WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 03:36 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: P.A.L. (Paint-a-Long): Edges, lost and found, hard and soft....

Susan, love the color of your pot now. The apples are looking good too!
Maureen, Your pot has great textures. I love the hook on your pot. How did you get the rustic look?.
Sandra, looking good now!
Vivien - Don't worry! Once you cover the red, it will look better . I also used the same darks in the bg and pot.
This is what I did.
Stage 1:
I did not do an underpainting but just toned my canvas with cad red. Then made an initial drawing with the brush. Just used any color available on my palette as I will be covering them up later.

Stage 2 - I made a black with Prussian blue, Viridian green and Alzirin crimson. But it ended up bluish, so added some sap green. Used this for the darks and bg. Added various amounts of cad orange, naples yellow to
create the pot color. As I am looking at it, I feel it is too green. Might make it more brownish. Here is where I am at now.
Feel free to shout out your suggestions and comments .
Thanks,
Bhavani

Last edited by bhavani.krishnan : 05-12-2013 at 04:04 AM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 AM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Peeking in from afar. Everyone is doing a great job, butSusan I have to say "Wow!"

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 05:45 AM

Just thought Ill post an update before I goto bed. Lightened the bg a bit and worked on two apples. Used cad red and various shades of greens mixed from my dark for the apples.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Thank you for comments on mine Peeps.

Viv - not sure why you feel this is so bad - it's not and when you get some light tones in you'll see a huge surge forward!
For me, the red is your mid-tone and I like the dark - so just make your light tone (not highlight), add that and POW!

Like the pot Susan! I like the stoneware look of it and glad you decided against green
Those apples are def. apples! Smooth skin, good form, tasty!
Personally, I think you've achieved what we set out to do - you understand the lost and found stuff well now
The handle seems OK to me on screen - only you can tell if it needs more for it's size on canvas ..... the ref one is iron (I think) and heavier with more shadow and less highlight on the little ring holding the bigger one - so perhaps a little more 'lost' sense there.
I'm very tempted to search for an early piece of yours and place it beside this one - I think this is great!

Sandra - This is developing nicely in your own style but I'd still suggest looking at a couple of areas to make it 'read' more cohesively ...
the central negative space between pot and apple is, IMO!, coming forward too much. There's actually an apple there and you can just see a very subtle lighter area and a stalk - I think it needs darkening and softening. The bottom of the top apple is hardly distinguishable from this 'lost' apple.

Then where the body of the pot meets that apple i front - it needs darkening and softening because if you check, the side of the pot really does get lost in shadow and the apple is only very subtly seen - a very soft edge. It should also be softer where it meets its own shadow on the table. (Like you've done in the left apple).
BUT, it depends how far you want to take this without sacrificing your style - tho' I think you can alter the edges without losing style

I hope all that makes sense!

Bhavani - I like where you are! That b/g colour is lovely! The pot body has a nice roundness too.
Central area is good tone - look for the lost apple and it's very subtle lighter bit and stalk ....... watch the tones on the bottom apple/shadow/pot area.
Like the way the highlight makes the whole thing sparkle!

BTW - the rustic look on the pot is just done with touches of paint, a fine-ish brush and tone!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 AM
WC! Guide
New York City

Hails from Puerto Rico

Hi Maureen, was looking for this and found it today. Will try this one too. Good exercise in lost and found shapes, thanks again for hosting.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

You're welcome Lil - glad you can join us.

Wonder if Judy has found it - will send a message just in case

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 12:42 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

I think this is finished.
Struggled with those apples, don't know why, but that BIG one Susan - kept getting bigger for me too!!!
I know the lighter area in the dark area of the front apple is , perhaps, too light, but I'm quite happy with it so I think I'm leaving it.
I've scanned the central area at 400dpi so you can perhaps see the various glazes overlaid - and the rustic bits for Bhavani!
What eventually pulled those apples together for me was a glaze of alizarin crimson!

Apart from that stupid marble table - grrrr - I'm happy with the painting and really enjoyed the exercise and the company!
Now I'm looking forward to seeing the others reach completion - but that doesn't mean you have to hurry!

Detail @ high res.

**My SAA website**
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 PM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Lot's of updates today, so I'm just going to say you're all doing great. Even if you're having doubts, just keep going, it will come together.

Nice finish Maureen.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 03:31 PM

Wow! Maureen, this is stunning! Love the color harmony that sets a beautiful rustic mood to it. I've already scrolled up to admire it a couple of times .. and thanks for the high-res closeup.
Thanks for your comments on mine. I still need to loose the bottom front apple . and find the lost apple in the bg ... I boosted the contrast on the ref picture to get the brighter highlights.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 03:54 PM

oh.. and Happy mother's day, mum and other mum's out there...
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 08:09 PM
120kms south of Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hiya Mum and All... just ducked in for a quick peek at PAL to see what it was all about....
Have never heard the terms Hard and Soft edges before, not surprising though since I dont have access to tuition cept here at WC...
So Im in.. bit late in the day but like Suz I paint fairly fast. I have never tried my hand at still life before, so this will be a real education.

Mum thanks for your info, I learn so much from you, maybe I should start paying you "tuition fee's." (Will you accept an IOU, Im broke)

Hope to get started today...

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. (Thomas Merton)
C&C Most Welcome and Desired.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Thank you, Maureen, for the input. I didn't even realize there was an apple behind the foreground apple.

Here's an updated version.

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Bismarck ND

Hails from United States

Oohhh, this is going to be a good one to try! Wonderful work already! Susan, Love your first one! They are both so different and have their own personalities! Nice Work Sandra. I like the loose style and palette, Maureen, love the yellows and how you make those apples pop, Viv, very interesting the way you start with the red background. Bhavani, I like your process and watching your layers build up.
But give me 2 more weeks---school is almost done! Then I get to have time to do my own things!!! So see you then!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2013, 10:50 PM

Sandra, your changes are working. It looks more dimensional now.
meggs, ruth - hope you get a chance to join
Here is mine. I think it is done unless you guys have any suggestions. I am pretty happy with the pot. Not so sure about the apples. They are not quite so white as the photo has washed out the highlights, but still wondering if I should tone them down. welcome your feedback. BTW, this is on 8*10 stretched canvas.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 AM
120kms south of Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Well as its my day off and its raining, I sat down an applied myself.

This is my idea of an underpainting, from here I will build but the start does tend to take on a life of its own. Im sure I suffer from Dyslexia, so placement is always a problem for me ... Your right Mum that big apple.
does get bigger..

Painting was still wet when I took this, had to catch the light.

(That is not a big dent in the foreground apple, the canvas pad was buckled)

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. (Thomas Merton)
C&C Most Welcome and Desired.

Last edited by meggs : 05-13-2013 at 12:39 AM.