of what I start, instead of enjoying the process. As is common, I am my own worst critic. Often it becomes a source of frustration instead of escape. Often I make excuses and look for other activities, so as not to be disappointed in my efforts. Despite a fair amount of self teaching and reading, I find it challenging to "get started" and strive to an original, creative interpretation of a subject instead of copying the photo. Wet Canvas has been a wonderful source of encouragement, information, and inspiration. The local arts center here is only a few miles from my home, and is lovely. The late Diane Maxey and Tony Couch taught workshops there, and stated it was one of the nicest ones in the country. Most of the activities/classes are geared towards crafts/kids, but there are some fine arts classes. There is a group of quite talented ladies that meet a few hours weekly to work on current projects. I've joined them a few times, but the emphasis seems to be on socializing, so little artwork is done.

Animals are notoriously difficult, and I was hesitant to do them when I first started painting. But now my love for the subject has overtaken (most of) my fears! For me, it seems "easier" in the composition department, as most animal photos do not require the decision making of a landscape of a still life.

A very important part of our day is exercise and fitness. Poor self care (diet, lack of exercise) is responsible for many health problems as many view technology and advances in care to abdicate their responsibility. Plus one can enjoy a better quality of life when fit and healthy! I run and do yoga and stair walking several times a week, and lift weights twice weekly. Since we retired, Jerry and I took up recurve archery and .22 handgun target shooting. My reading consists of murder mysteries and detective fiction, mainly British authors. We are huge Anglophiles and love the British (and Scandinavian) detective shows and any serious dramas. I buy the ones that are not shown in the US and then resell them on eBay. We've taken a few trips since we retired, and I would like to do a lot more travelling, to experience other cultures and architecture.

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 04-01-2018 at 10:48 PM.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2018, 07:15 AM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

It’s very nice to meet you here, Joy, and to hear about you and your husband. 👋👋
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Hello Joy, so nice to make your acquaintance and learn about your life and accomplishments! Yes, the medical field has changed a lot. Sorry to hear about your loss of your kitty companion; is that a profile painting of him by your name?
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2018, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Yes, it is. I should have noted that, but there does not seem to be a way to add that now to my original post. It is the painting of which I am most proud.

Hearing from any of the artists would be fantastic!
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Joy, what a great way to get to know you. You have shared so much of your life with us and I , for one, feel I have a new friend way across the oceans. I am delighted that you have found your muse in painting animals and your love for them shows in your work. It is always heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet. I know all about that but one tends to remember the funny things they did, the joy they brought into our lives and the loss becomes easier to bear.
Big warm hug for you Joy.

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2018, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Thank you kindly, Chammi, for all that you do at WC and your sentiments. I do my best to remember the happy years we had with Jake. At the time, I thought I would go out of my mind with grief.

Also, I meant to put a recent photo (December 2017) in my profile, but neglected to do so. Could this possibly added to such by a moderator? And, of course, make it smaller if need be. TIA.

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2018, 09:48 AM

Hi all. I am new to speaking in any forums. But I decided to come out of my shell to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Nikki Tognetti, a 43 -year-old animal artist from Santa Rosa California. I live on a small family farm where I raise a small herd of Barbados sheep. Once I learn how to upload photos here, I'll be adding to the reference pile with plenty of sheep photos. It springs so lambs are being born. YAY.

Over the decades I've been dabbling in many mediums from graphite to oils until I finally fell in love with my medium of choice, acrylics. I am self-taught only getting tidbits of knowledge through books and recently youtube. I'm back in the art swing after a few years of of a hiatus from art due to a family tragedy and loss. I found myself very rusty after all this time as well as coming to grips that I have not been in touch with any artists since high school and graduation. That's pretty sad in my book. So I'm coming out and joining the forums to communicate and share my work with you fine creative people. I'm not used to giving critique but I am up for praise of other works. I'm pretty shy and soft-spoken hopefully that will change.

The monthly challenges sound very fun and I will be participating. I can't wait until I see right April has in store.

Thank you and happy painting and drawing!
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2018, 11:20 AM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

He’ll, Nike. How very nice to meet you and to hear about yourself. It’s good that you will be joining the monthly challenges and I hope you enjoy them. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful. I look forward to seeing your sheep and your art work. 🐾🐾😎